Login / Register

Akai vs. M-Audio vs. Novation - What MIDI keyboard to get?
New Reply
Subscribe
boyankozhin
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Gear interested

Akai vs. M-Audio vs. Novation - What MIDI keyboard to get?

Hello fellas! I'm trying to figure out what will be good to buy, but it's a really hard choice for me. I wonder between - Akai MAX49, Akai MPK 49, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Novation Remote 49 Sl MKII of course. So I'm waiting for your advices. Thanx!
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Head

Quick fact sum up:

Max 49: Only useful if you need CV or like the fancy red touch faders. No rotary encoders.

MPK 49: Fantastic build quality, firm, springy keys, good controls, but no automatic mapping.

Axiom Pro: Good controls, good keys, apparently good automapping, but I've read the lcd display is very fiddly to navigate. This seems like a solid, safe, bang for buck option.

Novation: Poor build quality, has nothing over the axiom pro IMO. I'd prefer m-audio's auto mapping.

Was recently making this decision myself and went for a Studiologic VMK-161 Plus. Odd choice but the hammer action keys are great, and it has enough controls to keep me happy.

But I would recommend you buy the Axiom Pro out of those options.

Hope this helped a bit.

Joe
boyankozhin
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterjoey6 View Post
Quick fact sum up:

Max 49: Only useful if you need CV or like the fancy red touch faders. No rotary encoders.

MPK 49: Fantastic build quality, firm, springy keys, good controls, but no automatic mapping.

Axiom Pro: Good controls, good keys, apparently good automapping, but I've read the lcd display is very fiddly to navigate. This seems like a solid, safe, bang for buck option.

Novation: Poor build quality, has nothing over the axiom pro IMO. I'd prefer m-audio's auto mapping.

Was recently making this decision myself and went for a Studiologic VMK-161 Plus. Odd choice but the hammer action keys are great, and it has enough controls to keep me happy.

But I would recommend you buy the Axiom Pro out of those options.

Hope this helped a bit.

Joe
Hey Joe! Thanks for the fast answer! Yeah, and it's really helpful.

P.S. I'm still waiting for more opinions..
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Novation has shitty build quality? Havent heard that but have only been lookin at it for a lil while. Its mapping feature seema to be pretty popular and reliable from what ive read.

+1 on axiom pro though

And the akai mpk49 is HUGE!! If u have plenty of space, not a problem.

https://soundcloud.com/jasonlees/thinkn-about-u-25a-101413-l1-1?in=jasonlees/sets/demos-1
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear interested

Good thread here! I'm considering buying either an Akai mpk49 or a Novation Impulse49. I feel like moving on from just using the "piano roll" in Logic 9. Until now I didn't know the mpk lacks an automap feature.. the Akai Max does, fyi. That seems like a big deal. Here's a question. When using a mpk with different virtual instruments in Logic or Ableton, do all commands from my mpk need to be programmed? Once mpk is set up with one of the virtual instruments, will it remember the settings? Also, I'm assuming settings will be remembered after I save a project, correct? This question is complex to me, I don't even know how to word it right! lol Maybe someone understands what I'm trying to say. Thanks!
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

I own an Akai MPK 61, and will tell you that I find it to be well built. The only thing that I would say is lacking is the pads (if you need them). It's not an issue for me, but I can see it being an issue for others. There are upgrade kits available for the pads that give them the feel and response that they "should" have to begin with.

As to the mapping... The Vyzex app that comes with the MPK aids in the creation of custom templates that can be saved directly into the controller and Vyzex app. Most (if not all) software instrument have some sort of "learn" function in their GUI or settings menu. Once learned, that mapping should be saved by the user as a new preset/ instrument. Then it will be recalled with either the session that its in or any time that you select it in that instrument's preset menu.

With that said, although the Akai MPK line doesn't support auto mapping, one shouldn't discount a MPK based soley on that. They are very useable, playable, and user configurable boards. In my opinion, far better than the Axiom boards.
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyankozhin View Post
Hello fellas! I'm trying to figure out what will be good to buy, but it's a really hard choice for me. I wonder between - Akai MAX49, Akai MPK 49, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Novation Remote 49 Sl MKII of course. So I'm waiting for your advices. Thanx!

A good idea can be a simpler keyboard with no controllers and a Novation Nocturn all of whose knobs are endless so they update with the song's position.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear interested

@KMFG Thanks for what you said. I'm going to buy used, so if I do buy an mpk, now I know to ask for Vyzex.. I didn't know about Vyzex. I don't write off mpk, it does seem like an exceptional product Are it's mpk rotors endless? I'm thinking they're not. Is an advantage in having endless rotors in being that their values will pick up and adjust to where you saved them on a project last? Does mpk have endless, if not, how do you manage?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search