Login / Register

The Lynx Hilo Wish List/ Feature Request Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
Jezzta667
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

The Lynx Hilo Wish List/ Feature Request Thread

Hey guys,

Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for user requests for updates to the Lynx Hilo firmware.

Given the flexibility of the Hilos FPGA firmware, the Lynx guys have basically written us (the users) a blank cheque/check in terms of feature requests, so hopefully we'll see many of these implemented in time to come.

At the time of writing, the first update has just been released which has already added several features including: mono mode, return to meters timing,clipping indicators and the addition of scenes to the meters screen.
Details here: http://www.lynxstudio.com/nav/getFil...&t=productfile
This is a great start and hopefully the updates will continue to be so swiftly implemented.

I guess now would be a good time to suggest that as the features requested here are implemented by Lynx that we edit our posts to include *Solved*... hmmm interesting to see how successful that will be...

So lets kick things off...

HILO FEATURE REQUESTS:

Namable scenes.

Dim button.

Line ins able to be routed separately.

Ability to route through USB channels in a mono mode as opposed to paired stereo.

Customizable screensaver (upload pictures that will display on the unit i.e studio logo)

Last edited by Jezzta667; 6th April 2012 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: I like to edit stuff
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear addict

16 channels.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear nut

Phil Moon here from Lynx.

Now that's what I call Proactive!

Several of these are on our own wish list, which is already quite extensive. We appreciate the ideas. I think at least a few of these will be in the next FW revision. No date is set for that at this point.

As to 16 channels? Already done - Aurora! You might have heard of it.

In developing Hilo, we were very careful to make it as complementary as possible to Aurora - to not try to duplicate what Aurora does well and to offer features and capabilities that Aurora does not. A studio with the combination of Hilo and Aurora is a powerful combination.

Obviously we cannot give you a promise that we'll do any particular feature addition, but we're walking down the same path. So keep the ideas coming and don't be afraid to think a little outside of the box. Hilo is one of the rare products that can be truly collaborative with our end users.

And by the way, virtually every early adopter that I have heard from has commented on the excellent audio quality - many saying it's the best they have ever heard.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear interested

If you guys can build a DAW within the hilo plus Angry Bird I'll be happy!!

All jokes aside, as a Lynx Two C owner I'm seriously considering the upgrade to Hilo.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
Customizable screensaver (upload pictures that will display on the unit i.e studio logo)
I was kinda curious about a rear view camera....{jk} You do gotta watch your back!!!

thumps way up to Lynx on their HILO!!

Outstanding Product!

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
Jezzta667
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012

Settings that, when implemented, affect all scenes without having to adjust and save for every scene. I.e 'show recall scene'.
Jezzta667
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012

Optional meter screen buttons (i.e recall scene, sample rate etc) to be displayed on the 'All I/O' meter screen. This is my favourite meter screen but I won't be using it if it doesn't have the functionality of the other two.
Jezzta667
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012

Just tried the mono function on a commercial CD and instantly got terrible clipping. I'm no expert and I'm a bit rusty on these things but it seems to me that the mono button should automatically drop either the digital input of the input channel or the digital outputs of all the output channels by 6db to compensate for the combined signal.

Perhaps there needs to be separate functions for 'mono for a mono source', i.e play line In 1 through both speakers and 'mono for a stereo source' i.e summing a song to mono for mixing purposes.
Jezzta667
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012

An area, at least in the Meters Page and the Output Mix Routing Page (preferably on as many pages as possible), that displays which scene is currently selected.
Jezzta667
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012

Watched a movie on my system today. It sounded fantastic but the Hilo glaring away on the desk was a bit distracting in a home theatre environment so that's why I'm suggesting a...

Screen blank function
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Watched a movie on my system today. It sounded fantastic but the Hilo glaring away on the desk was a bit distracting in a home theatre environment so that's why I'm suggesting a...

Screen blank function
This one is in the wish list already - almost made the latest update. Keep in mind you already have a Screen Dim function that can take it down a lot in the meantime.

Glad to hear that it sounded fantastic.

Phil Moon
Lynx
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Just tried the mono function on a commercial CD and instantly got terrible clipping. I'm no expert and I'm a bit rusty on these things but it seems to me that the mono button should automatically drop either the digital input of the input channel or the digital outputs of all the output channels by 6db to compensate for the combined signal.

