NS-10 with Mackie Powered Mixer
New Reply
Subscribe
nosleepPDX
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

NS-10 with Mackie Powered Mixer

I'm getting a pair of NS-10's Saturday, my power amp isn't going to be here until the following Saturday. I don't wanna wait for that power amp to try them out (doh!).

I was curious about the sketchy level, 1-10, if I do the following: use the preamp ins then power amp out of this old Mackie 808S powered mixer I have to power the NS-10s. 300 or 600 watts / channel (I would run it on 3 / per). It only has 1/4" outs so I would rig up a 1/4" to bare wire converter.

As I'm typing this feels like the dumbest thing I've said. We have some ADAMs in the studio so I don't need to do this. I just wanna.
nosleepPDX
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear maniac

I guess what I mean is, I know it's a powered mixer intended for live usage, I've seen recommendations for ns-10 power amps to be 500w per channel, so if I run this low it's not going to blow the speakers correct?
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear addict

Impedance is just as important as wattage! The 300w vs 600w is likely to be between different impedances (4ohm and 8ohm). Check the manual/back of the mixer.

And don't under-power them. If you do this and then start to push the amp you'll fry your tweeters in no time. Better to overpower them if anything to ensure they get a nice clean signal at all times.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear addict

I think it would work just fine. I'm pretty sure when you go "preamp in" on the Mackie it bypasses the graphic EQs, which is good. Hopefully the master volume still works so start with that turned ALL the way down. Play some music through it and SLOWLY turn it up. Remember, NS-10s aren't supposed to be screaming loud. NS-10s can handle 60W (program) and I think 100W (peak) at 8 ohms. Rule of thumb is you should use a power amp that is 150% to 200% HIGHER than what the speaker is designed to handle before distorting. That way you never push the amp into clipping territory and send square waves to the speakers, which can be very damaging. Mackie claims that 808S puts out 300W per channel at 8 ohms. It might be less than that because they tend to exaggerate. That's more than you need for the NS-10s but if you keep the master down low it should be fine.

Good luck,
Rappy
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Impedance is just as important as wattage! The 300w vs 600w is likely to be between different impedances (4ohm and 8ohm). Check the manual/back of the mixer.

And don't under-power them. If you do this and then start to push the amp you'll fry your tweeters in no time. Better to overpower them if anything to ensure they get a nice clean signal at all times.
The 3 / 600 watt thing is because there are two 600 watt power amps (so you can run one for mains and one for monitors in a live situation). So you can run one at 3 per channel. There won't be a 300 watt difference between 4 and 8 ohms.. The power amp isn't going to output 300 more watts, that's a lot. But thanks!
nosleepPDX
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
I think it would work just fine. I'm pretty sure when you go "preamp in" on the Mackie it bypasses the graphic EQs, which is good. Hopefully the master volume still works so start with that turned ALL the way down. Play some music through it and SLOWLY turn it up. Remember, NS-10s aren't supposed to be screaming loud. NS-10s can handle 60W (program) and I think 100W (peak) at 8 ohms. Rule of thumb is you should use a power amp that is 150% to 200% HIGHER than what the speaker is designed to handle before distorting. That way you never push the amp into clipping territory and send square waves to the speakers, which can be very damaging. Mackie claims that 808S puts out 300W per channel at 8 ohms. It might be less than that because they tend to exaggerate. That's more than you need for the NS-10s but if you keep the master down low it should be fine.

Good luck,
Rappy
sweet! This was my instinct but I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Cheers!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search