aphex 800 studio clock
New Reply
Subscribe
mutetourettes
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear maniac

aphex 800 studio clock

not sure which forum i should ask this in - the aphex model 800 studio clock is a smpte tape sync thing but it has a load of 'other' features too, tempo maps, beat detection, maybe more - and i have one, but no manual. does anyone have, or know where i can find a manual? aphex were no help! (and i missed a manual on ebay the other week)

It also has mac software (for system 6.3 or higher, "but NOT tested on system 7"... lol) so time to break out the old mac LCII .... I do have the manual for the software, just not the machine itself.
mutetourettes
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear maniac

THANKYOU VERRRRY MUCH to my generous benefactor! you know who you are...
Gearslutz is a fantastic community

and the manual is pretty funny!

and wow - this is a seriously ambitious and interesting unit! loads of beat detection stuff with different algorithms etc
mutetourettes
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Aphex 800 studio clock

ok - well here it is hopefully for posterity and the edification of future seekers...
I managed to shrink it down to 3.45mb... it's 53 scanned pages.
Attached Files
20th February 2014
Old 20th February 2014
Gear addict

Just got one of these for $10 on a whim. Is anyone still using these, and for what purposes?
"The mistake made today is like when you go into a club and hear the piano with echo while the guitar right next to it is dry. How does that sound out in the audience? It sounds weird. If you do it the right way you put a little bit on everything, and if it's noticeable it's too much. That's why my advice is use it, don't abuse it. With so much to play with it's easy to go too far. Simplicity is the answer." - Les Paul
mutetourettes
20th February 2014
Old 20th February 2014
Gear maniac

i must confess i've not been using mine much - I've got the software and an old mac to use it with, had grand plans for some old-skool tempo-mapping... but, well, life...
9th March 2014
Old 9th March 2014
Gear addict

Can I use this to sync hardware midi gear? I'm not seeing how to do this in the manual. Did I waste $10?
mutetourettes
9th March 2014
Old 9th March 2014
Gear maniac

you can sync hardware midi gear to tape, yeah. have a look at goal G1a in the manual - the aphex should be able to put a timecode on the tape (F9 in the manual) and then i'd look at running it as 'SMU', function F20 default BPM for getting it to play Midi clock or song position pointer back over midi (to your midi hardware) when it's reading the tape code.. F31 display bar number or time
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
Gear addict

Okay, tape could be an option I guess. Not ideal, but...

Tell me, can the Aphex read timecode from the computer and then run the hardware synths/drums/fx in sync to the DAW? That's what I'm really after i think.
mutetourettes
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
Gear maniac

oh, sorry i ASSumed tape because that'sa what synchronisers were mostly for... it sounds like you just need a midi out on your computer, no? then your daw can send midi timing to the synths etc if they've got their own sequencers built in or just send note data if they haven't. I suspect this aphex unit might not do that job, unless you've got a veeery old mac..

This kind of synchroniser lays a continuous squealing timing signal (as audio) onto a tape, then when you play the tape it can read that signal back so you know where you are on the tape. it can also do tricky things like turn that position info into midi bars/beats info too, and listen to drum hits and guess the tempo etc.. I suspect you don't need any of this. Most of that is handled better in a daw. these machines were before daws existed, tape is notoriously wibbly when it comes to speed, so a synchroniser helps keep midid gear etc in time with whatever mad stuff the tape decides to do in any given moment so the overall music sounds vaguely ok...
17th April 2014
Old 17th April 2014
Gear addict

You're right, I'm totally over-thinking this. I just need a good MIDI interface, or maybe dust off the old USB Midisport, if tat thing still works on new computers.

Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search