GTR preamp pedal like womanizer?
New Reply
Subscribe
idmmer417
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear nut

GTR preamp pedal like womanizer?

So I was checking out strymon pedals and really enjoyed the guitar tone coming out from their youtube video.

Then I found out that he was just using their Damage Control "Demonizer" pedal directly into audio interface.

I really love that clean guitar tone but unfortunately they discontinued their Damage Control line. Now I'm wondering if there is any other preamp pedal that sounds like a "Womanizer" or "Demonizer"
I'm not really looking for hard metal sound but rather warm clean amp tone that I can simply record directly to audio interface.

Where can I find pedals like this?

Thanks in advance
idmmer417
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear nut

anyone ? com'on there got be something out there.

I already checked Sansamp and their character series bud didn't sound warm enough to my taste.

Not really into POD or other digital device either.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

I doubt you gave the Sansamp a fair try. You really need to live with them for a while to appreciate what they can do. I have all the original ones, and for a long time I thought the Blonde/Fender one was a lemon, but it turns out to be one of my favorites. If you can't get warm tones out of that then you need a better guitar. The Character knob is the key to those pedals - you can get a huge range of tone, and being analog there
is a fair amount of interaction between all the controls.

I have a few PODs and love the HD ones, but for warmth I think Sansamp have the edge. I don't plan to use them live, unless I could get a programmable one, because the slightest change in settings makes huge changes.

I have a bunch of pedals, including Analog Man stuff, but they don't really do the amp substitution thing.

A serious contender would be the Radial Tonebone pedals. i have the Hot British and the Classic, which is basically the Marshal and Fender ones. They have a real tube and run on high voltage internally, and sound very good and are low noise. However - I find they don,t do cleans thqt well - I find the Sansamp rules in the clean to breaking up territory that so many pedals struggle with, even the TS9 and 808.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

BTW - i,ve not heard the Womanizer, but from the name i'm guessing it is doing a "woman tone" thing ala Clapton. The way to get that is use neck pup and use your guitar tone control to roll off the highs before you hit your amp with plenty of gain. You may need a clean boost. I think Sansamp made/make a pedal specifically for that, but you can usually create it yourself so I haven't seen the need.

It's hard to know what tones you like, your definition of clean and warm might be very different from mine. You might like a tube DI box, and use an amp sim to get a tonestack eq ... there are many ways to get good warm clean tones. Real amps are worth considing too ... a little Epiphone Valve Junior is pretty cool and well behaved at low volume ...
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Maybe the Hughes & Kettner tubeman would be something for you. I like the Sanseamps, but if you want tubes, then something like this might interrest you.
idmmer417
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear nut

I see thanks for the good info. i should study more on that sansamp series.
As far as womanizer or demonizer tone, here is the youtube link from their strymon website.

http://youtu.be/YMKaew8clus

I got fender strat also so find something that i can direct rather than miking. I heard great thing about epiphone JR but doesn't seem to have line out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search