Gary Glitter Drum sound !
nonomagicstar
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear interested

Gary Glitter Drum sound !

Hi
Could someone tell me if he recognizes some trick used by the Gary Glitter producer to make drums sound so fat ?
like the kick drum here:

or the snare/clap there:
nonomagicstar
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear interested

up (sorry for the double bost my browser buggued)
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Banned

18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Didn't the Glitter Band have 2 drummers? That gets you instant phat.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Didn't the Glitter Band have 2 drummers? That gets you instant phat.
The Glitterband certainly did use 2 drummers. One of them is a superb player too - Peter Phipps - and the man is a living metronome. The name of the other one escapes me....
There have been a few bands using 2 drummers - King Crimson did it live in 1994 as well. Who else? Oh yes - Adam & The Ants did, and likewise the ghastly Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

Anyone for any more?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Parallel compression is perfect tool for making drums bigger. It's done by bussing the drums to a stereo aux and crushing it there, and mixing that in with the uncompressed signals. You might also venture into the realm of drum replacement with Drumagog or the convoluted 'audio to score' method in Logic. I end up replacing a lot of kick and snare from old beat up kits.

Also worth mentioning, I just downloaded a free trial of the Brainworx plugin "BX Boom" for kick drum enhancement. Seems to fatten it up pretty good, just added it to a current project that needed a "kick" in the pants, haha, I made a funny.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
The Glitterband certainly did use 2 drummers. One of them is a superb player too - Peter Phipps - and the man is a living metronome. The name of the other one escapes me....
There have been a few bands using 2 drummers - King Crimson did it live in 1994 as well. Who else? Oh yes - Adam & The Ants did, and likewise the ghastly Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

Anyone for any more?
Zappa used 2 drummers for a while, check out the Roxy & Elsewhere album with Chester Thompson and Ralph Humphrey.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear nut

The Pink Fairies have often used two drummers (Twink Alder, Russell Hunter). Hawkwind had a period of that as well in the late Lemmy and immediately post-Lemmy eras (Simon King, Alan Powell).

Nik Turner's Hawkwind offshoots such as Space Ritual have used dual drummers as well.

Pretty sure .38 Special did as well (not that I could ever tell). Various Doobie Brothers eras had two drummers.
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post

Anyone for any more?
Bow Wow Wow. I think they used the Ant's drummers though.
nonomagicstar
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear interested

hi thanks for your hints,
what about these layered clap/snare ?
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingataff View Post
Zappa used 2 drummers for a while, check out the Roxy & Elsewhere album with Chester Thompson and Ralph Humphrey.
Chester Thompson of course toured w/Genesis for ages and he and Phil often teamed up for dual drum segments during the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Malcolm McLaren stole all the Ants from Adam and that was the backing band for BWW basically. Pretty sure anyway
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

Bumpin' it.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had much success recording glam rock. Drums always sound extremely close-mic'ed, including the cymbals. There's some serious tape squish craziness on some of those tracks, e.g. "Do You Wanna Touch Me." I get the vocal slap sounds, bass is pretty straight forward. But the claps are reminiscent of the Eagles "Heartache Tonight," something I've never completely gotten. Slapback+Detailed EQ?

The guitars, on the other hand, are something otherworldly and not akin to anything else. There's a great, fuzzy edge to all of them that causes confusion when trying to discern between Sax and Electric.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Banned

Glitter was a bit before my time, but the "Glam Rock" I know uses similar production methods. Dry drums, slap reverbs, and thin weedy guitar lines.

