Login / Register

help me add a prestige mic to this list.......
New Reply
Subscribe
turing
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

help me add a prestige mic to this list.......

i'm finally (almost) in a position to get a decent mic for the mic cabinet, and was interested to see if anyone had some suggestions.

so the mics we have........

sez5600 with 6072 valve
2x aea r84
2x se3
2x modded mk319
3x tab funkenwerk sm57
sm58
beyer 201
beyer opus 65
sub kick
2x pzm
2x md421
2x akg d190
akg d222
shure 545
2x shure 515

i'm pretty happy with that as a workhorse array, but obviously we're missing the luxury item. i'd be looking to replace the sez5600, as even with the NOS valve it's too brittle and searing.
i'd like something with a rich sound. something with the kind of girth and depth that'll give you the instant gratification when you stick a vocalist or acoustic guitar in front of it (and yes i know that even the top tier mics don't work on every source). you know what i mean - the mic that clients will want to try out first for their vocals, the mic with some selling power for the studio.

1000 pounds, thick and smooth sounding, airy not harsh top end, maybe some name recognition but that is secondary to sound.
any thoughts?
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed .. the SE5600 is only half decent up to a point as a utility mic .. Beyond that .. Lead Vocals ? ? Nup ..

Previously I did well with an old Neumann U87 and an AKG 414EB .. However both mine were fickle, and after a few visits to a Tech, I've cashed them out. I'm in the same boat as you, and am looking to upgrade my "A" mic.

One Thing .. It sometimes depends whether you like a "Sharper" sounding mic which you can sit "In" the Track, or a "Smoother" sounding mic, which you can sit "Out" from the Track. It's also good to know whether the mic you're testing is operating "To Spec" ..

A few ideas :

* Beez Neez Arabella . . Spotted 1 for $1800 S/H recently .. Check both The Studio and Producer Series .. worth checking .. Number 1 Pick.
* Gefell UM92 or a UMT70 . . Beautiful . . Also Number 1 Pick.
* Pearlman T1 . . A great mic. Respectable for what you pay .. A little EQ can be good ..
* Lawson LMP47II . . Great mic ..
* Manley Ref C . . Brighter but still a warm, wonderful and classy mic for the money ..

I've used these and liked them all . . . All in the $1.5K - $2.5K Price Range SH . . Choice of Preamp is pretty important with all of these .. Anything too lightweight and you're shooting yerself in The Foot . . There are a few decent variations from these for less money (Advanced Audio 47, Audio Technica 4060) that you could buy New.

For more money (Above $3K) there are a number of choices and flavours .. While some are Great, others are just good, and not worth what you might get asked to pay for them . . (AKG "The Tube", stock C12VR, Neumann 147)

I'm also a bit of a fan of Milab, Pearl, Schoepes and DPA mics .. While I'd Love a Grosser, Horch, Wagner or a Kantola mic, the bank probably wouldn't jump for it.

I'd Love a vintage U47. But Buying Vintage mics can be a bit of a Crap Shoot. You might get lucky . . Best to clearly know the lineage and service history of the mic and what you're getting . . In which case you might be paying fairly high . .
turing
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

thanks for the input - and you guessed correctly, i'm going to get something modern, much as i'd love some vintage goodness we can't afford to have it not working.
beezneez and pearlman eh? never thought of those, not having encountered one. i'll start reading up and digging for sound files.

any thoughts on the peluso 251 clone? my all-time favourite valve mic i've used was the soundelux 251, which is obviously out of reach financially, but anything that can get close to it would be great.
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Head

Miktek c4v. You can thank me later..!
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing View Post
i'd like something with a rich sound. something with the kind of girth and depth that'll give you the instant gratification when you stick a vocalist or acoustic guitar in front of it (and yes i know that even the top tier mics don't work on every source). you know what i mean - the mic that clients will want to try out first for their vocals, the mic with some selling power for the studio.
Telefunken -- CU-29

You say you want to keep it under £1000 - call Kevin Walker at Unity Audio... he can set up a demo for you.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

How about keeping it under $150?

Replace that capsule with a decent k-47 or c-12 capsule. Or, if you want to play some, get the newer 34 mm k-67 capsules, those need some 'tuning' to flatten those out. If you want it darker, get the k-7 6 um capsule, fat in the lows, the classic k-47 3~5 k hz rise, and a damped top end.

The 5600 mic is good, it just needs a decent capsule. If you can twist a screwdriver and solder 3 wires, you're in.

You will achieve prestige when clients hear a great mic, not when they "see" one. If that were true, we would all put pics of them on our CD covers to help sell them.
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

How about seeing if the Folks at Beesneez have any of those 25 Studio series Arabellas for $800 left and hot rodding your SE with a decent Capsule ? 2 different takes under budget?

I feel like I should make the pissed smiley my Avitar

Eric Nelson
turing
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

thanks for all the suggestions - lots to think about there.

i have explored the 'upgrading the stock version' approach: i modded our mk319s and i got an apex 461 fully tricked out by oktavamod, but that's my own kit.

i lament as much as the next man that brand names count for as much as they do, but the number of people who've turned their noses up somewhat at the mic locker when they don't see neumann, telefunken etc, has definitely added up over the years. we all know that there's plenty of good alternatives and that any number of humbly-branded mics can do great things, but for us small studios a bit of the pixie dust from a high-end name does make a difference.

i've bought stuff from kevin at unity before, and i'm liking that cu29 idea. i sense a trial session coming up.

thanks again everyone.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search