Anyone know what mic Robert Plant used in the studio?
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone know what mic Robert Plant used in the studio?

Google is not helping me :(

(w/ Led Zeppelin)

While we're at it, any details about recording different songs/albums?

Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

All the studio pics I've seen (at least Zep III and after) were with a U67.
Old 31st March 2012
Gear nut

I think there was an interview in Tape Op after the album with Alison Krauss came out with T-Bone Burnett and possibly the recording engineer on that album. Might be able to search for that one. I think they said he used his own U47 on that one. Alison sang into a BLUE Cactus, I think.
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Woodring View Post
I think there was an interview in Tape Op after the album with Alison Krauss came out with T-Bone Burnett and possibly the recording engineer on that album. Might be able to search for that one. I think they said he used his own U47 on that one. Alison sang into a BLUE Cactus, I think.
That's correct for Raising Sand. Engineer was Mike Piersante, it was one of T Bone's U47's for Robert and a Blue Cactus for Alison. He also put up an RCA 44BX under each mic for options, but the strong magnets of the RCA's created a huge hum being in close proximity to the condensers, so they scrapped that. I believe they went into a 1073 or 1081 and then LA2A.
Old 31st March 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

AFAIK he's also a BIG fan of the 'umble SM57/58, not sure how many times he's used them on his studio vocals though. FWIW Paul Rodgers used a 57 on his Bad Co. hits.

Chris
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

From what I've seen and read, it's been a u67.
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear
A band aid I once knew claimed that Robert just screamed directly into the end of the mic cable's XLR connector.
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Eddie Kramer was very happy with Neumann tube mics like the U47 and U67. And on occasion ( like with Jimi Hendrix) he used a Beyer M 160. He also loved the SM58 -mostly for live stuff (like Woodstock) - but I'm sure he used it for some things with Led Zep. On some stuff Robert Plant used his harmonica bullet mic for vocals.

BTW Kramer was Led Zeps engineer for a while in the early days. You got to know where to look....
Old 1st April 2012
Gear Head

I believe I've read that Walking into Clarksdale was a Josephson (don't recall the model) and that the recent Band of Joy one was a sub - $1000 Avantone.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

He used an Avantone BV1 on the last album. The article was in SOS Magazine where they document all the mics and hardware.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search