Studios 75 years from now
New Reply
Subscribe
Rob Coates
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Studios 75 years from now

Anyone care to speculate on what studios will be like in 75 years or so? Probably voice or thought activated. I could see someone sitting in front of whatever gear and hardware they will have simply telling the gear what they want it to sound like (or just thinking it) and what they want to record. Tubes and transformers and other components will be viewed the same way as we do the Victrola now, a curious oddity of the past. Someone will invent a completely new technology for capturing sound, making mics on stands obsolete. I don't even want to contemplate the unthinkable but it's possible humans won't be involved at all. Autotune should be a warning sign to us now that eventually someone will figure out a way to get the entire vocal from the machine, no singer needed. Will all songwriting, recording, production, releases etc. be done with no human involvement at all? Sadly, it's very possible. What about this scenerio of the future: someone is sitting in a room and says to some device: "I'm feeling low today, give me a song to cheer me up." The device takes a couple seconds and then writes, produces and plays in beautiful surround sound the perfect song individually tailored to you based on it's knowledge of your life and circumstances and you are instantly happy.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

CDs will have the same status as vinyl does these days and when people say, "I just love the sound of tape and it's worth the upkeep for me" they'll be talking about DATs!

Auto tune will be obsolete because it will have infiltrated society enough in the 2020's that everyones speaking voice will already sound autotuned.

A yahama 01v will be worth 75k.

Pro tools will have added 4 more features that other daws have today and will want 25k for the upgrade. People will still pay it but boy will they bitch (and don't get your hopes up, it will still be 32 bit)!
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
studios will be obsolete by then as all sound will be provided in real time (composing on the go by a clever algorithm). you don't listen to songs, you listen to streams of music.

recording of music will not be necessary by then, as reproduction is obsolete, as you have these new streams.
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
Right. All these efforts we put in now will be a blur on a sheet of glass wich will be wiped off eventually... As cd's and records have rotten away...

http://www.myspace.com/a-muze#!/556701704
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

The world won't exist...

War will have broken out over ITB v OTB summing with each country choosing a side.

The ITB crowd will attempt to create the warmest console emulation ever... this will prove to be one saturation plug too many, igniting the Earth's atmosphere and ending all life as we know it.
"You only have a certain amount of headroom with Pro Tools... if you start pushing it a little bit too hard it's starts squawking like a chicken, if you go too low, it starts squawkin', you have to work within a certain realm otherwise you get zapped either way!" - Tad Donley (2006)
-
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Anyone care to speculate on what studios will be like in 75 years or so?
What do you care... you'll be dead in 75 years [and if medical science figures out a way to keep you from being dead, you'll wish they hadn't].

Peace
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
What do you care... you'll be dead in 75 years [and if medical science figures out a way to keep you from being dead, you'll wish they hadn't].

Peace
He just wants to make sure that his current sessions are compatible for posthumous release, is that so wrong?
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
member no 666

Not his problem... much like Francisco Franco, Bela Lugosi, and Fidel Castro -- he'll be dead.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac

There will be less than 0.001db of dynamic range in the average song and people will no longer remember what an instrument looks like because they will use Komplete 83 for everything. We will not be fighting A v D, we will be fighting about digital v Uber digital. The business world will see little point in wasting money on getting new songs written so they will just go through their catalogues recycling 1year old+ songs.

Or the inevitable WWIII will have broken out and we will be too busy trying to hang on to our existence, in which case Blues would be king.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think the OP is based on a flawed premise.

By then, The Machines will be using US to make music, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Actually it's considerably less expensive to hire the best musicians and record live in a first class studio than spending months making records Sgt. Pepper style in a cheap studio.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

inre: "War will have broken out over ITB v OTB summing..." that made me LOL.

anyway, i have noticed in my monthly perusal of "electronic musician" magazine that, to a large extent, most of the artists featured in the articles are doing their own recording and producing on laptops or ipads with loops, softsynths, etc, with other parts recorded almost anywhere. very few seem to actually spend time working in pro studios.

i expect that attitude and workflow to continue gaining ground, and that many excellent studios will go out of business, or change their business plan somehow to accommodate a new paradigm based on technologies which allow so much individual production ITB these days.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
There will be less than 0.001db of dynamic range in the average song .
Or perhaps we'll be able to disprove the so-called laws of physics and create music with NEGATIVE dynamic range where everything is louder than everything else in the mix.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
The world won't exist...

War will have broken out over ITB v OTB summing with each country choosing a side.

