Hum removal
New Reply
Subscribe
jaffa
30th June 2006
Old 30th June 2006
Gear addict

Hum removal

Anybody used an hum eliminator device like an Ebtech and does it have an effect on the sound at all?

Thanks,
Steve
30th June 2006
Old 30th June 2006
Gear maniac

on that note (sorry to hijack) i've just moved, and i have a very distinct buzz (more square wave shaped) commin' outta my monitors (no furman ) but i can accually hear it happening physically inside the amp somewhere, along with the same sound reproduced by the speakers....i'm runni'n through channelstrip surge protectors (which are not helping nor hurting)....there IS a floressent light in the closet, but it only pops all things speakers when switching on and off, the buzz is unaffected.....is it time for me to learn how to properly ground a house? or can i use spare speakerwire and chuck it out the window and make my own? (j/k)

thanks, and sorry jaffa, you just reminded me to ask these guys.

wyd

www.printertainment.com promotional print and duplication
1st July 2006
Old 1st July 2006
Gear Guru

Steve,

> Anybody used an hum eliminator device like an Ebtech and does it have an effect on the sound at all? <

Yes, the Ebtech unit does affect the sound a little, and it has poor headroom so it breaks up at higher levels. I have an eight channel model I'm not using anymore if you'd like to buy it.

All such devices are based on audio isolation transformers. Good audio transformers are expensive because it's tough to make transformers with a good frequency response and low distortion. I've used Jensen transformers and they're excellent, but they are not cheap. Much better is to track down the problem at the source. For example, if your gear offers balanced connections, use them instead of regular unbalanced cords. Or if you have noisy solid state light dimmers (which an audio isolation transformer won't help anyway), replace them with variable power transformers.

--Ethan
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
Yes, the Ebtech unit does affect the sound a little, and it has poor headroom so it breaks up at higher levels. I have an eight channel model I'm not using anymore if you'd like to buy it.

Ha, Ethan you're going to have to polish your sales technique!

Thanks for your help,
Steve
2nd July 2006
Old 2nd July 2006
Lives for gear

what about their hum-x product that actually plugs into the wall? i can't imagine that affecting sound quality since you wouldn't be running audio signals through it..
3rd July 2006
Old 3rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma
what about their hum-x product that actually plugs into the wall? i can't imagine that affecting sound quality since you wouldn't be running audio signals through it..
I bought one of these when they first came out to resolve a ground loop issue at my old location. Most of my gear had a common ground except a small cache of gear plugged into a remote outlet -- the Hum-X worked as promised for that issue. Since it doesn't sit in the audio path, I'm guessing there's a reduced risk of it affecting the audio quality. I didn't notice any change except the missing hum.

-Synth80s
3rd July 2006
Old 3rd July 2006
Lives for gear

For this sort of thing, I would think software is the best way to go, since you probably will be introducing some frequencies in your sound using anything that has a power supply. That said, I only use Waves' X-Hum for material that needs hum removal.
27th July 2006
Old 27th July 2006

hey ethan, pm me about your ebtech?

thanks
narco
27th July 2006
Old 27th July 2006
Gear Guru

Narco,

> hey ethan, pm me about your ebtech? <

Do me a favor and email me through my personal site:

www.ethanwiner.com

That's a lot easier for me than dealing with PMs. Also, I visit here only once or twice a day, but I check my email constantly.

Thanks.

--Ethan
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search