Stand alone multi track recorders?
TC5
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Stand alone multi track recorders?

What's up with stand alone multi track recorders? It seems there's fewer of them available than previously. Besides the pricey Radar, there seems to be little selection out there. The Alesis HD24 was for a while a somewhat mid priced option but now discontinued. The low end units (Sonar V-studio 100, Tascam DR 680, etc) seem to fall a little short or are field recorders not meant for overdubbing.

My ideal machine would be a high quality compact 8 track stand alone recorder that's reasonably priced. Nothing really out there? I'm sick of hearing the noisy fan kick in on my MacBook Pro whenever I start tracking in Logic.
PDC
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
What's up with stand alone multi track recorders? It seems there's fewer of them available than previously. Besides the pricey Radar, there seems to be little selection out there. The Alesis HD24 was for a while a somewhat mid priced option but now discontinued. The low end units (Sonar V-studio 100, Tascam DR 680, etc) seem to fall a little short or are field recorders not meant for overdubbing.

My ideal machine would be a high quality compact 8 track stand alone recorder that's reasonably priced. Nothing really out there? I'm sick of hearing the noisy fan kick in on my MacBook Pro whenever I start tracking in Logic.
Tascam MX4848. Other than that, there is no market for what you want. Nobody in their right mind would make an 8 track. People wanted more than 8 when 4 tracks were the norm.
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Gear maniac

After years of computer-based frustration (for a variety of applications), I bought a Tascam 2488Neo last year. Love it lots, though it's been discontinued for the DP-24, which from all reports seems to be a step back from the 2488 line (reduced virtual track capability, lots of bugs, no monitor mute?!) even though it has a few positives (an honest-to-goodness knob for panning, color screen, SD card memory).

When I can afford a top-line computer for music, I'm probably still going to use the Neo for tracking and then just export the .wav files to a DAW. I know quite a few folks online who do exactly this, with good results.

But yeah, not much out there these days that seems to be worth a damn.
TC5
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

The Tascam DR680 comes the closest to what I would need but it cannot do overdubs. Otherwise this would be the right solution at the right price, provided I could go in using my own AD converters and outboard. I would then export the tracks to Logic for editing and mixing.
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for food

Re-Run answer courtesy of GS Recycle feature-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsV View Post
I cant understand why someone doesn't make a compact digital recorder with 8 ins, 8 outs, play, record, pause, forward, rewind and NOTHING ELSE. Basically a modern version of a multitrack Reel To Reel unit.
There WERE a LOT of those up until they were killed off by the lower price of portable computers+ sound cards circa 2002 or so.

I think you actually mean that you'd like to find one for just a few hundred dollars. Which is why they are not made any more.

No company is gonna blow time to make those standalone machines again when no one is willing to pay.

My D90s and D80s are exactly what you mention above. But, they were a couple of grand each new. I can get about an hour recording time on either by popping in a 40gb or 80gb ide drive (not supported at the time, but it does work).

The ebay route for one of the older machines is a good suggestion.

If you go new for a model like the hs-8 ,you're in about 4 grand. A portable computer + sound card can be had for a fraction of the price.[/QUOTE]
TC5
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

My D90s and D80s are exactly what you mention above.
Not familiar with these. Who made them?

Ok found it. Fostex.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

I have an Akai DR16 I'd be happy to sell you if you're OK with 16bit/48kHz...killer analog stages in and out...but it's 16 track rather than 8. was a standard on dubbing stages back in the day. will do 8 in.
inbox me if you'd like to discuss.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Here is a 40 track.
Attached Thumbnails
Stand alone multi track recorders?-stephens-40-track.jpg  
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear addict

I live at my Roland VS2480...More tracks than you need (24 tracks, 16 inputs) but perhaps look into the 8 track VS counterpart?
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Besides the HD24 (XR or non) which even discontinued is relatively easy to find used at a reasonable price.. there's the JoeCo blackbox recorder JoeCo - Home of the BlackBox Recorder not on the cheap side but it's 1RU..
Also the RME UFX works in standalone mode with 12 channels of AD/DA apparently..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Sound Devices have some nice stuff. Not cheap though.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
Here is a 40 track.
I believe he asked for an 8-track
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

The Fostex D2424LV was one of the best. I have one. Only use it every now and then..... Just recently discontinued.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

As I sit trying to find a better system than my AkaiDPS24...for anywhere NEAR the price I paid for it.

If they would just do a new version that moved from 24tracks at 24/48 to 32 at 24/96...replace the ADAT IO with AES or MADI to match the new sample rate...I'd buy one for what was the LIST PRICE when I bought--which is twice what I paid some 8+ years ago.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

If you just want to track...then mix on the computer--look at that little Zoom r16 (?) that records to an SD card and fits in a laptop bag. USB transfers the files to the computer.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
I'm sick of hearing the noisy fan kick in on my MacBook Pro whenever I start tracking in Logic.
Is this your only reason for wanting a standalone recorder? if so why not just get a keyboard and monitor extender for your mac so that it's not in the same room, or even just in a cupboard?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
As I sit trying to find a better system than my AkaiDPS24...for anywhere NEAR the price I paid for it.

If they would just do a new version that moved from 24tracks at 24/48 to 32 at 24/96...replace the ADAT IO with AES or MADI to match the new sample rate...I'd buy one for what was the LIST PRICE when I bought--which is twice what I paid some 8+ years ago.
Hey Popmann,

Wanna buy my DPS24? I haven't touched it in years.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Roland VSR-880

Fostex D108

Basically old stuff..
|-|
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
|-|
Lives for gear

RME UFX

Superb sound card that is able to be fully functional without a computer.

Stand alone 60 I/O recording direct to a USB hard drive of your choice no computer required.

