HELP! Getting "that" Snare Sound
New Reply
Subscribe
jaysunice
1st July 2006
Old 1st July 2006
Gear maniac

HELP! Getting "that" Snare Sound

So, I have little to know knowledge about working/mixing real drum kits. I may just end up triggering samples, nevertheless, I'm trying to get the snare from Metallica's "Master of Puppets" CD.

Anyone familiar with the record; more importantly, ideas of what I should do compression/eq/plate/reverb wise to obtain this relatively "FAT" snare sound. FYI - snare has both top and bottom mics. Many thanks,

Jason
jaysunice
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear maniac

No Takers?
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysunice
So, I have little to know knowledge about working/mixing real drum kits. I may just end up triggering samples, nevertheless, I'm trying to get the snare from Metallica's "Master of Puppets" CD.

Anyone familiar with the record; more importantly, ideas of what I should do compression/eq/plate/reverb wise to obtain this relatively "FAT" snare sound. FYI - snare has both top and bottom mics. Many thanks,

Jason
Hello Jason,
Please view the links below; they give specific info as to the drum mics used in the studio for Metallica.

http://www.sweetsilence.com/Metallic...r%20Master.htm
http://www.sweetsilence.com/Metallic...ingJustice.jpg

As you can see, SM57's were used on the top and the bottom of the snare, as well as for the toms.
However, there are many additional overhead and room mics, a great studio, and MOST importantly, Ulrich is one of the best drummers in the world.

The best chance that you have to get close to the snare sound that you are after, is to pick a Saturday with your drummer, and start doing some A-B comparisons between your sound, and the sound you are trying to achieve.
Try to record and possibly loop a sample where the snare is being hit alone like in an into or something, and begin your process of trial and error.
Try different mics, different placement, eq, snare drum tuning, duct tape, plywood, foam, whatever it takes....

Good luck Brotha!
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
and MOST importantly, Ulrich is one of the best drummers in the world.
I love Metallica (before "Load", anyway), and Puppets is my favorite metal album of all time, but...that's a joke, right?
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jeffers
I love Metallica (before "Load", anyway), and Puppets is my favorite metal album of all time, but...that's a joke, right?
I am laughing as I am typing here, so I guess I would ask if you are joking?
Lars would have to be considered a world class drummer....wouldn't he?
I am sure that you know the point I was getting at;
The Metallica snare sound is not just about the type brand of mic, eq, reverb, blah, blah, blah, it cuts through the mix becuase of the way Lars cracks it.
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear interested

I guess that depends on how you define "world-class". If you mean someone that's sold a bunch of records, then sure. But if you're talking about actual drumming talent, I wouldn't even put Lars in the top 100. Have you seen how sloppy he is? Go check out the St. Anger DVD.
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

the sound of the snare is not merely determined by the snare and snare mics, this stuff bleeds into everything, its the overheads the room mics , who knows if the arent triggering samples. Don't think of the drums as individual instruments, think of it as 1 instrument
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
the sound of the snare is not merely determined by the snare and snare mics, this stuff bleeds into everything, its the overheads the room mics , who knows if the arent triggering samples. Don't think of the drums as individual instruments, think of it as 1 instrument
Good point.
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jeffers
I guess that depends on how you define "world-class". If you mean someone that's sold a bunch of records, then sure. But if you're talking about actual drumming talent, I wouldn't even put Lars in the top 100. Have you seen how sloppy he is? Go check out the St. Anger DVD.
Maybe he was drunk? lol
Ok, Lars blows.
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
MOST importantly, Ulrich is one of the best drummers in the world.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHa

2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor
HAHAHAHAHAHAHa

It was a typing error...
What I really meant to say is that Lars sucks!!!
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Do a search for Master of Puppets and find the thread with Flemming Rasmussen in it. He was Metallica's producer in the early years and has hand written settings for everything they did.
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Jason,
Please view the links below; they give specific info as to the drum mics used in the studio for Metallica.

http://www.sweetsilence.com/Metallic...r%20Master.htm
http://www.sweetsilence.com/Metallic...ingJustice.jpg

As you can see, SM57's were used on the top and the bottom of the snare, as well as for the toms.
However, there are many additional overhead and room mics, a great studio, and MOST importantly, Ulrich is one of the best drummers in the world.

The best chance that you have to get close to the snare sound that you are after, is to pick a Saturday with your drummer, and start doing some A-B comparisons between your sound, and the sound you are trying to achieve.
Try to record and possibly loop a sample where the snare is being hit alone like in an into or something, and begin your process of trial and error.
Try different mics, different placement, eq, snare drum tuning, duct tape, plywood, foam, whatever it takes....

Good luck Brotha!

aren't those re20's in the bass drums?

cheers
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

jaysunice
3rd July 2006
Old 3rd July 2006
Gear maniac

Wow - thanks for all the info...can't believe I missed that one post.
3rd July 2006
Old 3rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
aren't those re20's in the bass drums?

cheers
Yes...the picture was of the kit for the Justice album, but for both Master of Puppets and Justice the SM57's were used on the snare top and bottom.
I pulled the information from the awesome thread that maskedman72 just referenced.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ight=metallica

I will also attach a current equitment list of Lars Ulrich, maybe it will be helpful to Jason.
http://www.metallicaworld.co.uk/lars..._equipment.htm

Have a great 4th Brotha's!
3rd July 2006
Old 3rd July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Lars can be sloppy, but circa 1984-1985 playing on "Ride The Lightning" he delivered some sheer brutality that didn't have much competition at the time. The way he and Jaymz put together riffs was also very unique, the guy deserves props. Master of Puppets is a top 10 album of mine, excellent stuff.

Maybe not "world class" but the guy deserves respect. He was never snapped to a grid...

War

4th July 2006
Old 4th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Lars can be sloppy, but circa 1984-1985 playing on "Ride The Lightning" he delivered some sheer brutality that didn't have much competition at the time. The way he and Jaymz put together riffs was also very unique, the guy deserves props. Master of Puppets is a top 10 album of mine, excellent stuff.

Maybe not "world class" but the guy deserves respect. He was never snapped to a grid...

War
those were the days.

back in the day it was the big 3; metallica, slayer and mega, out of those 3 the only one that is still true to the roots is slayer. they have not slowed down or compromised/changed their style at all.
4th July 2006
Old 4th July 2006
Gear maniac

For "that" snare sound, use "that" snare.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search