23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Two drummers.
Drums tuned lower, damped to cut out overtones and too much ring and create more thud. Drummers playing medium volume, not full on with rimshots.
Recorded close miced in a dry room.
nonomagicstar
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear interested

interesting ! some other suggestions ?
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Sonic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonomagicstar View Post
up
Why do you keep bumping this? You might have got more replies if it was posted in the correct place to begin with.
Its not like Glitter used Cubase.
nonomagicstar
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear interested

what would be the correct place to post this topic ? glitter didnt use cubase but I do. and i doubt that people of this forum have the same kind of gear than glitter's studio. So i am trying to recreate his sound in cubase
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
Why do you keep bumping this?.
+1
nonomagicstar
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear interested

I will bump this topic until I got a helpful answer. Simple. But you dont have to reply if you are not interested in helping me. For the others this song also have the kind of drum dound that I am looking for:Blondie-Call Me - YouTube
nonomagicstar
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear interested

up
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
ValhallaDSP

The drums were overdubbed multiple times. No ADT, just real "old fashioned" double tracking. Same thing with the claps and slide guitars.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

A common way of getting this type of sound these days is stacking drum sounds in your sampler of choice or having two drummers play and doing some paraelle compression on a drum bus for them. Stacking/Layering is a great way to get the sound though.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
The drums were overdubbed multiple times. No ADT, just real "old fashioned" double tracking. Same thing with the claps and slide guitars.
I never realized you were from the pacific northwest. I am from Seattle do you mind sharing what part you are from? Just curious.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonomagicstar View Post
I will bump this topic until I got a helpful answer. Simple. But you dont have to reply if you are not interested in helping me. For the others this song also have the kind of drum dound that I am looking for:Blondie-Call Me - YouTube
Chrisso is a top drummer and gave a helpful answer

Two drummers.
Drums tuned lower, damped to cut out overtones and too much ring and create more thud. Drummers playing medium volume, not full on with rimshots.
Recorded close miced in a dry room.

oil
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
oil
Banned

sample the drums wouldent bother tho no point
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear nut

John Hudson was the sound engineer at Mayfair Studios where a lot of Gary Glitter's early hits and other artists' great records were made. For starters Glitters' early hits:

Gary Glitter - I Love You Love Me Love
Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back Again
Gary Glitter - I'm The Leader Of The Gang
Gary Glitter - I Did'nt Know I Loved You...
Gary Glitter - Rock & Roll Parts 1 &2
Glitter Band - Just For You

And lots and lots more at Mayfair Studios. Check out for a list here:
john hudson mayfair, john hudson presets, mayfair studios, music mixing, home recording studio, mix my track, protools, templates, audio, talking books, preset, pre-set mix set-up,rock bands, pop stars, audio experts, web mastering,sound for picture,

Also turns out he has Mix Presets bundles for sale for Protools 10 and also some other interesting stuff. Check here:
John Hudson's SOUNDBUSTER Mix Presets - JOHN HUDSON-MAYFAIR Store
Books - JOHN HUDSON-MAYFAIR Store
music mixing, mixing tracks, john hudson mixes

But yes, Mike Leander's (R.I.P) production was top notch, especially the drum & guitar sounds (quote from this thread, well said:"The guitars, on the other hand, are something otherworldly and not akin to anything else. There's a great, fuzzy edge to all of them that causes confusion when trying to discern between Sax and Electric." ... (80's Prince anyone?); So if there's anybody here who was there when these recordings were made, please chime in!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

Eddie Seago, a Friend of Mike Leander:

"...but otherwise everything you heard on the original Gary Glitter records was Mike.
And that sound that everybody tried to copy, that just happened by accident through a little funny old amp that happened to be lying in the studio, but nobody knew that. Because every record after that, people were desperately trying to copy the Gary Glitter drum sound - a distinctive sound on the guitar and on the drums. It was quite a revolutionary concept that people at the time tried to follow."

