Setting time limits when completing a track
New Reply
Subscribe
jtaylor27
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear addict

Setting time limits when completing a track

When creating, tracking and mixing a song do you set time limits on the frame of time used?

I usually give myself 2 days to complete a track, and if it sucks after these 2 days, I just chuck it out and start over again. I find this helps me because I get bored quickly and I hate listening to the same thing over and over again. I also find it gives me focus and allows me to really serve the song musically and concentrate on it rather than go crazy putting a ton of stuff on it.

What's your take on it?
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

It depends. If a song's easy, I can rehearse a song and then record it straight away afterwards. Other times I set aside a few hours to rehearse, work out the gremlins and then come back the next day after sleeping on it. I try and limit the number of takes though, things shouldn't be too perfect, unless it's pop/punk or something!
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Usually, my client sets this limit with the amount of money in his or her pocket.

But yeah. If it's a personal track, serious time limits get set. Usually, the first 3 to 4 hours mixing gets it done, or so in the ballpark that only minor tweaking is needed. If that doesn't happen, I usually trash the track, as it's an indication of deeper and more serious problems.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search