Pensado's Place pay to view? (No, actually, its not!)
noiseflaw
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Pensado's Place pay to view? (No, actually, its not!)

EDIT:

www.pensadosplace.tv

All eps FREE at above address.

More info (minus the wonderfully eloquent rebukes from the poster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJames View Post

From the Pensado's Students Facebook Page:
"Hey fellow Pensadians!

Wanted to give a quick update to you guys so that if you hear people asking, you can help me spread the word on this.

Please DO NOT pay $10 to rent our old episodes on YouTube. We are not the ones doing that, it is the old network we used to be on which is trying to make a buck. They are still up on iTunes at our OLD itunes feed if you want to watch them free of charge:

iTunes - Podcasts - Pensado's Place - Video by ThisWeekIn

Download them all and share them with everyone you know. There is a reason we have teamed with absolutely awesome partners, and that is to be able to give this show to you, without barriers, to be consumed, discussed, and shared freely.

Again, we do not see any of that money, so please, if you can, DO NOT pay to download them while they are still free on iTunes. Hopefully, this will all be resolved down the road and this won't be an issue, but for now, if you guys could help give answers to viewers if I miss them, and pass around the understanding like in true Pensadian fashion, I would be very grateful.

Just wanted to give you guys to low down first. BIG THANKS! Hope everyone's happy and healthy. Now off to edit this Steven Slate episode.

Cheers,

-Will"

here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/1965...3864893986216/
SRS
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

I don't see the videos they are charging for. Where are they? If this is true, I am a bit disappointed, as they had a great thing going and were just building steam by getting a real audience developed. A real fresh perspective and method in the sea of "rip the customer for every penny in their pocket" time.

I hope this is not so, cause they will only hurt themselves by doing what so many other business models have done, which is become greedy and lose customers in the process.

Say it ain't so...
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Yeah, I can't see this either. I watch every week, almost without fail, so this would be a huge bummer.

Is this on their website, or from a third party? Could well be that you're following a link that isn't quite on the level.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear addict

What is this? April Fool's Day? Pensado is sponsored and riddled with ads. There's no way they'd charge for vids. I just loaded up the Brauer episode and that would be one of the first they'd charge for. I think OP is sadly mistaken.
noiseflaw
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osumosan View Post
I think OP is sadly mistaken.
Not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyandother View Post
Is this on their website, or from a third party? Could well be that you're following a link that isn't quite on the level.
Yes you could be correct.

Over here in the UK there is an £6.50 charge to view the whole video on certain shows - I am away from the computer at the mo - but will upload a screenshot jpeg when I get home.

Weird goings on...
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

The lack of announcement would be uncharacteristic, I agree.

But even were it true, I'd be kind of happy for them, and would even pony up every now and then.

Pensado and Herb (sounds like a cruise ship act ) have been a rare bit of good news in an industry otherwise devastated by that merciless and implacable foe, changing times. With the chances for people to gain knowledge of the actual problems and situations of a working studio through internship diminishing exponentially, Pensado has offered, free of charge, just an enormous amount of real-world knowledge on a regular basis for, what, more than a year now?

And he's done it week in and week out with tremendous generosity, both of knowledge and of spirit, a sense of humor, and genuine humility, which, in this industry, is really something. And really something valuable, I should say.

Do you remember when the paradigm for mixers was, with rare exceptions, cryptic, off-putting answers to questioning newbies, and unrelenting machismo? People like Charles Dye and others helped lead the way to changing that, and Pensado is the latest and greatest generation of these, and has, imho and in point of fact, consistently provided a tremendous resource to those who love our craft.

Yes, VK is a sponsor, and they prolly get a few bucks via other means, but are they withholding? Do they tell you that you'll get the real secrets about the occult art of mixing if you order a special DVD? Or download a special video for only $19.99? Nope. They could have done that so easily, but no.

Hell no, I don't mind them making a bit of money on the gig. I'll contribute! Some cats think of money as condensed energy. Well then this is a clear case of energy for energy, because both him and Herb have put a gigantic amount into making that show happen — all for a ridiculously niche (and complainy!) crowd — and more, into keeping it happening.

Hats off, I say.

And now I'll climb off this ridiculous soapbox and go do something productive.

SRS
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
Some cats think of money as condensed energy.
Around my house my wife and kids think money grows on trees...
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

It's a great show and enjoyable and interesting to watch; I'm sure a lot of music/mixing has improved as a result...my own has.
I don't disagree with the decision to charge a fee, they've put a lot of work into this project, but I'm not in a position to pay for media at the moment. The recession has hit and all my subscriptions will be instead used to pay for equipment maintenance.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear maniac

I just checked out Pensados Place on Youtube. Episodes now say Buy for $9.99. Maybe I'm missing something here because I just began checking these out a couple weeks back for no charge and was finding them helpful. Everyone deserves remuneration, but 10 bucks? That's too steep for me unless its a guest or topic I just have to hear. Here's the youtube link....
#2 - Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Whiz Kalifa and guest Jean-Marie Horvat - YouTube
SRS
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpedrum View Post
I just checked out Pensados Place on Youtube. Episodes now say Buy for $9.99. Maybe I'm missing something here because I just began checking these out a couple weeks back for no charge and was finding them helpful. Everyone deserves remuneration, but 10 bucks? That's too steep for me unless its a guest or topic I just have to hear. Here's the youtube link....
#2 - Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Whiz Kalifa and guest Jean-Marie Horvat - YouTube
Yeah... Somethings going on here... Looks like "This Week In" people, whoever they may be, are cashing in on Pensado. I'm not quite sure what is going on, but looks like they are trying to snake money from unsuspecting people on YouTube.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear
Personally I think the show is amusing and the way Mr Pensado rambles on sometimes can be extremely charming The interviews are also (sometimes) enlightening and interesting, but ten bucks... Mmm!
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear nut

SRS
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Looks like a hack to me. They took an episode of Pensado's Place and shortened it to around 2 minutes then put a link on the screen for you to click to pay $10 to view the entire full-length episode. Something is fishy.