The ITB crowd will attempt to create the warmest console emulation ever... this will prove to be one saturation plug too many, igniting the Earth's atmosphere and ending all life as we know it.
brilliant
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peace

cool....
Fletschers answers are always great !!
Peace

R.
Rob Coates
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peace
How do you know? Maybe I'm only 5 years old. I started posting on Gearslutz right after I was born. My Ma said that kid will never amount to anything cause studios won't exist when he grows up.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac

Musicians playing music will be captured and mapped in 3D for aural and visual reproduction delivered as an immersive holographic experience projected from chips embedded in your eyeballs to simulate with frightening accuracy the experience of being in a chosen setting with the musicians as they play the music for you.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
There will be less than 0.001db of dynamic range in the average song and people will no longer remember what an instrument looks like because they will use Komplete 83 for everything. We will not be fighting A v D, we will be fighting about digital v Uber digital. The business world will see little point in wasting money on getting new songs written so they will just go through their catalogues recycling 1year old+ songs.

Or the inevitable WWIII will have broken out and we will be too busy trying to hang on to our existence, in which case Blues would be king.
I think you are referencing now, not 75 years from now.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Maybe I'm only 5 years old. I started posting on Gearslutz right after I was born.
You wouldn't be the first...
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

What makes you think the robots running the world will even like music? Seriously, these Futurists and their predictions can't even get a 10 years ahead prediction right unless they use the shotgun aproach and predict many many things hoping one will come true. The whole history of recorded sound is less than 100 years old (just double it to see what will be around in another 75 years LOL).
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Motown legend

People need to stop drinking the kool-aide the gear pimps are serving up! A studio is a performance space.
Great music has always been a collaborative effort. Gear may change but studios aren't going anywhere because the cheapest way to make a truly compelling music recording has always been recording an ensemble. Ensembles require a very different performance space than endless overdubbing.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for food

No gear. sorry. Everything is holographic ..which will be here in about 21 years, not 75. Unless you want to classify the usb implant on your neck as "gear". Or your 3d electified contact lenses with Google maps built in.

I guess those two things sort of make "you" the new gear.

No movie studios in 75 years either. Or actors. It's all done in your mind with the cloud (along with the usb connector implant on your neck... which you can also get a wi fi adaptor for.

The concept of ancient music or movie studios will bring up images of guys shoveling coal into the burners on the Titanic.

An interesting fact I brought back from my trip to 2087. A Teac 3340 is worth $5,300,000 as a collector item.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear nut

everyone has unrealistic expectations.

we haven't got the hoverboards we were promised... I'm sure audio will stay like this for a while with it getting more and more portable, but with people still 'needing' the space to be creative.

I don't think the recording studio will every become obsolete, and expect that in 75 years, there'll still be studios with SSL's, Neve's, API's etc... and racks of gear.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
People need to stop drinking the kool-aide the gear pimps are serving up! A studio is a performance space.
Great music has always been a collaborative effort. Gear may change but studios aren't going anywhere because the cheapest way to make a truly compelling music recording has always been recording an ensemble. Ensembles require a very different performance space than endless overdubbing.
Thank you Bob. Now we all must write this 100 times on our chalk boards...lest we forget...
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think too many of you are dreaming and not thinking. I am not sure how holograms turn sound waves into electrons. Maybe..... maybe they will be able to get rid of the speaker end of the transducer (music beamed strait into your head)... but you will still need something to capture the sound (some kind of transducer/microphone) and something to store it on. And a good room/space to record it is.

My guess is the near future is about packaging what we have now smaller and smaller. After that IDGAF
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

as long as there are people, they will be getting together and playing music. and there will be something to record it with. and the important recordings of the past will be preserved along the way and there will be something to listen to them on.

all the shit about 3D holograms and injecting music into your brain, etc. is just silly. the basics always stay the same. people will eat, drink, have sex, and sing & dance.

http://www.trounrecords.com
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Studios will be pretty similar, except all the walls will be white, we will be wearing silver with shoulder pads, there will be no wires, and everything will be hovering just a little bit off the ground.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Will record to.the new analog standard... water.. pure h2o

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App

https://soundcloud.com/rust-creep/grundle
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear addict

75 years is a looooong time. From 91-92 when I began recording, studios have changed from being basically the same setup as in 1952 (tape machine, mixing console) that only the elite could afford them, to being affordable to pretty much anyone who wanted to record with pro quality.

My guess is fairchild, LA2A compressors, neve consoles and pres, and the same Neumann, AKG mics will be used, but they will be recorded directly to cloud or the like, an infinite medium with endless space, able to record/reproduce verbatim what you play. The console could be ITB, but the display will be an hologram, were you can take the sound with your hands and do everything you do today with a mouse. Or maybe we have to record to wax because there is no electricity anymore.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Motown legend

I think most live performances will be recorded and many will be broadcast.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search