Send a message via Skype™ to Ezionjd
Yamaha CP30 - should i buy?

Just found a Cp30 for sale, around 400$
Should i get it?
Pros/Cons anyone?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

That's too high. $200 is more reasonable. It has basically two sounds--electric piano/clavinet kind of thing and a very thin "harpsichord". The richness of the Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Pianet come from the fact that you've got real hammers hitting real tines. This thing is basically just like a cheap divide down organ. The sound is generated by filtering a cheap buzzing waveform. If you have all of the major electric pianos and you've got money to burn on a novelty keyboard effect, then sure--otherwise no. It's massive, too. Would take up a lot of space for not such a great result.
Ezionjd
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you for the quick reply!
So i guess i might have to pass on it :(
But i really like the sounds of it...
Any (lighter) alternatives i should look out for?
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Ezionjd
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you a million times, what a great link!

Found 2 of those listed, at a bargain price. (Lower than 30$..)
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear interested

Good Enough For Christine

I recognize that there are literally thousands of keyboards and each have their plus and minuses... But the Yamaha CP-30 was the one that Christine McVie kept when she cleared out her mass of keyboards she used with Fleetwood Mac and absolutely loved it for recording and live play.
Making allowances of course for your musical preferences, does it get a whole lot better than that?
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

My college had a CP-30 for the jazz ensemble. They sound too electronic and do not have any variable timbre with touch control. No MIDI retrofit possible either. About the only thing good about it was the lovely feeling keybed.
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

I've got one, and it's a fun instrument - great feeling keys, as noted, and with the independent controls for tremolo, tuning, and envelope on each of the voices, you can blend together some neat sounds. That said: if you're looking for something that'll be an inexpensive Rhodes, it isn't it. If you want it to sound like a nice electric piano, you're going to be unhappy. I view it as more of a synth than a piano. $400 is way high IMO.
Ezionjd
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

It's bought gentlemen. And i loooove it. Independent pitch/tremolo/sound selection on both voices is simple yet all i needed. Playing at the moment through an old Fender Guitar amp and it sounds lovely.. Cheers!
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

Hell, yeah, that thing is splendid! Did you by chance once open the lid? Almost all discrete electronics madness in there
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Hell, yeah, that thing is splendid! Did you by chance once open the lid? Almost all discrete electronics madness in there
I've opened mine and it's quite interesting with all of those components. I will post up a video (with direct recorded sound) of a comparison between the Yamaha CP30 and a Hohner Pianet T, although I think everyone who references the "Hohner" sound means a Pianet N.

This is just the video camera picking up everything, you can see the Boss ME-50B bass effects pedal I used for a grit and minor compression. This is just a band jam we did and I decided to bring out the CP30.
Within the Soma Jamming with the Riff - YouTube

Here's the direct (and edited sound from that jam). You can hear the ME-50B adding a little grit to the top end, but really the keyboard has its own grind already.
https://soundcloud.com/travis-nielsen-1/jam-intro-song

EDIT: I bought mine for $100.
14th February 2014
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezionjd View Post
It's bought gentlemen. And i loooove it. Independent pitch/tremolo/sound selection on both voices is simple yet all i needed. Playing at the moment through an old Fender Guitar amp and it sounds lovely.. Cheers!
Resurecting ye olde thread, would it be better to buy a keyboard amp? I have a Fender HRD 3 id be willing to play it through but only if it didnt damage the amp. There is a sucker in my area selling a leslie for $100
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search