Uncolored DI Box/ reamping box?
Tonycamp
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
Banned

Uncolored DI Box/ reamping box?

Hi Slutz,

I have searched all over the site, and have found a lot of opinions on what DI is "best", but not a lot of description as to why its the "best". I have a 1972 jazz bass that sounds like god clearing his throat IMO, i also have some gibsons and fender 6 strings that I really like, all passive pups. I'm going to be doing some experimenting with re amping(totally new to me). So what I'm interested in, are opinions on a direct box that has very transparent qualities as to keep my axes sounding true to themselves. Also, I'm interested in opinions on re amp boxes possessing those same transparent qualities. Just the best line matching, with as little coloring as possible. Also, any techniques or tricks toward re amping are appreciated. Thank you guys for being such Slutz!!!!

Last edited by Tonycamp; 9th June 2012 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Tonycamp
9th June 2012
Old 9th June 2012
Banned

Bump...
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

Budget?

Can go from under $200 - Radial JDI (passive), J48 (Active)
Under $600 - A Designs REDDI, Demeter VTDB-2B Tube Direct Box (used)
I'm sure there are plenty of recommendations above those prices as well.

Reamp boxes - same idea - your budget will dictate. I've used the Radial Pro RMP and have been happy with it but on guitar.
Tonycamp
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Budget?

Can go from under $200 - Radial JDI (passive), J48 (Active)
Under $600 - A Designs REDDI, Demeter VTDB-2B Tube Direct Box (used)
I'm sure there are plenty of recommendations above those prices as well.

Reamp boxes - same idea - your budget will dictate. I've used the Radial Pro RMP and have been happy with it but on guitar.
Thanx nedorama, appreciate the response. I don't really have a budget, i will spend what is necessary to get the uncolored capture. thanks, i will check out those particular radials a little closer.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

DI's are definitely a personal preference; one person's uncolored may seem way too much for another. Best is to try before you buy.

I'm happy with the JDI's for the limited DI bass we do (mostly live), but if I did more bass recording, I'd certainly look for more options. As a guitarist, i'm fine with the JDI.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

The ART DUAL-RDB reamp direct box just came out this year and is a very good buy compare to other offerings. I have one and sense no evidence of coloring whatsoever.

I have a couple of the Demeter tube DI boxes on the other hand which do add very nice artifacts to the signal. That is DI on the way in though.
10th June 2012
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

I could advice you the Little Labs Multi-Z PIP, very opened and clean, also on the reamp side.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search