Boot your computer back up and it will act as both a sound card and stand alone hard disk recorder simultaneously.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear interested

Check out the Boss BR Series. Plenty of features and good bang for the buck. I have the BR1600CD and use it all the time. It's especially good for recording drums because of the 8 XLR inputs. I've done complete bands at their space and gave them a CD of the final mix before leaving, without any additional gear other than my microphones.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
RME UFX
hahaha... at $2300, that doesn't quite fit with what the op mentioned. At the rme price point (the same price points that killed off the older standalones), you're back to a cheap laptop and a good sound card being far more flexible at a fraction of the price.

You're just not gonna find a standalone "new" machine for a few hundered dollars. The ebay route for the old machines is the way to go if you want everything mentioned in the op.

For the original problem...noise on a Mac... there are lots of other alternatives rather than dumping the Mac. As someone noted, you can put the Mac in a different room and use various solutions for remote controlling things from wherever you are standing/sitting for tracking.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Can I just seond the recommendation for the Tascam 2488neo?

I bought one a couple of years ago and pretty much quit using it when I finally went fully ITB.

But I have just finished playing on a project recorded entirely in a 2488.

Incredibly fast for tracking and dead easy to transfer into a PC or Mac.
And we could burn a redbook cd from within the machine at the end of each session.

I am now wondering about unearthing MY 2488, which has done very little but gather dust till now.

Surprisingly underrated. And CHEAP nowadays
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Somebody really needs to build an affordable battery powered 12 track 24 bit 96 kHz recorder player with no bells or whistles - just simple conversion, clean preamps and solid state storage. This would be perfect for tracking a small band or drum kit, with zero AC problems. It would also be perfect for live playback - so the applications for all musicians would be huge.

So many people are pissed off with computers for serious silent glitch free zero-embarrasment audio applications. Do we want to spend our life struggling with multiple vendor incompatibilies, or do we just want to make and perform music??

A simple box like this would sell like hotcakes - and as long as the conversion quality was good (and with pure DC power, why the fck shouldn't it be good?) then it would be a perfect SILENT hasslefree way to make records anywhere.

I want one.

Even Behringer would do.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Here ya go.

Ooops sorry I just realised you said affordable...
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hmmm ... that's nearly what I want. Ideally i'd like a solid state drive, like the new Macs. $5000 is a bit scary ...
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevega View Post
Hey Popmann,

Wanna buy my DPS24? I haven't touched it in years.
So I could have two of the huge things sitting here to achieve 24 tracks at 96k...with none of the other things it needs a decade later? No thanks.

The more I work with the computer, though, the more I confirm what an amazing stand alone is capable of...I mean, I bought mine NEW for $2200 like 8+ years ago. Find a computer, control surface with 13 faders (much more solid than my MCU), analog master section, with 12 very decent preamps (best I've heard built into anything digital), and probabaly 24x24 analog IO of various types all digitally assignable...for a couple grand new. Not to mention that it interfaced with the world nicely--aiff/BWAV import/export via USB or CD....ADAT IO...SPDIF that reclocks the input...

It was brilliant machine. I can't tell you how long I've spent trying to figure out how to get software mixers into its ballpark of sound. I've gotten close enough now with VCC, that other factors make software the way I need to go...but, it's a decade old...that's what I try to explain. While computers do equal technology...tech does not equal a personal computer. A dedicated piece of tech hardware at any given point will spank what CISC based personal computers can do...they just haven't actually designed hardware in 10 years now...
TC5
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The older gear seems to be mostly outdated in one way or another. Which one uses iOmega Jazz drives?

With the current technology a great little box could be produced that fits the bill perfectly. I guess manufacturers only want to invest in producing higher cost (48 tracks!) units or real low end portastudio type units.
TC5
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico View Post
Is this your only reason for wanting a standalone recorder? if so why not just get a keyboard and monitor extender for your mac so that it's not in the same room, or even just in a cupboard?
Besides the fan noise, I would prefer while tracking to have the most simple setup possible but making no compromise on audio quality whatsoever (which should be easy enough to do if I can use my Metric Halo ULN2 for the AD conversion). Turn on, plug in, record. The last thing I want to do when tracking it f*ck around with a whole bunch of distracting functions. Would be good to get off the computer for that and focus completely on the music. Looking to track guitars mostly.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

The smart thing would be for a vendor to make a modular unit that can be expanded and updated as interfaces and storage options change.

I would love to see a return to hardware for recording. Silent, Li-ion DC powered (for remote options and freedom from AC shit).

I still want to transfer the files to a computer DAW for mixing - so the OS and GUI could be ultra simple and idiot proof. No need for knobs ... i'd be very happy with digital control over the analog section.
DuX
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
DuX
Gear nut

Well, these days you can assemble a little comp for 300EU that's quite capable of recording far more than 8 tracks, man. There's no point in buying a high priced HD recorder. Even the lowest performance computers these days can handle recording dozens of tracks at 24/96. Buy an Atom, ITX board [17x17cm], put an audio card of your choice in it and you have a HD recorder for like 400EU. Of course, if you put an RME card in it, it would be more costly, but HDSP 9652 [that I have] can be had for 300EU these days. Now marry it with three Presonus Digimax FS [or D8 if you don't mind recording at 48kHz only] and you have a very capable 24 track recording system and no noise as Atom motherboards tend to run passively-no fans!.

Just my 2c... Cheers!

p.s. no, I don't use this system, but I've recorded live shows with 40+ tracks on an old [~2005] Pentium III single core laptop with a similar system with three Mackie Onyx preamps without any problems and the CPU consumption was like around 10% all the time! The recording went smooth as a butter.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search