1 Mic To Multiple Preamps Without Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
SoSueMe
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

1 Mic To Multiple Preamps Without Mixer

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread; not sure where to put it.

Has anyone tried this? I figure it would be trickier with phantom power, however I do own a dedicated phantom power unit. What about the effects attenuation loss and varying preamp impedance loads? Any reliable methods? Maybe I'll try it on a 57 first since I have like 8 of them.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Is your goal to audition multiple mic pre's easily, or something else? More info (and budget) may help.

Manley MicMAID 4x4 Mic/Micpre Matrix-Switcher is exactly what you may be looking for, but at $3500 MSRP may be out of reach.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
SoSueMe
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Is your goal to audition multiple mic pre's easily, or something else? More info (and budget) may help.

Manley MicMAID 4x4 Mic/Micpre Matrix-Switcher is exactly what you may be looking for, but at $3500 MSRP may be out of reach.
Thanks. Basically I just want to split the mic signal from one mic and then run them into separate preamps, which I have plenty of. In other words, splitting the signal before it hits the preamps.

Edit: And I want them to receive the signal at the same time, not switch between them.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lildrummerboy70
Radial makes some transformered splitter boxes. I have two of them. I use them in the studio and for recording live shows. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, a quality transformer mic level splitter is your best bet. If you are using a low output mic (ribbon, SM7B etc) you might consider a Cloudlifter or similar before the splitter.

EDIT: might have phantom power issues with the Cloudlifter - maybe use your most transparent mic preamp for a gentle clean boost before splitting it to your color preamps.
SoSueMe
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Awesome thanks guys. I didn't even know those existed.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search