Perhaps there needs to be separate functions for 'mono for a mono source', i.e play line In 1 through both speakers and 'mono for a stereo source' i.e summing a song to mono for mixing purposes.
We'll try to recreate this in-house to see what might be going on. Please send us an email to support@lynxstudio.com with the details. Keep in mind you can adjust the output level of the mono signal and the incoming digital signal for the headphone and monitor out, as well as analog output.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
Lynx
Jezzta667
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoon View Post
We'll try to recreate this in-house to see what might be going on. Please send us an email to support@lynxstudio.com with the details. Keep in mind you can adjust the output level of the mono signal and the incoming digital signal for the headphone and monitor out, as well as analog output.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
Lynx
There aren't any details, really. Just play a commercial CD (one that constantly hits zero, i.e. all of them) and then whack it into mono and hear the clipping.

Sure I could drop the input signal level by 6db and it's fine. Not exactly a snappy thing to do though when all you want to do is put a track in mono for a second just to check a mix or something, especially when you have to reverse that process also.

I could also set up a separate scene where the input is in mono and dropped by 6db but with only 6 scenes to play with, they're too precious to waste.

At the moment, this is something my crappy old digi 002 has over the Hilo. A simple mono button that turns a stereo signal into a (dual?) mono signal whilst compensating for the increase in level due to the summed signal.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

With the help of mic preamps, connect Hilo to both iPads and usb flash drives and record into them, it would be really useful.

I don´t know if this is technically possible, but that´s my wish.
Jezzta667
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012

If either the monitor output or the headphone output is turned Off, their volumes should not be available via the rotary control on all other pages other than Mix Routing.

I have a scene set up for listening to music through the headphones where the monitor out is switched off, yet sometimes when I go to change the volume, it changes the monitor volume which is absolutely pointless as it's switched off.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear maniac

option to enable / disable:
M/S encoding on outputs
M/S decoding on inputs
Jezzta667
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012

Be able to customize which outputs are available by the volume knob in pages outside of mix routing.

For example, currently you can switch between Monitor Out and Phones but this means that you cannot easily use the Line Outs (which have dual DAC's and hence are in theory superior to the monitor outs) for monitoring.

EDIT: HAVE SINCE LEARNED THAT THE LINE OUTS HAVE NO ANALOGUE VOLUME CONTROL IN THE CIRCUIT IN ORDER TO PRESERVE AUDIO CLARITY AND HENCE, ITS VOLUME WOULD HAVE TO BE AFFECTED DIGITALLY WHICH WOULD DEGRADE THE SIGNAL

Last edited by Jezzta667; 2nd May 2012 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Request invalid
Jezzta667
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012

To use the Hilo as a surround controller, there would have to be a way to group the monitor outs with the line outs so there is one easy volume adjustment for both simultaneously.

Following on from my post before this one, perhaps the options for which outputs are available for the default volume control via the knob can be selected from the following:

PHONES
MONITOR OUT
LINE OUT
MONITOR OUT + PHONES OUT

This would also enable scenes that are purely for headphone monitoring or purely for speaker monitoring be able to remove the options that are not turned on for that particular scene.

Last edited by Jezzta667; 2nd May 2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: New knowledge
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear Head

nice goin', jezz (and everybody). honorary vote4 jezz 2 the non-existent chief volunteer position at lynx
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
There aren't any details, really. Just play a commercial CD (one that constantly hits zero, i.e. all of them) and then whack it into mono and hear the clipping.

Sure I could drop the input signal level by 6db and it's fine. Not exactly a snappy thing to do though when all you want to do is put a track in mono for a second just to check a mix or something, especially when you have to reverse that process also.

I could also set up a separate scene where the input is in mono and dropped by 6db but with only 6 scenes to play with, they're too precious to waste.

At the moment, this is something my crappy old digi 002 has over the Hilo. A simple mono button that turns a stereo signal into a (dual?) mono signal whilst compensating for the increase in level due to the summed signal.
Sorry for the delay - in Mexico City for a trade show.

Here's the rational. Since we do not know how someone may choose to use the Mono command, we do not impose a level compensation to it. You have the tools for that.

In your application, you're bringing in the L and R channels, combining these into one mono signal, which of course raises the level. As you have seen, you simply lower the level in the mixer. And as the mixer shows the amount you are lowering it in 0.5 dB increments, you can exactly attenuate it by 3dB or 6dB or whatever you want.

In our discussions here, we felt that the most likely use of the MONO feature was when bringing in one channel of a mic pre or an instrument for voice over, overdubbing etc. So instead of hearing this one channel naked in either the left or right ear, you can put it in the center for a more pleasant listening experience. Then of course you can choose to set it however you like for other outputs. In this application it would not be preferable for the signal to automatically be attenuated 3 or 6 dB.

