d.i.y. cooper time cube
sameal
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

d.i.y. cooper time cube

this was a topic on tape op that seemed to die, but still has me interested. d.i.y. the cooper time cube?

i got a capsule from a 58 copy, which apparently was at either end of the garden hose in the box. garden hose is simple to come by obviously, and the other elements of the box are simple to come by at hardware stores. that doesn't seem to be a problem.

i think what length the hose should be cut at and the preamp rack box are the obvious problems. from what i understood the rack box was just the pre's, so if you could build the box right, you could push it with other preamps i would think.....

anybody have one? or given this a shot?
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Why not use alkathene pipe - maybe 2" or choose a size you could jam the whole mic head into? I would be inclined to use a real speaker instead of the mic capsule, and a flange pipe fitting. I think this would sound better and be less prone to noise.

You can find out the delay that the Time Cube used ... from memory it was around 11 ms and 13 ms or something like that. I like to use non-prime numbers to reduce phase artifacts, similar to tuning the dimensions of a sound room to minimise room nodes.

If you are interfacing this with a DAW, you can use clean digital delays to tweak the actual delay times, so it doesn't really matter much. You'll be working around latency of your converters and stuff, so why not just pick any length that sounds good, and fiddle with the actual delay times in the box?

Not really a purist, am I ...

If you know the delay times you want, just find the calculation for speed of sound in air - there are several converters on the net that will calculate the distance for you.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

You've probably seen this, but this is what Fletcher wrote here back in 2009 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The electronics in the rack unit are UREI "1109" limited bandwidth amplifiers... if you can get schematics it shouldn't be too tough to build them... or if you can figure out the pin-out on the driver and pickup inside the 'gray box' I'm sure it won't be to difficult to rig up a couple of other line amps to use.

The key to the Cooper Time Cube is that it has a frequency response of about 400-500Hz to like 4-5kHz meaning that you get a delayed midrange that stays out of the way of most other signals that comprise a mix. One side of the unit has hose that is about 12 ft. long, the other about 14 ft. If sound travels approximately a ft. per millisecond then you'll see that the qualities of the Cooper Time Cube fall well within the parameters of the Haas effect... until you chain the two sides and you get a distinct delay [or actually multiple set of delay times as the sound has to bounce it's way through coiled garden hose].
sameal
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

thank you! very good info and ideas.

i gotta give this a shot. i was thinking pushing it with the 7510 preamps. hmmm speaker or mic capsules.....
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear maniac

I have an original Cooper, you really might want to consider using mic capsules as the driver instead of speakers. You do not need to create any appreciable volume, 1/10th to 1/4 watt will be quite enough in the hose. Use an inexpensive headphone amp and put Low and High Pass filters on it. As for the tubing you might want to try to put the capsules in 3/4" surgical tubing and attach them to a coil of copper tubing. Remember this is an acoustical delay with pickups. you will need to isolate it from vibrations.
Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Steve McDonald
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
thank you! very good info and ideas.

i gotta give this a shot. i was thinking pushing it with the 7510 preamps. hmmm speaker or mic capsules.....
sameal
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by extendedplay View Post
I have an original Cooper, you really might want to consider using mic capsules as the driver instead of speakers. You do not need to create any appreciable volume, 1/10th to 1/4 watt will be quite enough in the hose. Use an inexpensive headphone amp and put Low and High Pass filters on it. As for the tubing you might want to try to put the capsules in 3/4" surgical tubing and attach them to a coil of copper tubing. Remember this is an acoustical delay with pickups. you will need to isolate it from vibrations.
Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Steve McDonald
indeed! i'd like it to be as close to original spec as possible. I'm hunting parts still, got a show to play and working on a console and wiring so i got alot of time to collect parts. hunting down wood at the moment for the box.

i got a little paia headphone amp circuit hanging around. might be enough.

copper tubing sounds like a good idea. but would it change the sound?

packing peanuts are all over the place too!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search