Running pre-recorded tracks in to BAE 1073 DMP
dublave
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

Running pre-recorded tracks in to BAE 1073 DMP

It took me quite awhile, but I finally bought a good pre, that being BAE's 1073DMP. I have a question though concerning running pre-recorded tracks out through it for a little flavor. Since it's lacking a dedicated Line In, should I run my signal through a reamp box first to attenuate the signal for the mic input? If not a reamp box, like my Redeye 3D, how should I do it?

While I'm asking, for clarification sake, what's the difference between a Line In and a DI? I'm basing this quandary on the fact that I've read one of the major differences between the 1073MP and 1073DMP is the Bootsy DI instead of a Line In. I'm stoked to use the DI for bass and synths and such, but it is important to me that I'm able run prerecorded tracks through it.

Also, just to double check, I won't damage it if I do hit the mic pre with the full line level from my computer for some more dramatic harmonic distortion, will I? Pretty sure this should be okay, but I am a little worried since this was a pretty big purchase for me. Don't want to damage my baby right away!
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

I run all my final mixes through the BAE 1073. I don't use the DI though. Regular sounds better to me.

You'll want to play with how much gain to use. Too much and you'll make it sound extra shitty. Just the right amount for me is with the big knobs all the way down, and the little guys at 9:00. Just a touch of magic grit.

Play with the software output fader on your DAW to make sure you aren't sending too hot of a signal. I've sent it super hot accidentally a few times, but never had a problem.

And make sure you don't clip the software input on the way back in!
dublave
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear addict

The actual 1073, or at least the 1073MPF, has a selectable DI or Line In, right? You're saying that you don't use either, but rather run the signal back through the Mic Input at lower levels? If so, that's exactly what I want to hear. Since the DMP has a DI but no Line In, I'm thinking the Mic Input at lower levels is my best bet, right? Thanks!
dublave
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear addict

Sometimes I'm afraid that I read so much on this board over such a long period of time that it starts to just come in one ear and out the other. This being a case in point. Years ago while researching pretty much this exact same question, I came across what I think is probably the perfect solution, the Avedis Line Pad-Z. 35 bucks and my problem is solved. Goes to show how long I've held out on getting a good pre, yikes.

Answering my own question
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search