Login / Register
 
help me choose an appropriate reverb unit
New Reply
Subscribe
substitute
Thread Starter
#1
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
substitute is offline
help me choose an appropriate reverb unit

Hi folks,
I'm shopping for a hardware reverb unit, I've been poking around the various "best reverb" threads. My issue is I'm not really sure what my budget should be. I have a small-ish collection of fairly nice gear...

-mics, peluso 2247, beyer ribbons, and a few studio work horses.
-pre's, drip Redd 47, telefunken v676
-out board, drip la2a, group DIY 2254, Gpultec

So, IMHO I have a pretty good bang for the buck signal chain but it's not like neuman or elam mics, DW Fearn pre's, Thermionic culture level of gear. So, I'd like to pick up a reverb unit that can "keep up" with the resy of the signal chain so to speak, if that makes sense.

I'm looking at...
On the under $500 side: Sony R7, Ibanez SDR 1000, various Lexicons, Roland SPX line.

On the under $1000 side: Eventide h3000, Roland R880, nicer lexicons.

So my question is, given the other gear I have, what units or pricerange would be appropriate? I'm ok with spending up to $1000, but I don't need the reverb to be my nicest piece I just don't want it to be the weakest link either.

Thanks!
#2
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
NeoHippy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,684

NeoHippy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by substitute View Post
Hi folks,
I'm shopping for a hardware reverb unit, I've been poking around the various "best reverb" threads. My issue is I'm not really sure what my budget should be. I have a small-ish collection of fairly nice gear...

-mics, peluso 2247, beyer ribbons, and a few studio work horses.
-pre's, drip Redd 47, telefunken v676
-out board, drip la2a, group DIY 2254, Gpultec

So, IMHO I have a pretty good bang for the buck signal chain but it's not like neuman or elam mics, DW Fearn pre's, Thermionic culture level of gear. So, I'd like to pick up a reverb unit that can "keep up" with the resy of the signal chain so to speak, if that makes sense.

I'm looking at...
On the under $500 side: Sony R7, Ibanez SDR 1000, various Lexicons, Roland SPX line.

On the under $1000 side: Eventide h3000, Roland R880, nicer lexicons.

So my question is, given the other gear I have, what units or pricerange would be appropriate? I'm ok with spending up to $1000, but I don't need the reverb to be my nicest piece I just don't want it to be the weakest link either.

Thanks!
i believe it depends on what "kind" of reverb you are looking for...

for example a tc m5000 has totally different reverbs(also functions and the way it works) than a lexicon...

lexicon reverbs sound rather realistic and also work that way...

i most often prefer the realistic lexicon style...

pretty cheap but pretty good is the mpx1...has some really nice reberbs...
if you have a bit more cash go for a pcm...i think they sound great too

well and if you have really enough money, and like rather realistic reverbs,go for a 480 ..

i really love its reverbs..its really easy to handle and always a succes after a couple of minuits working with it!!(even though i dont own one by my self)

also really really nice verbs has the bricasti m7...but its as expensic as a 480...

hope this helped a little
#3
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,020

Bassmankr is offline
Just give yourself some variety. I would add just a bit to your budget with these used choices:

Lexicon PCM70 - $500 (typical Lex sound)

Sony R7 - $300 (clean, lush)

Ibanez SDR1000+ - $130 (dark)

Yamaha D1500 (delay) - $75 (warm)

Behringer V-Verb Pro - $80 (modern)

So with some smart used buying, $1100 can cover a lot of sonic ground. Of course we would all love to have a real plate/Bricassi/AMS/upper end Lex but with your budget I think variety is your best option.
substitute
Thread Starter
#4
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #4
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
substitute is offline
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
i believe it depends on what "kind" of reverb you are looking for...
Good point, I don't think I had really defined this for myself yet. I would say I like my gear to be fairly hi-fi, but not necessarily neutral, color/character is great but I'm not going for like any specific vibe, retro or otherwise.

