Would a snare collection persuade you?
New Reply
Subscribe
Klauth
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear addict

Would a snare collection persuade you?

All other things equal to your desires of a recording studio, how much(if any)would a top shelf snare collection of, 40 drums have on you doing business @ said hypothetical studio ???

Am curious as to, how many(if any)would value actual instraments as part of the studio fee.
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear maniac

The gear matters. My band likes to cut basics at a studio around here that's owned by a major-label artist with a bunch of platinum records- and a good-sized gear collection. We're mostly there for the drum room (and mics, and outboard, and console for drum tracking) and capturing the rhythm section together; we rarely keep the guitar takes, and all our synth work is generally done well in advance. That being said, I love stepping into the place knowing if we don't have something, or if we want to change something out, or just have an idea, the equipment is there. We have classy gear, but we could roll in with nothing and still make a great sounding record.
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Sofa King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
All other things equal to your desires of a recording studio, how much(if any)would a top shelf snare collection of, 40 drums have on you doing business @ said hypothetical studio ???

Am curious as to, how many(if any)would value actual instraments as part of the studio fee.

I got a bunch of drums at my place, and I include them with my price.

Also, it helps me do my job, next to the player, I think the drum is THE most important piece in the chain.

Best,
Sean

http://www.seanmcdonald.com
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

All other things being equal, then sure, the more the merrier. But in the more likely case of finite resources, I'd say going that deep on snares would be overkill....the money devoted to building an arsenal like that could probably be put to use in better ways for the business.

A good collection of 10-15 well-maintained snares should be enough to please most prospective clients. Anyone who would consider that to be too meager a selection is probably something of a snare fetishist who has his/her own collection anyway.
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

It would figure into my decision, yes. I've got about 8 snares at my place.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:

someone is just looking for an excuse to buy 40 snares

Is this hypothetical studio going to be equally deep in cymbals, guitars, basses, amps, pedals, acoustic pianos and organs ? Will it have 40 mics to choose from? - or is it just Snare City?

FWIW, I am a drummer and the opportunity to have a selection of 40 snares would have little influence on my choice of a studio to record drums. I would be all about the room and the mics. I would probably use my own drums for nearly everything.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've had several drummers come in with great sounding snares that I'd love to have a copy of sitting on the shelf so I can understand wanting to expand the collection, but.... we have 7-8 snares at the studio, between that and what the drummer brings in I don't remember ever feeling lacking.

I'd use the budget for the other 30 snares and expand the outboard or the mic collection or use it to pay some bills.
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

I actually think you're asking the wrong group. We tend to be the ones who think the greatest pre/compressor/etc are the holy grails of a studio. And while most of us are musicians too, I think your average music-focused (as opposed to studio/production focused) musician would have a different perspective.

I would bet that for most potential clients a nice array of snares, amps, guitars and effects pedals would be a bigger selling point than a Pultec or a Fairchild or a Neve.
"If the band has decided to do something, it's their record. I think it's rude for an engineer or producer to say 'You guys are wrong about your own music.' I think that's almost unforgivable. It's like saying 'Here, let me show you how to f**k your wife. You're doing it all wrong.' It just seems crazy." -Steve Albini

Need to Know How to Register Your Copyrights for Your Band/Music Project?
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Of course, ultimately, 8 excellent, well-tuned snare drums that really do the job are far more valuable than 40 assorted, fancy snares that may actually not be that great.

I was at a studio once that had 15 or 20 "fancy" snare drums, all looked impressive, different, unique, shiny, etc, but none were really useful for top-end recording purposes. They all had quirks, issues, were hard to tune, couldn't get any to really sound or feel good etc... then I pulled out my inexpensive Pearl deep steel snare that I got for like $75 on eBay (i've tuned it up well though), and it blew them all away in all regards.

Of course many clients may never know the difference and are still impressed by the "dog and pony show" of having 40 snares laying around, but I'd still tend to think that the majority of clients would be more impressed by just several snares that SOUND great as opposed to 40 pretty snares that are just there mainly for show. Guess it really depends mainly on the TYPE of clients that frequent the studio most.

