Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL

Hello Gearslutz !

Today I will need some advice and info about an audio interface.

My Fast Track Ultra 8r just let me down (3 month after warranty )..It just shut down while I was working and now it does work internally but no way I can connect it to my PC (any fix or hint about that??)...I am currently checking with m-audio if they have any fix for that or if I can return it.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about buying another audio interface. 8 preamp is currently enough for me but I feel I could very soon need more so I want an audio interface with minimum 8 preamp, with USB and a way of expanding it to more preamp (trough ADAT for example)

So I've been looking on the web about what I could get and found the "Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL" very interesting and I am probably going for it.

I do have some question tough cause I never used ADAT.

Let's say I get the Presonus audiobox and one day I want more than 8 preamp. Can I just expand it to 16 preamp if I buy another 8 preamp with ADAT ? ("Presonus DigiMax FS" for example)

For exemple will I be able to do this :

Presonus DigiMax FS -> ADAT -> Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL -> USB -> Computer/DAW (meaning the only connection to my PC is USB)

Another question here : has anyone any experience with Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL ? is it any good ? what about the preamps ?

Any help welcome, thank you !

Mehdi
Old 16th April 2012
Gear interested

bump
Old 8th August 2012
Gear interested
Presonus audiobox 1818vsl

Hi Mehdi, what you describe is possible. I bought this piece of kit and have used it extensively over the last few months. I like it a lot and no matter what I have thrown at it so far it hasn't fallen over. See my review here: Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongoji View Post
Hello Gearslutz !

Today I will need some advice and info about an audio interface.

My Fast Track Ultra 8r just let me down (3 month after warranty )..It just shut down while I was working and now it does work internally but no way I can connect it to my PC (any fix or hint about that??)...I am currently checking with m-audio if they have any fix for that or if I can return it.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about buying another audio interface. 8 preamp is currently enough for me but I feel I could very soon need more so I want an audio interface with minimum 8 preamp, with USB and a way of expanding it to more preamp (trough ADAT for example)

So I've been looking on the web about what I could get and found the "Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL" very interesting and I am probably going for it.

I do have some question tough cause I never used ADAT.

Let's say I get the Presonus audiobox and one day I want more than 8 preamp. Can I just expand it to 16 preamp if I buy another 8 preamp with ADAT ? ("Presonus DigiMax FS" for example)

For exemple will I be able to do this :

Presonus DigiMax FS -> ADAT -> Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL -> USB -> Computer/DAW (meaning the only connection to my PC is USB)

Another question here : has anyone any experience with Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL ? is it any good ? what about the preamps ?

Any help welcome, thank you !

Mehdi
Old 9th August 2012
Gear interested

Tank your for your answer !

I already bought it some time ago and I'm very satisfied with it. It is cleary an update from my old fast track ultra. So far, I've used my VSL for 1 full project (a recording of one full album of a death metal band, about 9 titles, with a drum (8track), bass (3 track), 1 guitar (3 track) and vocal+ backings)) and I'm curently recording a demo for another band : no problem with the VSL so far ! Routing is very easy (nothing complex in my project tought : VSL working with reaper and a direct monitoring output to an headphone preamp).

Your review is very nice and I agree with it : "On balance I warmly commend the 1818vsl for anyone with a project studio looking to expand the input and monitoring of their set up"

Also I've tested the sync with a stereo SPDIF input and it worked perfectly.

Thumbs up for Presonus 1818 VSL !
Old 12th September 2012
Gear interested

S/PDIF compatability

This review has been perfect for me. I'm looking to upgrade from my fast track c600 and the 1818 is what I came across. I'm just wondering if I will be able to use the 1818 as my main interface and have my c600 connected through the S/PDIF input? Would this work? I know you said in your comment that the S/PDIF input worked well for you, just not sure if it will work by connecting an m-audio interface to a presonus. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 12th September 2012
Gear interested

As long as it's using the same protocol it should work regardless of the brand.

Btw the test i've done with SPDIF was with a m-audio fast track ultra 8r
Old 13th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear interested

Ah okay. By protocol do you mean USB 2.0? Or the ASIO card thing?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search