How can I insert hardware gear when mixing ???
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

How can I insert hardware gear when mixing ???

Hi !

I'd like to use outboard gear when mixing ITB, but, is it possible with my set-up ? I think it's may be not with my US-122L Tascam interface…

It has :
2 XLR in for its preamps use
2 TRS in for lines in
2 RCA out for my active monitors
1 headphone out (muting monitors when plugged)

Let's say I want to insert an outboard comp, how can I manage ?
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hi. If your siundcard only has 2 outputs then you can't use a hardware insert as well as monitoring.

Sent from my XOOM 2 using Gearslutz App
Old 11th March 2012
You would also want to specify what program your using.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
Hi. If your soundcard only has 2 outputs then you can't use a hardware insert as well as monitoring.
I was afraid of that answer… So I thought right when saying that was impossible…

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
You would also want to specify what program your using.
Logic on an iMac, but this is not the physical part of my setup, it seems I need an interface providing more outputs…
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

you need dedicated line level out/in for each piece of hardware.
logic has an I/O plug to do this but your interface can't.

Motu Ultra lite is great for this. (6 line ins, 8 line outs plus 2 monitor outs)
not many budget interfaces have this many line level I/O's
Old 11th March 2012
Gear maniac

try printing your insert
C
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@theblue View Post
try printing your insert
C
THIS

use phones to monitor while you print.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Arf… sorry if you find me stupid, but, I'm french and sometimes don't understand very well everything…
What do you mean by "printing" my insert ???
And, if I use my headphone socket, I haven't any signal at the outs of the interface…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
you need dedicated line level out/in for each piece of hardware.
logic has an I/O plug to do this but your interface can't.

Motu Ultra lite is great for this. (6 line ins, 8 line outs plus 2 monitor outs)
not many budget interfaces have this many line level I/O's
I think you're right, unfortunately…
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't believe this interface has inserts. Ideally you need a better interface. But you could still record the RCA outputs back into your inputs via outboard hardware. You would need to find another way to monitor ... perhaps a split from the outboard hardware to a mixer or headphone amp. Not ideal.

As a cheap workaround - you could export files to another media play - e.g. CD player - and re-record these via your hardware.

Basically, you need more D/A outs ... in the meantime, I would just use the hardware for tracking and commit ... not a bad idea anyway, because you aren't applying unnecessary conversion stages ...
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

I recently just started sending tracks out of the box for processing. I just got a Distressor(compressor) and wanted to use it for tracking and for previously recorded tracks. With my interface- a MOTU Ultra-Lite hybrid, I've got quite a few outputs, so in Sonar I chose one of these outputs for the track in question. Then I ran a cable from that TRS output, into my Distressor, and that went into one of the MOTU's analog inputs. I then chose this input for a new track in Sonar. Pretty simple. It works well. The new processed track can be blended with the old unprocessed track in Sonar. I'd like to get an outboard EQ and use this same strategy. ...You need an interface A/D D/A converter that has multiple inputs and outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I don't believe this interface has inserts. Ideally you need a better interface. But you could still record the RCA outputs back into your inputs via outboard hardware. You would need to find another way to monitor ... perhaps a split from the outboard hardware to a mixer or headphone amp. Not ideal.

As a cheap workaround - you could export files to another media play - e.g. CD player - and re-record these via your hardware.

Basically, you need more D/A outs ... in the meantime, I would just use the hardware for tracking and commit ... not a bad idea anyway, because you aren't applying unnecessary conversion stages ...
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Ok… so I must admit that I can't currently use outboard gear after tracking…

Thanks to you all for your valuable infos !!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search