Though, I suppose another angle is that if you're doing an hourly rate thing, the more snares you have, the better, since the clients will "waste" more time jerking around with all the snares and that's money in your pocket. Though, for more serious projects and especially project rate deals, it would of course be better to have just a few snares handy that really sound and work great so that you can dial up a killer snare sound lickity-split.
Klauth
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
Gear addict

Appreciate the feed back

I am actually a drummer, and am putting together a drum tracking specific studio. I have all the API/Neve and mic gear so, I decided to go back to improving the sound source

37 pair of Hi Hats
42 Rides
30 assorted crash, china and FX cymbals
9 Piece maple Craviotto kit

I thought 6-10 snares would be enough but, after concidering the 10-13" and even 15" diameters, materials and depths... that number quickly became 40

I searched long and hard for the very different sounding drums and cymbals so as to have interesting options for discriminating drummers, at an all inclusive price.

Any additional feed back/perspectives are welcome
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am putting together a drum tracking specific studio.
Well that changes things a little.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

It's a tough one as inexperienced drummers (without great gear) might feel you are telling them what to do if you whipped the cover off the snare rack and said, "here, try one of these". On the flipside, other drummers will be like "no mate, I'm using my gear", no matter how good or great it is. Me, I'd probably ask if you had forty different snare stands so that I could try all the snares one after the other
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

If you want 40 snares for yourself, AWESOME!! Go for it. If you want me to pay a higher rate because you have 40 snares, that's not going to happen. I expect musicians to bring their own gear, and I brief them ahead of time so they can choose what's appropriate. But what do I know. I'm probably not your clientele.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The sounds are just going to be replaced so what does it matter ; )

I've never actually had a studio drummer bring additional snares to a session. Kenny Malone, for example, just tunes the kit for each song. He'll have the guitar or piano play the 1 chord and tune to that. Only takes him a few seconds and it will sound like a different kit. It's awesome.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

That said if you are going to have a studio just for tracking drums, like the guy from Collective Soul has, sure options are going to be important. But with 40 snares you should open a rental shop.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to slaves666
I have 4, and my pork pie bob, which is like a black beauty gets almost all the work.

I want a few more but 40 is nuts. I'd also like a few more kits.

**** samples!!!!!! :P
Klauth
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
If you want me to pay a higher rate because you have 40 snares, that's not going to happen.
Thank you for your input, I'm glad your brought this up, My rate is the same regardless if you use my gear or yours. I love fine instruments and posses a vast collection because of my love for drums and cymbals. I mean, why not try a $4,000 dollars snare for no additional charge, or a snare thats cut from a 200 year old tree in japan, or an 8" deep bell brass, or some hand hammered 15" hi hats from turkey?

I'm a life long drummer that's here to help, with insights and options, at a VERY fair rate. not a typical studio, am a drummers studio

API
Neve
Pultec
coles
Neumann

Am much more than fine drums and cymbals, I love the classic great gear and have spent a great deal of effort to assemble it, as well as a great room and ambiance.

I love helping drummers bring their sounds to life, in a creative non threatening environment... at a fair rate
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you for your input, I'm glad your brought this up, My rate is the same regardless if you use my gear or yours. I love fine instruments and posses a vast collection because of my love for drums and cymbals. I mean, why not try a $4,000 dollars snare for no additional charge, or a snare thats cut from a 200 year old tree in japan, or an 8" deep bell brass, or some hand hammered 15" hi hats from turkey?

I'm a life long drummer that's here to help, with insights and options, at a VERY fair rate. not a typical studio, am a drummers studio

API
Neve
Pultec
coles
Neumann

Am much more than fine drums and cymbals, I love the classic great gear and have spent a great deal of effort to assemble it, as well as a great room and ambiance.

I love helping drummers bring their sounds to life, in a creative non threatening environment... at a fair rate
Awesome! Sounds like you should be marketing more to DRUMMERS than engineers, producers or artists. They are the one's who will appreciate your ecclectic collection.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

I don't know about 40 snares, but in general I'm all for instruments in a studio.

