New Reply
Subscribe
liazord
4th July 2006
Old 4th July 2006
Gear nut

RME Multiface I or II ?

Hi,

I have done a search on this and want to confirm that the RME Multiface I and II hve the same AD DA conversion. Obviously i can get a Used Multiface I for less money but is there a good reason for me to spend up for the Multiace ll.

i will be using this with my laptop and PC. Using Sawstudio and some midi (NI B4, elektrik p and Akoustik)
in house and live.

Thanks and Happy 4rth... it be raining here again so i am down in the bunker where i love to be anyways!!!

Lia
4th July 2006
Old 4th July 2006
Church of UAD

5th July 2006
Old 5th July 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Multiface II does have slightly better converters.
Though they're both the same make, Asahi Kasei (AKM) , btw exactly the same ones are used in Apogee 800, which is much mo' expensive!

I got my Multiface II four months ago, already checked it thoroughly and compared it to Multiface I and Fireface 800. It's a bold winner. A bit better converters than Multiface I (slightly but audibly bigger lows), finally bigger gaps between jack inputs (now you can plug eight full sized Neutrik jacks) and much bigger bang for buck than Fireface 800, whose mike preamps just suck big time.

There's no reason to pay that much for those flat, tacky preamps. I assume when you buy such a great sunding card you'd be better off buying a decent channel strip like i.e. SPL Channel One to fit the class of your new soundcard.

BTW, RME's online customer service is really amazing. Guy named Dirk helped me so much when I wasn't sure about a few things, he's always online, even on holidays carries his laptop and answers all those stupid, constantly repeating
questions, wow, that's THE service!

Get it bro'. It's a wonderful box.

Bob.

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
Yogi Bear
liazord
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Gear nut

Thanks Glitch and Bob. I am heading this way for sure... Lia
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Gear Head

The same converters as the Rosetta? u sure? are they the same converters in the FF800 as well? i've never a/b'd them, but i've worked with a rosetta, and liked it better than my FF800. How are the analog electronics leading up to xverters in both units? do they match up? I find it hard to believe that the rosetta and the multiface/ff800 sound exactly the same, but i could be wrong. Anyone?

p.s. i definately agree with the preamp conclusion. flat and tacky, but not terrible. I actually find them quite similar to RNP's, with RNP's having the advantage with transients.

my .02
liazord
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Gear nut

Hey,

I don't know about the converters being the same as Apogee or not. I know the specs on the Fireface 800 DA are better than the Multiface.... Would i be better off with the Fireface? I don't need the preamps. I wouldn't say the RNP's are flat and tacky though I bought one twice (thought i must have missed something the first time) with high hopes and returned it both times and saved up for better pres.

Multiface seems like a solid unit to me and i want to go with RME because of their reputation for solid low latency drivers and good overall reliability.. Highly recomended for Sawstudio which is the platform i am using.

Lia
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Gear Head

the d/a on the fireface is simply amazing. If you don't need the preamps, i would check and see which connection would benefit you or suit you more: pci or Firewire. aside from the preamps, they are very similar units. Multiface does have some processing power (hammerfall dsp), so you will be able to achieve slightly lower latencies and more processing before your cpu starts choking.
liazord
7th July 2006
Old 7th July 2006
Gear nut

Thanks Swan,

You hit the nail on the head!!! PCI or Firewire.... I am going on vacation for a week so i am going to sit on this and suss it out when i get back.

Thanks you guys...
Lia
10th July 2006
Old 10th July 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan
the d/a on the fireface is simply amazing.
To be honest, AKM converters don't deserve the "amazing" tag. They're rather "very good"or , yeah, I'm gonna say the P-word, "professional"

Amazing could be rather Mytek, Digital Audio Denmark, Lavry...etc., but Asahi Kasei's AKM are at their best the-best-in-the-mid-budget-department and definitely the best bang for yer buck considering the quality and affordability.

I did A/B FF800 and Multiface II and there was NO audible difference. That little difference in numbers between the two REALLY doesn't matter at all, because you will NEVER hear the difference and that's what counts at the end of the day.

My suggestion - get Multiface II, a good channel strip and a good large diaphragm condenser mike. And write a great song or two, then we'll all be happy!

Bob
13th July 2006
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Head

hey all...so I am curious, what is the concesus here, that the FF units have better converters than the Multiface II? I am upgrading to RME and am currently choosing between the FF 400/ 800 and the Multiface II units. I am not worried about having pres on the interface since I intend on using separate tube pres and compressors anyway.

Many thanks on any help yáll can provide.
13th July 2006
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Amirian

My suggestion - get Multiface II, a good channel strip and a good large diaphragm condenser mike. And write a great song or two, then we'll all be happy!

Bob
What are some good channel strips?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search