Best Plug-In Compressor??
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Best Plug-In Compressor??

I have the Bomb Factory plug-ins but don't find them to be quite up to my standards. Those of you that have a compressor plug-in that you can't live without, let me know!! Of course since I don't love any of the compressor plug-ins that I own I just go outboard and use my Drawmer Six-Pack!! But I would love to get a few great plug-in comps.

Thanks!!

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

best to do a search on this one dude 'cos it's been hammered to death here recently.

But....I'll suggest a few usual suspects:

UAD Ultra Pak for a bunch of good stuff
Sonalksis 317
Waves SSL

Wait for SSL Duende Hard/Soft comps eq's

Wait for Focusrite Liquid Mix for a whole freakin bunch of, (hopefully cool) compressors - forget wheteher they 'sound like the originals', the 40 or so emulations should have you spoilt for 'good' compressor choice.

Good Luck.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the advice...
I'll do a search.

One question: do I need a PCI slot for the Universal Audio plug-ins?... I don't have one on my iMac G5..

I will check out the SSL plug-in soon.

Cheers,
J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

PSP VW rocks, IMHO.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
Thanks for the advice...
I'll do a search.

One question: do I need a PCI slot for the Universal Audio plug-ins?... I don't have one on my iMac G5.

Yes you do .....I have been very interested to buy UAD but I would much rather wait for the Liquid Mix now that i'ts about to come out because it's firewire and I can use it on my G5 Dual desktop or on the new macintel Powerbooks when they start to appear, same with SSL Duende. So I'm kinda glad I did not just buy a UAD.

By the way, check out this video made by the guy at Dancetech on the Liquid Mix - he went to Focusrites HQ and auditioned the unit - looks very funky. http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/index.cfm
Old 20th May 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
I have the Bomb Factory plug-ins but don't find them to be quite up to my standards. Those of you that have a compressor plug-in that you can't live without, let me know!! Of course since I don't love any of the compressor plug-ins that I own I just go outboard and use my Drawmer Six-Pack!! But I would love to get a few great plug-in comps.

Thanks!!

J.D.
Try Sony Oxford Dynamics; to me that's the most useful Plugin comp I've got....
Old 20th May 2006
Gear maniac

Samplitudee/Sequoia´s am track rulez!!!
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

The new UAD-1 PCIe (Express) card has just been released...

www.uaudio.com
Old 20th May 2006
Gear maniac

Give also a try to Voxengo Marquis Compressor!
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw
Wait for Focusrite Liquid Mix for a whole freakin bunch of, (hopefully cool) compressors - forget wheteher they 'sound like the originals', the 40 or so emulations should have you spoilt for 'good' compressor choice.
Wow I just checked this out and it looks awesome! Wonder what the price will be..... I found it on Sweetwater and it said MSRP $999, so it seems it might be quite inexpensive and a great value! That is, of course, if the compressors are up to par. But I bet they will be cool. I don't really care if they sound like the originals, I just want to have many choices and this product offers it!

Thanks NoiseFlaw!

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear nut

blockfish
Old 20th May 2006
Gear maniac

Blockfish is bloody nice for free!
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour
The new UAD-1 PCIe (Express) card has just been released...

www.uaudio.com
Does anyone know if it's faster/more powerful then the old one? Hard to find any info on their site.

/Cojo
Old 20th May 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky b
Blockfish is bloody nice for free!

Yep it is !

W***s ren comp is also worth a look. And make sure you get the free ssl talkback compresser. It won't work for everyone thats for sure but it worth having
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have to say compressorbank
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Compressor Bank by a long, long way.

JR
Old 20th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
PSP VW rocks, IMHO.
It doth.

The 1176LN / LA-2A are nice on the UAD-1.

Those would be 3 that make it on every mix of mine.

War
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd say the Empirical Labs Distressor

oh wait. that isn't a plug-in.

sorry

Old 20th May 2006
Gear nut

compressor bank on C3 setting and blockfish.

Every now and again the focusrite red comp too.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

psp VW
voxengo marquis
uad, la2a,1176ln (not se version), fairchild
kjaerhus unipressor
blockfish
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
PSP VW rocks, IMHO.

Sorry, I am ignorant to what this abbreviation stands for.... I got the IMHO part of course, just not the PSP VW part!

Thanks,

J.D.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear maniac

I don't have a whole lot of plug-in compressors, but my new fav is the compressor in the Waves SSL Channel. The Waves SSL 2-bus comp isn't too shabby either.

#2 would be the BombFactory 1176. Or whatever it is they call it these days.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

The Chandler EMI is stunning.

Fairchild 670 is my second fave, used to be my first & go-to.

Jim
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

PSP VW = Professional Sound Projects Vintage Warmer.

This was the first plug I ever bought, and has proven to be the most used. It takes a while to fully figure it out, but it's a very powerful tool.

www.pspaudioware.com
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb66
PSP VW = Professional Sound Projects Vintage Warmer.

This was the first plug I ever bought, and has proven to be the most used. It takes a while to fully figure it out, but it's a very powerful tool.

www.pspaudioware.com

Thanks for the info; I just downloaded the eval version and from what I have heard over the last 15 minutes this is a good product (I used it on a previous PT session's vocal tracks)...

I tried to download the Sonalksis SV-315 Compressor; I went through the installation process, it said it was installed, but now I cannot find it in Pro Tools!! Neither the inserts or the AudioSuite menu list the Sonalksis plug-in. What am I doing wrong here? I may have to post this in computer music and see if someone has had a similar problem or if I am just an idiot (probably the latter).

Cheers,
J.D.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy
I still keep going back to Sonic Timeworks CompressorX... older plug but it really hasn't failed me yet... CompressorBank totally smokes too..!!

http://www.sonictimeworks.com/p_compx.php
This looks cool unfortunately I am on a Mac and when I try to install it tries to bring up OS 9 which isn't even on my system. So I read the documentation and it said, yep, Windoze only. Too bad for me. Good to know about though; I'll tell my PC-user friends about it and then I can hear it in action!

Cheers,

J.D.
Old 22nd May 2006

The URS 1970 & 1980, Waves Ren Compressor, Ren Vox, and the Waves SSL... Also, the Sonalksis compressor is pretty good!
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Sonalksis EQ too??

So it's been established that the Sonalksis Compressor is very good; how about the Sonalksis EQ?? The bundle of the compressor/eq is $400 USD; the comp and eq alone are $240 USD each. So I would save $40 if I bought the bundle vs the individual products.

But is the EQ on par with other "great" EQ plug-ins or is it just mediocre, IYHO??

Thanks,

J.D.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
But is the EQ on par with other "great" EQ plug-ins
Yes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search