5.1 analogue source switching
New Reply
Subscribe
Neurodriver
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Gear nut

5.1 analogue source switching

I'm wondering if any of you can help me...

I'm looking for a cost-effective but high quality solution which will allow me to switch my monitoring between two sets of analogue 5.1 inputs.

It's a seemingly simple ask, however professional solutions start at around £500+, which seems like crazy money for something which is essentially 6 relays in a rack case.

The only other solution which has been suggested is to get a D-Type printer switch box - they only cost around £10, however getting the D-Type cable looms to wire it up would cost £180...and I'd be a little concerned about the quality of the switch unit itself.

Does anybody know of something in-between that is of decent quality and designed for audio, but at a more sensible price point?
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurodriver View Post
I'm wondering if any of you can help me...

I'm looking for a cost-effective but high quality solution which will allow me to switch my monitoring between two sets of analogue 5.1 inputs.

It's a seemingly simple ask, however professional solutions start at around £500+, which seems like crazy money for something which is essentially 6 relays in a rack case.

The only other solution which has been suggested is to get a D-Type printer switch box - they only cost around £10, however getting the D-Type cable looms to wire it up would cost £180...and I'd be a little concerned about the quality of the switch unit itself.

Does anybody know of something in-between that is of decent quality and designed for audio, but at a more sensible price point?
5.1 music creation gear at the budget end is scarce, because it's difficult to do 5.1 on a budget - its difficult to get accurate stereo monitoring on a budget, let alone an accurate 5.1 room! Plus of course the market for 5.1 creation for fun/demos etc is small - most people don't have an ac3 encoder!

Anyway, I reckon your best bet is to look for a 2nd hand audient or spl controller. Shouldn't be stupidly expensive.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search