Quote:
Just give yourself some variety. I would add just a bit to your budget with these used choices:
A sensible strategy. Maybe it'd be best to just start somewhere and plan on owning several eventually. When thinking of reverbs "lush" always seems like a good adjective.
#5
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
paul999's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton AB. Canada
Posts: 1,061

paul999 is online now
I have a PCM70&90. Of these two the PCM 90 would be the hardest to give up. That in combination with a good plug like the SSL x-verb would be great.
__________________
#6
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #6
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 10,479

Fletcher is offline
Look for an SPX-90 on eBay... they're cheap, but they work.
#7
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,941

Kiwi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Look for an SPX-90 on eBay... they're cheap, but they work.
Ugh ... hissy, grainy boxes which are good for live, where hiss doesn't matter and grainy reverb gets smeared over by the hall acoustics.

No love for the Kurzweils anymore?

Is this for recording? Does this have to be hardware? Software slays cheap hardware now.

What is the purpose of this reverb - i'm assuming studio mixing? Do you want to use it analog or digital?
#8
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,020

Bassmankr is offline
Well I just checked an ebay auction on the Behringer V-Verb Pro and $80 was the OLD price. Looks like they have shot up a bit so wait till it cools back down on those. The Behringer sounds close to the Kurzweil Rumour to me (wasn't there something about Behringer "borrowing" from Kurzweil?). Remember there is always another auction so set your price and wait for the deals to come to you, that way you will stretch your budget. One cheapo character unit I guess you could add to the watch list that I like the sound of is the Art DR-X 2100 SE. It rarely pops up but when it does it usually goes for under $50. Just watch input/output settings to minimize noise.
substitute
Thread Starter
#9
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #9
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
substitute is offline
It seems like the spx-90's get really mixed reviews, which doesn't mean it might not be perfect for me, but in trying to narrow down a pretty wide field...

Quote:
No love for the Kurzweils anymore?
That's an option too

Quote:
Is this for recording? Does this have to be hardware? Software slays cheap hardware now.

What is the purpose of this reverb - i'm assuming studio mixing? Do you want to use it analog or digital?
Yes, it's for studio mixing. I just don't really like plugins, I think they sound great I just don't like the act of using software very much.
So to hopefully better explain my predicament...
Tracking to an Otari Mx5050, through the above mentioned gear, mixing through a really strange piece... it's this korean clone of a studer 269. Currently I just do basics to tape, transfer to PT and mix ITB, but I'd like to move away from that. What range of reverb units would keep up with that signal chain?
#10
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #10
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: London UK
Posts: 152

bambony is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by substitute View Post
It seems like the spx-90's get really mixed reviews, which doesn't mean it might not be perfect for me, but in trying to narrow down a pretty wide field...
I think the SPX-90 is not so hot as a reverb device. Cheap Lexicons are better as is a MIDIVERB II and most of the other recommendations here too...

Tony
#11
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #11
Gear maniac
 
Synchronia's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Rome
Posts: 208

Synchronia is offline
Sony DPS V77
#12
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,859

ddageek is offline
Yamaha Pro3r, their last stab at state of the art alogrithmic reverb, TC M3000 and a lexicon LXP 15 cleaned up by Jim Williams would cover alot of ground.
__________________
I have had worse days, but hey I've been on fire!

I feel like I should make the pissed smiley my Avitar

Eric Nelson
substitute
Thread Starter
#13
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
  #13
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
substitute is offline
I picked up a Dynacord DRP 15 this afternoon. Not a lot of info out there but people compared it to the nicer lexicon units so I figured I'd give it a try. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it but so far so good. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I think it sounds very natural, clean, but not at all glossy or hyped. It seems like it's natural state is pretty subtle, meaning most of the presets aren't fireworks, which is probably a good thing. I don't have a manual yet, but I'm not sure one is necessary. Tweaking the presets was really easy, and they can definitely get pushed into GIANT FX territory. Neato
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
James Roper-Kum / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
48
RedEar / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
51
el cochino / Live Sound
0
mastersonjon / High end
6
ezrecords / So much gear, so little time!
6

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.