Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Audix cx212B?

Anybody heard these Audix cx-212b's yet that has experience with many mics?

I liked the scx mic they made, wondering how this is?

Is it made in the USA?

Not that this matters as much anymore, just curious.

This is all I can find, but you know magazine reviews...
http://www.audixusa.com/audix_news_f...1011_lores.pdf

Thanks,
john
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

errr...bump?

Anybody out there?
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Head

I'm curious about this too, especially compared to the at4050, ksm44, etc... I believe it is made in the USA, or at least mostly.

I have been looking for a vocal mic that is pretty accurate and doesn't push the mids too hard. I have strong mids in my voice and most vocal mics with too much "warmth" are overkill. The Audix condensers seem to be pretty neutral, without sounding flat, and have a good top end. But, without trying it out for myself, it's hard to say.

Zenpro has clips of the cx112 in their Clipalator, which I found somewhat helpful for comparison with other mics. (BTW, the cx112 is the cardioid-only version of the cx212)

Also, Gear Wire has a Youtube video, showcasing the cx112 on small-bodied guitar and uke, with a little vocal test at the end. It sounds pretty great on the uke, imho.

Audix CX-112 Cardioid Condenser Microphone Makes A Great Stocking Stuffer (Video) - YouTube

Also, here's a GS thread that discusses the cx212/112... eventually anyway It also includes a sample clip:
A mic worth considering
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hey thanks man. Just wondering how much has changed for better or worse with the "b" version.

I wonder what Zenpro's return policy on mics is?

I'll call and check I reckon.

Looking to put a couple mics up on an upright that are pretty flat with a little air, as this is a darker sounding piano. Not much attack from the hammers on it, and not much if anything up in the air band. I want to put them up, find the sweet spot and leave them, so they are ready to go when inspiration hits clients.

I use my other mic pairs for other things, want to get something dedicated, and just leave 'em.

I think it's down to this, ksm's, or maybe c214's.

I dunno....so many mics out there now in this price range. Many nice ones too.

Thanks again,
john
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Head

Hmm, that's a good question about the "b" version. I always see them labeled cx112a and cx212b. Maybe they are being redundant by labeling them with letters also?? I think that the cx112 did come out first and I know that personally, I didn't pickup on the fact that there were 2 separate mics for a while. They might be enhancing the discriminability between them for consumers by adding the letters?

I'm not sure what your budget is, and maybe you've looked into it already, but if I were going to mic a piano I would try the scx-25a. They get great reviews everywhere I've looked, although they do sound just a hair "warmer" than the cx series and I have read that the the pickup pattern is pretty tight, so you would probably need more than one. Zenpro sells a "piano system" here: Audix SCX25-A | Microphones @ ZenProAudio.com

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Zenpro. I just like their Clipalator, so I spend a lot of time on their site

I have read here that some users found the c214 (also a mic that I had been considering) to have a boomy, uncontrolled low end. Guessing that is not what you want, as uprights can get a little boomy anyway.

What about using a couple of cardioid sdc's? Maybe a couple of Peluso cecm6's or Josephson c42's? I am getting the Pelusos to use on my old, super warm Martins so I can get more "air" and "crispness". That high end is what I like about the cx112/212 also.

As a test, you might even try (as I have with my warmer, dreadnought guitars) the NT1a or TLM103. I was surprised at how much life the NT1a gave my old guitar strings.

Keep me updated. I'm interested to hear about what you settle on and how your choice works for your purpose and/or other applications!
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Well the 25's are what I used before (years ago), and what tipped me off to the audix condensers to start with. I recently listened to a recording that we used these on in a cathedral on a nice grand piano, and this is what got the whole audix ball rolling for me.

This always happens to me. I listen back to something I did years ago, and no matter how much new and "better" equipment I have, the grass is always greener. There is always something in those old recordings that makes you wish you had the gear you made them with

The 25's are way more expensive though right?

I have some 70+ mics right now (mostly dynamics and old esoteric stuff), just need a pair tailored to this specific application to leave in place and stay put..

I'll try and keep you posted, possibly via PM.

Thanks man,
john

PS:

Yeah, the Josephsons are a little rich for me at the moment, at least just for this, hence the interest in the budget audix's. Maybe in the future, as I hear they are amazing mics.
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Head

Hey! I think that I may have the beginnings of an answer to your question about "a" vs "b". The more I thought my original theory (wanting to differentiate between the 112 and 212), the less it made sense. So, I kept searching and here is what I found.

It turns out that Zzounds still sells what appears to be the original cx112, for a very good price!

Audix CX-112 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone

Under the "Specs" tab for the cx112(a), I found this:
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Technology: 1.07 inches/27mm Gold Vapor Diaphragm
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 14 mV / Pa at 1k
- Noise Floor: 18 dB (A weighted)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 76 dB
- Power Requirements: 48-52 volts phantom
- Maximum SPL: >=145 dB
- Dynamic Range: 127 dB
- Cable/Connector: 3 pin gold plated male XLR
- Polarity:
o Positive pressure on diaphragm
o Produces positive voltage on pin 2
o Relative to pin 3 of output
- Housing / Finish: Brass / Black satin
- Weight: 450 g / 16 ounces
- Length: 163 mm / 6.42 inches
- Included Accessories:
o Adjustable one piece metal clip
o Foam-lined wood case

Then, I found this PDF spec sheet for the "b" version from Audix USA:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...3Mxzyg-JqRRAcw

Transducer Type
Condenser
Capsule Technology 27.5 mm(1.08 in)Gold Vapor Diaphragm
Frequency Range
20 Hz - 20 kHz
Polar Pattern
Cardioid
Output Impedance
120 Ohms
Sensitivity
18 mV / Pa @ 1k
Equivalent Noise Floor
15 dB (A weighted)
Signal to Noise Ratio
79 dB
Power Requirements
48 volts phantom
Maximum SPL
?138 dB / ? 148 dB with Pad
Dynamic Range
123 dB
Cable/Connector
3 pin gold plated
male XLR connector
Polarity
Positive pressure on diaphragm
produces positive voltage on pin 2
relative to pin 3 of output
XLR connector
Housing
Aluminium & Zinc Alloy
Finish
Black satin
Weight
340 g / 12 ounces
Length
165 mm / 6.5 inches

Looks like most of the differences are minor, except maybe the output impedance and the fact that the "b" is 4 oz lighter.

I couldn't find a freq graph for the "a", so I don't know how these differences actually affect the sound. A mod guy or someone who tinkers with mic innards could probably tell you what this could mean, or if we are both lucky someone from Audix!
Old 10th December 2013
Gear maniac

The "Audix CX212B" is a well balanced Fet Microphone. It is a jack knife capable of pulling off many tasks in any studio. I used it on acoustic guitars, vocals, piano, and clean/distorted guitar cab and it shined thru. Many of my high end mics bow down to it on a regular basis. I was looking for an alternative to the many tube mics I had as I always loved the simplicity of fet mics. Audix has always been a favorite of mine and I own many of their microphones. My little f12 was $40 used and it gets recorded quite often. I hear good things about the
Audix SCX25A Condenser Microphone, but have not tried it yet. I plan on owning them all as they are not very expensive. The CX212B really shines on acoustic guitar and vocals. I heard a demo on youtube of a female vocalist and that is what originally sold me. It also looks stylish and sexy, for $400 this one is a winner.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search