John Rossall:
"Harvey Ellison and myself were the only guys to play on Gary's records. And if Mike Leander could have played brass, we wouldn't have been on them either. And I can't be fairer than that. He did all the drums in a loop, then added bass, then added guitar bits, then him and Gary did some of the backing vocals, and me and Harvey came along, did the brass bits, did some handclaps with them and beefed up the backing vocals with them.
It was all very dramatic and top secret with Mike. We couldn't even get a rough copy of the mix. Although we knew what the song was, the band would get it to rehearse like two days before Top of the Pops, because there was all this espionage bit going on - people nicking ideas.
On them records there's two saxes, baritone sax and trombone. The trombone gave it like a hard edge, which linked with the guitar sound because the brass parts were mostly along with the guitar licks, and that mixed together. It used to be a very compressed sound."

Mike Leander:
"I was very influenced by Dr John and the whole Afro-rock sound. There was a lot of very good black voodoo rock coming out of New Orleans, and all this music was coming over just as I was trying to turn away from bubblegum and get involved in rhythm and drums.
I had my own technique of playing drums, which was very African-based - lots of tom toms - and the sound effects we got on the drums and various other instruments. So it was a combination of my drumming and John Hudson's wizardry on the knobs."
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

Experimenting in the studio one night Leander did one of those rare things: he synthesised a whole new pop sound from some unlikely sources. Every day he would be in the studio producing session after session. On this particular evening one of his charges David Essex, who he was producing at the time, phoned in sick and in the downtime Leander invented the Glitter band sound.

Rossall adds: "The whole Glitter sound started on a Mike Leander instrumental. He was working on a David Essex session and when David had rung in sick with a cold Mike started work on this instrumental. He was trying to do a Johnny Congas type of thing and it developed from there. He was also influenced by Osibisa’s rhythms. He then put this amazing droning guitar sound on it. He found an old guitar with a really bad action on it and put it through some really heavy fender tube amps till it was jumping off the floor and that was how that sound came about."

Rossall shakes his head with sadness at the way Leander has nearly been forgotten.

"Mike played all instruments apart from the brass which me and Gerry did. Mike used to get in the studio on his own with the engineer and play the drums for 20 minutes trying out different drum things and then say: 'Right, roll the tape.’ to the engineer and then record a section that he would then he would make a loop out of and copy it onto the 24 track. He would then go and overdub the bass, floor and small toms on one track; then the bass and the guitar. If he could have played brass then he would have done that as well."

Not content with applying looped rhythm tracks to teenage dance music (something you are more likely to associate with house music some twenty years later) Leander wrote these yob anthems and played all the instruments himself; quite some feat.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

And according to Joe Gore, the guitars:

"Later I bought a crappy plywood Baldwin Virginian for $100 — also standard scale, but with a long, straight string-pull — and used it on many albums and tours. When I played with PJ Harvey, it was dropped to the “Gary Glitter” tuning she loved at the time. It’s the tuning from Glitter’s “Rock and Roll Part 2?: AAAAAA. That’s standard stringing, but with each string raised or lowered to the nearest A. I’d heard that song for many years, never realizing that the iconic riff is simply barred across all six strings. It sounds wicked, but only if you don’t mind an extremely wobbly intonation experience. That lowered first and sixth strings flap like sails in a hurricane. A lot of times I just used it as a noisemaker."

Gary Glitter himself, January 1992:

"I've always used a mono guitar sound, which basically means the guitars are tuned to one note. This creates a kind of drone, and when we add the sax they gel into a strange, growling sound. I love that sound. I think it gives the music a haunting, moody feel."

So GARY GLITTER could have started out as a guitar man?

"That could have happened for the first single, but, as I said before, people do take notice of my guitar sound. Only the other night BRIAN MAY was asking how I got that sound, and I've had that happen with JEFF BECK, ERIC CLAPTON, and JIMMY PAGE. Jimmy in fact is a regular at my shows."
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Malcolm McLaren stole all the Ants from Adam and that was the backing band for BWW basically. Pretty sure anyway
Bow Wow Wow had a similar Burundi "Tribal" drum sound in some of their songs, as Adam And The Ants, and their drummer, Dave Barbarossa, was in the Ants, previous to the 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier' breakthrough.

Barbarossa was the only drummer in Bow Wow Wow.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search