What uses for Dynamic EQ?
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear maniac

What uses for Dynamic EQ?

I'm trying to understand the differences between standard compressors, de-essers, EQ's and dynamic EQ's. In what situations would you choose a dynamic EQ over a standard EQ or a standard de-esser or even a standard compressor?
Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2012
compressors reduce gain as per the device's settings and characteristics. De-essers do this dependent on high frequencies (the essss). EQ simply boosts or attenuates frequencies as a fixed settings (similar to a multi band comp). Dynamic EQ does this but instead of being fixed, it reduces (or increases) gain like a compressor. There is some overlap; some de-essers only compress the HF information, making it more like a dynamic EQ. That being said, at least in my experience, I've seen plenty 'o hardware comps and EQ, but only a few de-essers and no dynamic EQ, these live in DAW's
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott003 View Post
compressors reduce gain as per the device's settings and characteristics. De-essers do this dependent on high frequencies (the essss). EQ simply boosts or attenuates frequencies as a fixed settings (similar to a multi band comp). Dynamic EQ does this but instead of being fixed, it reduces (or increases) gain like a compressor. There is some overlap; some de-essers only compress the HF information, making it more like a dynamic EQ. That being said, at least in my experience, I've seen plenty 'o hardware comps and EQ, but only a few de-essers and no dynamic EQ, these live in DAW's
Thanks. So a de-esser is really a dynamic EQ with limited features? Am I correct in assuming that the choice of applying dynamic EQ over a compressor or a regular EQ is when you want to do surgery on a source and keep it as pure as possible?
Old 22nd April 2012
Yes and no, some operate differently, such as the Derr-esser, which limits HF as per a ratio of low to high as I read somewhere. De-essers function to remove the ess, whereas dynamic EQ provides frequency shaping dynamically. Dynamic EQ is great for surgery or special tasks, I've used it to pump up a kick drum that was too low, among other things. However, don't underestimate the usefulness of side chains; you can make a regular old comp do very specific things by filtering or EQ'ing the side chain
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I guess the key aspect is the question:
What do I need to leave as unaffected as possible whilst doing a specific job?

A normal EQ will have a (pre-)set affect on the entire signal... if you can use something IN the signal to trigger certain behaviour, then you can kill problems without doing too much damage to the rest of the signal.

You can, as has been stated, filter the signal that controls the dynamic device, and/or you can filter the range of frequencies that the device will affect.

Side-effect mitigation.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear maniac

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble picturing what a dynamic EQ is doing. If you cut a frequency in a dynamic EQ, is it doing nothing until that frequency crosses a threshold, and then does it only attenuate that frequency? And if you boost a frequency, does it act as an expander for only that frequency, boosting only that frequency when a threshold is crossed?
Old 24th April 2012
correct, at least to my understanding
Old 25th April 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicManic View Post
I don't know why I'm having so much trouble picturing what a dynamic EQ is doing. If you cut a frequency in a dynamic EQ, is it doing nothing until that frequency crosses a threshold, and then does it only attenuate that frequency? And if you boost a frequency, does it act as an expander for only that frequency, boosting only that frequency when a threshold is crossed?
+1 to my understanding as well. Pretty similar to a multiband compressor / expander. That said, what is the difference between a dynamic EQ and a multiband compressor / expander? At least internally, they should basically work the same.

Applications that come to my mind (for both of these processors) are:
- The lowend of a chugga chugga guitar needs to be tamed down in level, but only when it occurs and not always (like a static EQ would do).
- Some piercing frequencies in a vocal needs to be tamed down, but only when it occurs etc...
Old 25th April 2012
you should check out Dynamic equalizer plugin with spectrums (AU, VST) - Voxengo GlissEQ - Voxengo if you are interested in experimenting with a dynamic EQ...
you can change the filters to have different dynamic behavior and the analyzer helps you see what the filter is reacting to...a little reading of the manual and you have a nice learning tool...
i found it useful for live recordings where i may have an occasional "swell" of feedback or something and you can isolate the frequency to attenuate but don't have to completely notch it out...works good...
Old 25th April 2012
Gear maniac

voxengo gliss eq is excellent, also is
MeldaProduction Equalizers

gliss eq can also act as a kind of transient enhancer, whereas melda can be set up more like a compressor, with more specific control over its behavior, including side chain. They both work well as normal eqs also. (melda has a sale for this month)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search