ADAM A7X Input Sensitivity question
New Reply
Subscribe
anabolique
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Gear maniac

ADAM A7X Input Sensitivity question

I ignored my ignorance but its time to make things clear...

I have ADAM A7X monitors and I dont get their volume control... it goes to +14dB (mid position is 0dB)... so, what is this "extra 14 dB" used for? At first, I set them at OdB... A guy from a local store said that he likes to set them to max value , thats +14dB to "hear THEIR sound"... Does this make any sense? Is there really a use of that extra amplificiation soundwise or its just there to help really low input signals? I seldom even want to listen/mix at really high levels. Is it just riskier to have them at their max setting? Risk of damage?
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

Be very careful putting the output volume to 14dB!

It really depends what kind of monitor controller your using but really you should not need to go past 0dB, infact the output is so good you often don't need to go near 0dB if your using an external monitor controller (Software or Hardware)

So I guess it depends if your contrelling the output of the monitors externeally (software or hardware) but I'd strongly advise putting them past them to 14dB, this is dangerous as they don't have a limiter. I'm sure you noticed how loud they are anyway and that you don't need to push their volume much at all (They go as loud and louder then some mid fields)
anabolique
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Be very careful putting the output volume to 14dB!
I'd strongly advise putting them past them to 14dB, this is dangerous as they don't have a limiter. I'm sure you noticed how loud they are anyway and that you don't need to push their volume much at all (They go as loud and louder then some mid fields)
Yeah, I noticed their strength... Actually I usually end up lowering the volume control of the audio interface when they are at +14. I was stupid enough to try if driving them to 14dB actually make some difference.
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

You have a volume controller on the audio controller? If so I'd just use that really. I have mine set half way towards 0dB, usually plenty loud enough not to even go near max on the volume controller.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search