Well, it appears to be a "This Week In" thing, where they are taking the newest 5 episodes of PP and charging $10 for the full versions. On the This Week In site, episodes number 60-64 of PP are condensed to 2 minutes and have a pay link on screen. Odd.
SRS
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mite View Post
I guess that's why they moved out of ThisWeekIn. Pensado's Place
Did they move out of there? Cause they still have all the episodes on their site.
PDC
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

The rambling, the..the...the...the.....the...the...stuttering, and the poor audio makes it hard to watch, but I have enjoyed some of them. Since works of art are sold for .99 on iTunes, I think .99 would be a better price. :p
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
All the past videos except the last few are taken down off of their YouTube page. It looks like you'll be able to watch them for free as they come out, but not very long after.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted :(
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Dave posted about this on the PensadosPlace twitter feed...

"For those asking about our older eps on YouTube being rent only, you can get them on iTunes for free still!"
SRS
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

I think there is a YouTube hack from the This Week In folks (or someone) for the PP vids. Cause on Pensado's own website you can watch the newest episodes from 65-69 for free, but 64, 63, 62, 61 and 60 cost $10. Now what sense does that make?
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
The rambling, the..the...the...the.....the...the...stuttering, and the poor audio makes it hard to watch, but I have enjoyed some of them. Since works of art are sold for .99 on iTunes, I think .99 would be a better price. :p
Amen to that. I always take away a few really helpful hints or insights, but there's a lot of chit chat and throwaway moments too. Something like .99 cents makes more sense to me.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012

Ive learned things that I would pay $10 for off of Pensado's place. People just keep getting cheaper an cheaper...you are in the ****ing music business. $10 is nothing.

Don't buy that Starbucks latte or that extra beer when you go out and buy an episode so we can keep the people who actually know what really audio engineering is around.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
Dave posted about this on the PensadosPlace twitter feed...

"For those asking about our older eps on YouTube being rent only, you can get them on iTunes for free still!"
Implying that they will now charge for new episodes? Seems to me that a simple paragraph outlining their new business model is in order.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARStudios View Post
Ive learned things that I would pay $10 for off of Pensado's place. People just keep getting cheaper an cheaper...you are in the ****ing music business. $10 is nothing.

Don't buy that Starbucks latte or that extra beer when you go out and buy an episode so we can keep the people who actually know what really audio engineering is around.
I agree up to a point. But my practice of watching PP would be to take a break from work every day or two and check out some episodes. That would add up to $50 to $100 a week. That's not "nothing." So if they are changing their business model, I (and most others I suspect) will have to change my viewing habits. I'm totally for anyone figuring out how to monetize their talents. But I do wonder if they've overshot their market here.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear addict

I just watched the whole Michael Brauer episode from the Pensado's Place website for free. On the youtube channel they are charging.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

I watch(-ed) it every now and then.
If I need to pay for it, I will absolutely not watch it.
I would MUCH rather spend this money on some new music.
p.
noiseflaw
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

What is irritating and annoying about this is the PR. If they want to monetise their product, fine - but jeez, why so sneaky?! Just Man-Up boys and be clear and transparent about it - not snide and after the fact...
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
What is irritating and annoying about this is the PR. If they want to monetise their product, fine - but jeez, why so sneaky?!. Just Man-Up boys and be clear and transparent about it - not snide...
It's like employers not wanting to announce that they just fired a bunch of people. Or coming up with euphemisms for what is happening. As in: people were not fired, instead we had to undergo some "staffing reductions"...
Eeeek!

p.
PDC
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARStudios View Post
Iyou are in the ****ing music business. $10 is nothing.
Really? Ten is too much for people to pay for a physical CD that lasts forever. Ten is too much for terrestrial and internet radio stations to pay for plays. Ten is too much for some to pay for a Rapco guitar cable with a lifetime warranty. Ten is too much for people to pay for a movie ticket in a great theater. Ten is too much for weed.

I would say that the vast majority of people that really need an education are living tight fisted and $10 would be too much.
noiseflaw
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Don't get me wrong, PP has been a fantastic resource for FREE! - I guess they were a little embarrassed about it and kept shtum.

Hey ho.
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Every episode on iTunes is free...
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Gear nut

OP must be watching on the old ThisWeekIn YouTube channel, where TWI are trying to cash in.

A few episodes back Dave & Herb started telling everyone to switch to their new personally controlled YouTube channel, which is still completely free - PensadosPlace - YouTube

I absolutely love the show and watch it every week, and would be happy to pay to do so - is an amazing resource.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search