Has anybody recorded Ac. Guitars with a Soundelux E47 or ifet7?
Old 5th October 2003
Gear addict

Has anybody recorded Ac. Guitars with a Soundelux E47 or ifet7?

Has anybody recorded acoustic guitars with an Soundelux E47 or Ifet7?

Did you get good results?

I'm thinking of getting one (either the E47, or the ifet7 if I can't find the money) mainly for recording Male vocals and Acoustic guitars. Maybe Female vox once in a while. The preamp will be either the API 7600 or the A-Designs MP-2.

Do you think one of these mics would this be a good choice?

Thanks,
Magnus
Old 5th October 2003
member no 666

They're OK... probably wouldn't be something I'd reach for first... but if it were the only game in town I doubt I'd be disappointed.
Old 6th October 2003
Lives for gear

The ifet7 sounds good, better than an U87ai IMO. The E47 sounds great on acoustic. One mic in omni...huge. It's debateable about whether a small diaphram sounds "better", sometimes I like the LD best, but they need a little more room to "breath" compared to a small diaphram mic.
Old 6th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
They're OK... probably wouldn't be something I'd reach for first...
can you point us some alternatives? budget... 1500$, max 2000$...
Old 7th October 2003
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Josephson series 4. You could get two under a grand.
Old 8th October 2003
Gear addict

Thanks for your replies!

How would you say the ifet7 is on Male rock vocals?
Old 9th October 2003
Gear maniac

I had an ifet that I bought for vocals and didn't like it at all.I have kind of a nasal thing going on though and I believe the ifet accentuated this problem.I think it has a peak around 5k but don't quote me on that.It also has a high rolloff so forget about any "air".I sold it on ebay and ended up getting a u195 and I love it.It sounds nice on acoustic and bass drum also.It's also a lot cheaper.Also,the ifet is supposed to be so versatile but it just didn't make sense to me.For one thing,in v mode,the mic is extremely sensitive to rumble so if you're going into a compressor,make sure your mic pre or compressor has a rolloff available or your compressor will be reacting to all the rumble.Also,in I mode,it has a built in low frequency rolloff which you can't disable.I personally expected to use the i mode a few feet from the bass drum but the rolloff kind of defeats the purpose of using a 47fet-style mic to capture the "woof" of the drum.The u195 is way more versatile in my opinion.You can choose a rolloff or not depending on the placement you use.It also has a pad switch and a low end boost if you need some extra thump.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search