What is the most important effect?
baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

A lot of people ask "What should I buy next?" but it's interesting that most folks immediately recommend with a piece of hardware instead of asking "What kind of music do you make/mix and what do you need to reach your goals?"

I am a lone songwriter in a project studio and I'm not mixing bands / full drum kits. Since this stuff is so expensive, I've been trying to figure out what I need and what I use the most. After using a hardware 2 channel EQ (Great River), I realized that I wanted to get out of the box entirely for EQ-ing, so I bought a Toft. ITB compression seems fairly good to me, but I am now wanting for better reverb.

Just a ramble. Anyone on a similar journey?
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Is it more important to breathe or to eat?
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

A very programmable analog delay probably... a lot of fx can be made from delays like chorus and sounds that sound like a.comb filter and more

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
A very programmable analog delay probably... a lot of fx can be made from delays like chorus and sounds that sound like a.comb filter and more
I've been trying to use more delay than reverb, as per many a Slutz recommendation, and I've been getting pleasing results.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

I think the most important effect is lowcut/hicut.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Stereo is a pretty good effect.
It's twice as good as mono.
One for each ear.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Good recording techniques can never be replaced. Drunk patrons can't hurt either.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
breathe, of course
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

If your'e really looking for great fx, try an eventide H3000. Besides distortion and compression, it will cover every base. It can sweeten up every sound you throw at it.
And, stereo is still the best effect yet.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

Being a guitarist who grew up listening to Andy Summers and the Edge, I'd have to say DELAY, preferably a nice analog or tape flavor (though there are some nice digital benefits as well).
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
It's all about what you are specifically doing. No single effect is useful in all situations, though in most situations it's useful to have a flexible equalizer. There are of course different kinds of EQ. Some are for careful correction, leaving little to no audible "fingerprints". Some are for sweetening and specifically have a flavor they impart. Others are somewhere between the two and some are very interesting in that they can be sweet and surgical depending on how you use them.

Equalization aside, whatever effect you need is best chosen based on what you're specifically dealing with, not necessarily genre of music; I find genres less useful for deciding on gear than the specific sound you're after, and it takes a while to know what kind of sound you need and what kind of sound certain pieces give you. If, for example, you find you want to control the dynamics of a vocal in such a way as to make it seem like there is nothing going on, yet the vocal just sits in the right place, then you might be looking for a compressor/limiter that didn't leave too much of a fingerprint on the sound but could handle a vocal's dynamic range. That's a genre independent decision for the most part.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
It's all about what you are specifically doing. No single effect is useful in all situations, though in most situations it's useful to have a flexible equalizer. There are of course different kinds of EQ. Some are for careful correction, leaving little to no audible "fingerprints". Some are for sweetening and specifically have a flavor they impart. Others are somewhere between the two and some are very interesting in that they can be sweet and surgical depending on how you use them.

Equalization aside, whatever effect you need is best chosen based on what you're specifically dealing with, not necessarily genre of music; I find genres less useful for deciding on gear than the specific sound you're after, and it takes a while to know what kind of sound you need and what kind of sound certain pieces give you. If, for example, you find you want to control the dynamics of a vocal in such a way as to make it seem like there is nothing going on, yet the vocal just sits in the right place, then you might be looking for a compressor/limiter that didn't leave too much of a fingerprint on the sound but could handle a vocal's dynamic range. That's a genre independent decision for the most part.
He's got a toft for the eq, and is happy with internal compression. An eventide is the perfect effects, and will compliment both of the above.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Eventide is great.. i own an eclipse.. i think the op is more interested in the actual fx that make up the actual modules in an fx box

baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Yes indeed! I have an ADR Compex on the way. A few UA products are on the wishlist. I like the soft versions of the 1176 and the LA3A. I'd love to compare these with the hardware models.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
Eventide is great.. i own an eclipse.. i think the op is more interested in the actual fx that make up the actual modules in an fx box

Sssssshhhhh, I was trying to butter him up and then try and sell him my defective eventide. Now stay cool, I havn't blown the deal yet.
baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
He's got a toft for the eq, and is happy with internal compression. An eventide is the perfect effects, and will compliment both of the above.
Thanks!
baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Sssssshhhhh, I was trying to butter him up and then try and sell him my defective eventide. Now stay cool, I havn't blown the deal yet.
In that case, I have a tape machine that you'll love.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
ITB compression seems fairly good to me
Due respect, it seems you have not experienced any serious analog compression units... something tells me that if you had, you'd have a different perception [I could be wrong... but that's been my experience].

Peace
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla View Post
Being a guitarist who grew up listening to Andy Summers and the Edge, I'd have to say DELAY, preferably a nice analog or tape flavor (though there are some nice digital benefits as well).
Any recommendations, what are you using at the moment . ?

cheers
Macky
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear nut

Most important effect is emotion. That's if someone hasnt said it already.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

The one piece of outboard I couldn´t do without is my space echo.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Most engineers don't class EQ / Compression as effects...

So reverb it is!
baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Due respect, it seems you have not experienced any serious analog compression units... something tells me that if you had, you'd have a different perception [I could be wrong... but that's been my experience]. Peace
Agreed! That may be the weakest link in my chain, although I am satisfied but not doing cartwheels over my ITB compressors. My reverb is merely passable.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
In that case, I have a tape machine that you'll love.

I'd love to get a tape recorder. I'm assuming it's never been used, right?
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Talent
baskervils
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
What is the most important effect? Talent
Yep. I've been waiting for the Wrecking Crew plugin... or the vastly superior hardware unit... for years...

24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
Breathe. Food i can be without for a day. I would probably survive without eating for a couple of weeks. I can handle no breath for one minute. But without it for ten i will be dead.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear maniac

3-D
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Any recommendations, what are you using at the moment . ?

cheers
Macky
Here's a few that have yet to fail me:

Hardware:

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo
Maxon AD900
EHX Memory Man
Diamond Memory Lane Jr.

Plugs:

Echoboy
Ohmboyz
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Geariophile

Farting. Farting is the most relieving effect. That's important.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search