Make sense?

When you have a product like Hilo that offers such a huge number of routing and setting options, you must be very careful in trying to quess what the automatic default should be. Whenever possible, we leave that to you.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
Lynx
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
If either the monitor output or the headphone output is turned Off, their volumes should not be available via the rotary control on all other pages other than Mix Routing.

I have a scene set up for listening to music through the headphones where the monitor out is switched off, yet sometimes when I go to change the volume, it changes the monitor volume which is absolutely pointless as it's switched off.
Already partially done in FW 4. Hilo now senses whether or not you have headphones plugged in. If you do, the rotary knob toggles between HP and Monitor volume. If headphones are not plugged in, the rotary knob is for Monitor volume only and pushing the knob in will have no effect.

Phil Moon
Lynx
Jezzta667
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012

Quote:
Sorry for the delay - in Mexico City for a trade show.

Here's the rational. Since we do not know how someone may choose to use the Mono command, we do not impose a level compensation to it. You have the tools for that.

In your application, you're bringing in the L and R channels, combining these into one mono signal, which of course raises the level. As you have seen, you simply lower the level in the mixer. And as the mixer shows the amount you are lowering it in 0.5 dB increments, you can exactly attenuate it by 3dB or 6dB or whatever you want.

In our discussions here, we felt that the most likely use of the MONO feature was when bringing in one channel of a mic pre or an instrument for voice over, overdubbing etc. So instead of hearing this one channel naked in either the left or right ear, you can put it in the center for a more pleasant listening experience. Then of course you can choose to set it however you like for other outputs. In this application it would not be preferable for the signal to automatically be attenuated 3 or 6 dB.

Make sense?

When you have a product like Hilo that offers such a huge number of routing and setting options, you must be very careful in trying to quess what the automatic default should be. Whenever possible, we leave that to you.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
Lynx
Yes that makes sense but I think, in my humble opinion, that you have chosen the wrong way to approach the mono function. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I would say that in the vast majority of applications, particularly with voiceover recordings etc, that the signal would be recorded into a DAW, panned to centre (by default) and THEN sent back to the Hilo for monitoring. The only time that I can think of that a signal would be monitored directly from the Hilo would be in systems that suffer from unacceptable latency (how many places would use a lack-lustre computer with a quality interface such as the Hilo?).

I, for instance, have never had the problem with the mono signal coming out only one side because I record into a DAW and monitor back through the Hilo as I mentioned. If Lynx believe that this is going to be the primary application for the mono function, then I challenge you to tell me in which real world instances this would be the case. I am aware that I am not aware of all the situations for which you have considered this. One that I can think of would be location recording, but I'd say that the direct monitoring would most likely be done through the portable mixer, pre-Hilo.

On the other hand, I'd say Hilo is more squarely marketed at the pro audio market, i.e mixing, mastering, editing etc which, I would think, are all monitoring through a DAW (which pans any mono signals to centre anyway).

It is in this context that a level attenuated mono function would be most useful. As I said, this is something that the 002 has over the Hilo. In music mixing, being able to pop a track in and out of mono is VERY important as it is a great way of checking a mix for general quality, mono compatability and phase. Getting a track to sound good in mono is an important target when mixing (ask any mixing engineer).

So sure, I can see your point regarding the mono function sending mono signals to both speakers (when monitoring straight out of the Hilo). But I do strongly believe that this is the vast MINORITY in terms of the usefulness of a mono function for this unit.

I'm not saying remove the mono function as is. Keep it. It does have a use. But there should be a separate mono function that is meant for what I (and countless other engineers) use it for, i.e one that sums and attenuates a stereo signal.

If there were enough scenes available I could set up a mono version of each scene I am using. This however doubles the amount of scenes I need and greatly increases the difficulty in achieving something that is possible on a 002 (a piece of crap) with the press of a button.

Thanks for your taking the time to listen and respond.

Last edited by Jezzta667; 2nd May 2012 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Addition
Jezzta667
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012

Quote:
Already partially done in FW 4. Hilo now senses whether or not you have headphones plugged in. If you do, the rotary knob toggles between HP and Monitor volume. If headphones are not plugged in, the rotary knob is for Monitor volume only and pushing the knob in will have no effect.

