New Reply
Subscribe
kcoul058
7th October 2012
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Head

Gainstaging tips for Soundcraft Ghost

Hey all,

Looking for tips to keep noise levels down when tracking and mixing through this board. I'm finding it can get noisy rather quickly.

Thanks!
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Not really sure what you mean in terms of tracking and mixing tips, other than to use good routing practices such as proper gain staging.

I used a Ghost as a split console in a studio for some time, and it worked quite well. Although, it did have upgraded burr brown IC's.

www.naterecording.com
My Bandcamp Page
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear addict

Um, keep your peak channel levels around the 0dBu mark? What is the clip point rating of the desk?

Cheers
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

You really are going to have to keep your gain on a tight leash - you need to make sure your getting as much output as possible from the sources going into the desk as possible.

If you own the desk it's a good idea to check into having it modded; getting it rechipped and recapped reduces the operating noise radically. Creation Audio Labs does a fantastic job with the modification and it can be done incrementally - just one or two channels at a time (or as many as you want) making it very easy to afford.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

I own one and keep my input levels to the board hovering around 0 on the meter. I think it really does sound the best at 0, and the noise has never been an issue. Do you have the crappier power supply, maybe that's causing you issues?
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Head

I'm not sure what it is, because I will get noise with only a few faders up. I do have the better power supply.

And yes I will start to get some noise even with VUs at zero.
I'll try and report back with a more detailed description of the problem after the next time I go down to the studio.

Thanks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search