My first concern are the rooms.
Assuming at least respectable microphones and preamps then instruments are next.
If a studio had 4 API 3124s it would certainly be great if there were a couple of Neve preamps, but I'd much rather there was a good Rhodes, some good cymbal and drum options, a few cool guitars (acoustic and electric) and amps, and a Hammond and Leslie.
Many people booking studios don't even know what a preamp is. A Les Paul and a Hammond may get their business.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear nut

I have about 20 snares in my room (also a drummer), 15 of them sit on the shelf and collect dust.....they don't suck but the other five are ridiculous (in a good way) and get used on everything I do and can do the sounds the other 15 do but better

I keep eyeing the ones that sit around......thinking I would probably do much better to sell them and buy a few compressors but it's hard to let go!

Personally, more than 5 great snares is unnecessary. My biggest concern is how the room sounds, then the quality of the mics, then the gear, etc.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to patheticus
I don't think there are 40 snares on earth I would even want to record. Maybe 10 or 15 tops.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

If you really want to improve the sound source, invest in something sensible, like back-line and good mics. Drummers ALWAYS bring their own snares, sticks and cymbals, just as guitarists always bring their own guitars and the horn section bring their own horns.

40 snares will be 40 snares that will never get used, no matter how good they might be!
7th May 2014
Old 7th May 2014
Gear addict

Latest addition to my collection:

5.5x14 Craviotto, Figured Black Cherry, with Wood Hoops. BB/45 Bearing edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Would a snare collection persuade you?-cravi-pic.jpg  
8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Gear addict

I'm probably different than a lot of drummers or drum enthusiasts.....but I never really understood the point of using so much different gear from my own in a studio setting. I mean, after I track my record I have to go play live.....and what am I going to do, use a different drum set on each song? I can't even stand playing someone else's kit when sharing a kit at a show. Throws me off too much in feel. I play better on my own.

I mean, if my kit was just sounding brutal in a certain room, I'd be open to trying diff options or a couple snares....but if I'm used to playing a set of '57 WFLs, I'm not going to track my record using a completely different style of kit.
8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

8-10 sounds magical to me, maybe 15 for a real drummy place. 40 sounds excessive, unless you're just into collecting, and don't need the money or space for other things.
8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Gear interested

I would think a focused alternative to the Craviotto kit would be a higher priority than pushing the snare count past the double digit mark, either something with a really outstanding vintage pedigree or a kit with some marketable distinguishing features that set it apart from the Craviotto.
8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

I don't think 40 would impress me more than a few. What would impress me most would be credits and/or example recordings where the drums sound great. Maybe alongside those, you could advertise the snares as the part of the ingredients to achieve that sound.

8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:

dont know..

im on both sides of the fence... it would be really cool
but also too many options at the same time...

but im sure it helps with the marketing though.
8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Gear interested

I also agree 40 is probably overkill. It may also be a maintenance chore, if a client wants to audition all of them, as all have to be in tune and in good condition. It is imo also quite difficult to select any one thing out of forty right then and there (be it a snare, a preamp, a mic, whatever). I don't know what your room is like, but for a drum studio it might be worth it to invest in a changeable acoustics installation, if you have the space for it.
Klauth
8th May 2014
Old 8th May 2014
Gear addict

Interesting replies, I appreciate the view points. I've made it a priority to have diversity in my collection, as to offer something extra to the performer for inspirational purposes, if he so desires it. It's all about the drummer at my place so, we go BIG on it. here are a few more.

Joyful noise TKO, 4x14(Brass)
Black Beauty,5x14(die cast brass hoops)
Gretsch Phosphor Bronze,6.5x14 (27 pounds)
Hammered Bronze supra, 6.5x14
Attached Thumbnails
Would a snare collection persuade you?-img_1669.jpg   Would a snare collection persuade you?-img_0609.jpg   Would a snare collection persuade you?-img_1091.jpg   Would a snare collection persuade you?-img_0911.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search