Phil Moon
Lynx
That is great but you can see how it only address half the problem. If you're using a scene that only has the headphone output active, you still have the monitor out volume there getting in the way. I think that if an output is not enabled, it shouldn't be available in the default volume choices. But then, I'm not a programmer and don't know how much effort it is to enact this, but if Lynx want the Hilo to truly cover all the bases and end up with a truly ingenious piece of firmware, I think this would be a valid inclusion.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

RMS as well as peak metering (mastering style) not just VU's
16th May 2012
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Head

trade-your-usb2.0card-in-4-free-thunderbolt-card program 4 early adopters who buy the bleeding edge hilo w/a tired, on-the-way-out protocol? the first macbook pro w/thunderbolt dropped, what: feb '11?
nms
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Indeed there should absolutely be a mono switch that doesn't change the volume audibly. My Lavry DA10 works like this and it's seamless to check for phase issues in mono.

This should be an ENTIRELY different button than one specifying whether an input should be treated as a stereo pair or single mono channel.

Seamless mono checking is crucial for a mastering or production device and helps you to make the right decisions where phase is concerned.
nms
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Woah.. Wait a second. Does this thing not have the ability to run the channels in a dual mono configuration as opposed to a summed mono??

Clearly this can't be. Would I not be able to for instance run two mono instruments out through processing simultaneously with separate control of both of them?

On a piece like this it should absolutely be standard having the ability to run the channels as a stereo pair or dual mono.... along with a separate mono switch that functions as an attenuated summed mono for checking mono compatibility.

Can Phil or someone comment on this? These are bread & butter features for studio use.
Jezzta667
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Woah.. Wait a second. Does this thing not have the ability to run the channels in a dual mono configuration as opposed to a summed mono??

Clearly this can't be. Would I not be able to for instance run two mono instruments out through processing simultaneously with separate control of both of them?

On a piece like this it should absolutely be standard having the ability to run the channels as a stereo pair or dual mono.... along with a separate mono switch that functions as an attenuated summed mono for checking mono compatibility.

Can Phil or someone comment on this? These are bread & butter features for studio use.
Unfortunately, everything at the moment is set up as stereo pairs basically across the board. You couldn't, as you say, run two mono signals out through the line outs with a separate control for each. The volume control would affect both channels equally. See my above post about the routing to get an idea of how it is set up. It would be great if all channels were more independent and not tied together into stereo pairs.
Jezzta667
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012

Quote:
Unfortunately, everything at the moment is set up as stereo pairs basically across the board. You couldn't, as you say, run two mono signals out through the line outs with a separate control for each. The volume control would affect both channels equally. See my above post about the routing to get an idea of how it is set up. It would be great if all channels were more independent and not tied together into stereo pairs.
Sorry, I was thinking of a post from the other thread (from which I'm now banned... Nice work, moderator)

This is the post of which I speak:

When recording in mono, I was stumped briefly on the fact that I was only seeing input into Reaper if the track was set on a USB channel that was odd but not the even ones. Eventually figured out that line in 1 is obviously hard wired to route through odd numbered USB outs and line in 2 is sent through even numbered channels. This little adventure led me to realise that the line ins are not able to be separately routed, they are simply there as 'Line in' not 'Line in 1' and 'Line in 2'. This means that they are forever married together to go out adjoining USB outs i.e USB Record 1&2 or 3&4.

I find it slightly strange that they are not able to be routed separately given the flexibility of the Hilo. For an example, lets say I have a multitrack music recording session open with the guitar track set to record through USB 1 and say a keyboard through USB 5. As it stands, I could not route Line in 1 to USB 1 and the keyboard to USB 5 as you can only enable USB 1&2 and USB 5&6 for the 'Line in' as a whole. In this state, the keyboard (line in 2) MUST be recorded from an even numbered USB track.

I hope I have explained this clearly, and perhaps being able to separate them like this is more trouble than it's worth, but it does seem strange that they are paired like that.

Phil, is this an issue that is under consideration? Any chance of the line ins being separated in future?

At the moment:
INPUT 1 & INPUT 2> LINE IN> USB 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12, 13&14, 15&16

Better:
INPUT 1> LINE IN 1> USB 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
INPUT 2> LINE IN 2> USB 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16

WAY more flexible.
nms
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Ummmm.. How has this been overlooked? This is the most basic of functionality. When you're tracking or routing stuff out for processing during mixing it's usually mono instruments! Hard to fathom that this thing doesn't have something that every interface I've owned has!

Phil... my man.. Can you guys do this via update or is this a no go?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search