Login / Register
 
What is the most important effect?
New Reply
Subscribe
baskervils
Thread Starter
#1
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
What is the most important effect?

What is the most important effect?

A lot of people ask "What should I buy next?" but it's interesting that most folks immediately recommend with a piece of hardware instead of asking "What kind of music do you make/mix and what do you need to reach your goals?"

I am a lone songwriter in a project studio and I'm not mixing bands / full drum kits. Since this stuff is so expensive, I've been trying to figure out what I need and what I use the most. After using a hardware 2 channel EQ (Great River), I realized that I wanted to get out of the box entirely for EQ-ing, so I bought a Toft. ITB compression seems fairly good to me, but I am now wanting for better reverb.

Just a ramble. Anyone on a similar journey?
#2
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,685

mcgruff is offline
Is it more important to breathe or to eat?
#3
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Rust Creep's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,044

Rust Creep is offline
A very programmable analog delay probably... a lot of fx can be made from delays like chorus and sounds that sound like a.comb filter and more

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
__________________
that acid makes my disco hard

https://soundcloud.com/rust-creep/grundle
baskervils
Thread Starter
#4
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
A very programmable analog delay probably... a lot of fx can be made from delays like chorus and sounds that sound like a.comb filter and more
Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
I've been trying to use more delay than reverb, as per many a Slutz recommendation, and I've been getting pleasing results.
#5
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 2,613

frans is offline
I think the most important effect is lowcut/hicut.
#6
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,370

TheBrightSide is online now
Stereo is a pretty good effect.
It's twice as good as mono.
One for each ear.
#7
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
fastlanestoner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,733

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
fastlanestoner is offline
Good recording techniques can never be replaced. Drunk patrons can't hurt either.
#8
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #8
Gear maniac
 
Waxavub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 159

Waxavub is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
Is it more important to breathe or to eat?
breathe, of course
#9
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,370

TheBrightSide is online now
If your'e really looking for great fx, try an eventide H3000. Besides distortion and compression, it will cover every base. It can sweeten up every sound you throw at it.
And, stereo is still the best effect yet.
#10
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #10
Gear addict
 
godotzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 310

godotzilla is offline
Being a guitarist who grew up listening to Andy Summers and the Edge, I'd have to say DELAY, preferably a nice analog or tape flavor (though there are some nice digital benefits as well).
#11
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Enlightened Hand's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,832

Enlightened Hand is offline
It's all about what you are specifically doing. No single effect is useful in all situations, though in most situations it's useful to have a flexible equalizer. There are of course different kinds of EQ. Some are for careful correction, leaving little to no audible "fingerprints". Some are for sweetening and specifically have a flavor they impart. Others are somewhere between the two and some are very interesting in that they can be sweet and surgical depending on how you use them.

Equalization aside, whatever effect you need is best chosen based on what you're specifically dealing with, not necessarily genre of music; I find genres less useful for deciding on gear than the specific sound you're after, and it takes a while to know what kind of sound you need and what kind of sound certain pieces give you. If, for example, you find you want to control the dynamics of a vocal in such a way as to make it seem like there is nothing going on, yet the vocal just sits in the right place, then you might be looking for a compressor/limiter that didn't leave too much of a fingerprint on the sound but could handle a vocal's dynamic range. That's a genre independent decision for the most part.
__________________
Liz - recordist, mixing dragon lady
thoughts

https://soundcloud.com/audio-wisdom/sets/demo-reel
#12
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,370

TheBrightSide is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
It's all about what you are specifically doing. No single effect is useful in all situations, though in most situations it's useful to have a flexible equalizer. There are of course different kinds of EQ. Some are for careful correction, leaving little to no audible "fingerprints". Some are for sweetening and specifically have a flavor they impart. Others are somewhere between the two and some are very interesting in that they can be sweet and surgical depending on how you use them.

