Old 1st June 2012
Gear Head

Help picking an MRL Tape

machine: Otari MX-70 1 inch 8track
Tape of choice: ATR Master Tape, +9
Curve of choice: CCIR
Speed: 15ips

Thinking I'll align to +6

I'm pretty new to tape, thanks for the help!
Facepalm
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Facepalm

Why have you chosen CCIR?
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I'd recommend the multi frequency tape. Costs a bit more but useful. For IEC1/CCIR eq at 15 ips, the +6/355 nWb/m version is 41J426. The +3/250 nWb/m version is 41J226.

I assume you know the 15 ips IEC1 tape is wavelength compatible with 30 ips AES eq, so the same tape can be used at 30 ips with no level adjustment table, just a doubling of frequency? Same for 7.5 ips IEC1, but with a halving of frequency.

Cheers,

Otto
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

My 24trk 2" is aligned +6/355 neb ccir 15ips using atr and im in live with it
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Glad you're getting in on tape!

I have the same machine. Excellent place to start your analog journey!
I use the same calibration as you are wanting to use.
CCIR is much much better than NAB when using 15 ips.
I would recommend getting a 250nWm reference tape. This is what I have.
Align your VU meters to -6 during repro alignment.

+6 over 250 nWm is the same thing as +9 over 185 nWm.

This is a great starting place. If you want the tape to sound a little softer, try aligning to +3 over 250 nWm. I use both depending on the project.

As far as tones go:
1K 10K 16K(for azimuth) 100hz 50hz
You can skip the 100hz if its cheaper. This machine likes 50hz to align the bottom end. Just thought it might be good just in case, as some machines prefer to use 100hz for bass alignment.
However, you rarely use the bass tones off of the alignment tape since you align the repro bottom end while in record mode. But I like to have those tones "just in case."

Do you have the manual?
Hit me up with any questions about the machine. I use it on a weekly basis. I have the 16 track version, and really want to find an 8 track headstack for it.

Best,
-Neil
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBrain View Post
Glad you're getting in on tape!

I have the same machine. Excellent place to start your analog journey!
I use the same calibration as you are wanting to use.
CCIR is much much better than NAB when using 15 ips.
I would recommend getting a 250nWm reference tape. This is what I have.
Align your VU meters to -6 during repro alignment.

+6 over 250 nWm is the same thing as +9 over 185 nWm.

This is a great starting place. If you want the tape to sound a little softer, try aligning to +3 over 250 nWm. I use both depending on the project.

As far as tones go:
1K 10K 16K(for azimuth) 100hz 50hz
You can skip the 100hz if its cheaper. This machine likes 50hz to align the bottom end. Just thought it might be good just in case, as some machines prefer to use 100hz for bass alignment.
However, you rarely use the bass tones off of the alignment tape since you align the repro bottom end while in record mode. But I like to have those tones "just in case."

Do you have the manual?
Hit me up with any questions about the machine. I use it on a weekly basis. I have the 16 track version, and really want to find an 8 track headstack for it.

Best,
-Neil
Hey, do you have similar expertise with Otari 1/2" 2-track machines? I don't have the model number of mine, but was hoping you may have some options for this as well as you seem to have the 1" 8-track memorized...
https://www.facebook.com/hightolerance

It's the indian, not the arrow...
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Hey, do you have similar expertise with Otari 1/2" 2-track machines? I don't have the model number of mine, but was hoping you may have some options for this as well as you seem to have the 1" 8-track memorized...
what is your question, Julian? The tech specs listed are true for any machine. When I had tape, everyone around (US) was using NAB.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
what is your question, Julian? The tech specs listed are true for any machine. When I had tape, everyone around (US) was using NAB.
well it seems Analogbrain offered a preference for how to allign, stating things like 'the machine likes this' or that 'he prefers using this setting' while aligning. Was just hoping for his opinions should he have any for my machine which may be similar.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
Yes, NAB was and is more common in US for 1/4" and wide track 15 ips formats in general. However, a considerable majority of 1/2" 8-tracks running 15 ips are IEC1, not NAB. Not 100% though, despite MRL's assertion in the "Choosing and Using document, as JRF told me one of his techs was having trouble with one of those Otari machines until he realized it had NAB audio cards. Only one he's seen, though.

IEC1 has the advantages of lower tendency to bass distortion (no record boost below 50 Hz) and better allocation of HF dynamic range: higher record eq roll off means less (wasted) HF headroom and less HF gain on playback. NAB allocates more HF dynamic range to headroom, more than you generally need, reducing the S/N ratio.

All that said, both my 3M and Otari 1/4" machines are running NAB and they sound just great, so it's easy to make too big of a deal about this.

Cheers,

Otto
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
The characteristic response at 15 ips for those machines with original Otari heads is to have a dip at around 120 Hz, then a peak at about 60-70 Hz. Pretty fast roll off below 40 Hz. You would generally want to balance those those dips and peaks below and above 0 dB, respectively, finding an acceptable level of boost at the 60-70 Hz peak while keeping 40 Hz overall response close to flat, if possible. Of course, as noted above, that's done in the record alignment, where you are sweeping the oscillator input, not in the repro alignment, but I still like to have the range of tones (by octave) on the calibration tape to know what the repro performance is as well as overall system performance.

BTW, a 250 nWb/m tape makes sense if you will not calibrate above 355 nWb/m. If I were going to calibrate to 500 nWb/m at times, I might prefer to have the 355 nWb/m tape, so I don't have to set levels at -6 VU. Those meters are easier to read accurately from -3 VU to 0 VU.

Cheers,

Otto
telecasterrok
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Head

Hey everybody, thanks for the replies! I didn't realize that I had gotten any on this thread

ofajen and AnalogBrain, what will be the practical difference between a "+6 over 250 nWm" and "+6/355 nWb/m" alignment tape. I don't yet understand how those number relate to each other and the machine alignment.

Right now I have the atr master tape, but I'd like to experiment with other formulations too. AnalogBrain, any particular formulations that you like with this machine?

Thanks, all.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear addict

The numbers 185, 250 and 355 all describe the tapes reference fluxivity.

The original AMPEX standard was 185/nWm.
Over the years, because of the availability of higher output tape, people started wanting to use a different reference fluxivity (250, 355, 500 etc.).
Most people just spout out a number "I like +6."

But they don't realize that this number is useless. They need to include what reference flux they are using as well. EX: "+3 over ___nWm."

Here is a GREAT paper on the subject. page 8 has a very handy conversion chart for you!

http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/choo&u.pdf

Hope this helps a bit!
-Neil
telecasterrok
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Gear Head

ah, that helps. Thanks Neil!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search