Equalization aside, whatever effect you need is best chosen based on what you're specifically dealing with, not necessarily genre of music; I find genres less useful for deciding on gear than the specific sound you're after, and it takes a while to know what kind of sound you need and what kind of sound certain pieces give you. If, for example, you find you want to control the dynamics of a vocal in such a way as to make it seem like there is nothing going on, yet the vocal just sits in the right place, then you might be looking for a compressor/limiter that didn't leave too much of a fingerprint on the sound but could handle a vocal's dynamic range. That's a genre independent decision for the most part.
He's got a toft for the eq, and is happy with internal compression. An eventide is the perfect effects, and will compliment both of the above.
#13
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Rust Creep's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,044

Rust Creep is offline
Eventide is great.. i own an eclipse.. i think the op is more interested in the actual fx that make up the actual modules in an fx box

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
baskervils
Thread Starter
#14
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Equalization aside, whatever effect you need is best chosen based on what you're specifically dealing with, not necessarily genre of music; I find genres less useful for deciding on gear than the specific sound you're after, and it takes a while to know what kind of sound you need and what kind of sound certain pieces give you. If, for example, you find you want to control the dynamics of a vocal in such a way as to make it seem like there is nothing going on, yet the vocal just sits in the right place, then you might be looking for a compressor/limiter that didn't leave too much of a fingerprint on the sound but could handle a vocal's dynamic range. That's a genre independent decision for the most part.
Yes indeed! I have an ADR Compex on the way. A few UA products are on the wishlist. I like the soft versions of the 1176 and the LA3A. I'd love to compare these with the hardware models.
#15
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,370

TheBrightSide is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
Eventide is great.. i own an eclipse.. i think the op is more interested in the actual fx that make up the actual modules in an fx box

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
Sssssshhhhh, I was trying to butter him up and then try and sell him my defective eventide. Now stay cool, I havn't blown the deal yet.
baskervils
Thread Starter
#16
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
He's got a toft for the eq, and is happy with internal compression. An eventide is the perfect effects, and will compliment both of the above.
Thanks!
baskervils
Thread Starter
#17
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Sssssshhhhh, I was trying to butter him up and then try and sell him my defective eventide. Now stay cool, I havn't blown the deal yet.
In that case, I have a tape machine that you'll love.
#18
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #18
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 10,479

Fletcher is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
ITB compression seems fairly good to me
Due respect, it seems you have not experienced any serious analog compression units... something tells me that if you had, you'd have a different perception [I could be wrong... but that's been my experience].

Peace
__________________

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums


mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
#19
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,592

Macky is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla View Post
Being a guitarist who grew up listening to Andy Summers and the Edge, I'd have to say DELAY, preferably a nice analog or tape flavor (though there are some nice digital benefits as well).
Any recommendations, what are you using at the moment . ?

cheers
Macky
#20
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #20
Gear nut
 
ofie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 101

ofie is offline
Most important effect is emotion. That's if someone hasnt said it already.
#21
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Outlaw Hans's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Groningen, Holland
Posts: 937

Outlaw Hans is offline
The one piece of outboard I couldn´t do without is my space echo.
#22
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
EddieTheRed's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,018

EddieTheRed is offline
Most engineers don't class EQ / Compression as effects...

So reverb it is!
baskervils
Thread Starter
#23
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Due respect, it seems you have not experienced any serious analog compression units... something tells me that if you had, you'd have a different perception [I could be wrong... but that's been my experience]. Peace
Agreed! That may be the weakest link in my chain, although I am satisfied but not doing cartwheels over my ITB compressors. My reverb is merely passable.
#24
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,370

TheBrightSide is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
In that case, I have a tape machine that you'll love.

I'd love to get a tape recorder. I'm assuming it's never been used, right?
#25
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
The Real MC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: secluded tranquil country
Posts: 2,971

The Real MC is offline
What is the most important effect?

Talent
baskervils
Thread Starter
#26
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

Thread Starter
baskervils is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
What is the most important effect? Talent
Yep. I've been waiting for the Wrecking Crew plugin... or the vastly superior hardware unit... for years...

#27
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #27
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 283

bace is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
Is it more important to breathe or to eat?
Breathe. Food i can be without for a day. I would probably survive without eating for a couple of weeks. I can handle no breath for one minute. But without it for ten i will be dead.
#28
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #28
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Россия
Posts: 284

egoEgo is offline
3-D
#29
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #29
Gear addict
 
godotzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 310

godotzilla is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Any recommendations, what are you using at the moment . ?

cheers
Macky
Here's a few that have yet to fail me:

Hardware:

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo
Maxon AD900
EHX Memory Man
Diamond Memory Lane Jr.

Plugs:

Echoboy
Ohmboyz
#30
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #30
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: london
Posts: 13,333

Karloff70 is online now
Farting. Farting is the most relieving effect. That's important.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
danijel / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
4
astorian / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5
Dissdnt_penguin / So many guitars, so little time!
19
Lefrançais / So much gear, so little time!
2
Steve Smith / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.