why adat?
New Reply
Subscribe
am radio
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

why adat?

Why do new analog mixer's like the allen heath's come with firewire interfaces PLUS ADAT? isn't adat just digital anyway? why digital tape these days? I know why people use tape machines obviously but I must be missing something....
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Don't get the ADAT format mixed up with the implication that it involves tape. It is a format for sending digital information 8 channels at a time (4 channels at higher rate) through a toslink cable.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

thank you!
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Yup, even though ADAT was originally a tape based digital audio system, there were flexible communication protocols designed to allow tracks to be bounced, exported, mixed, and processed in a loss-less digit form that made it a powerful editing tool in it's own right. It became a "standard" for a time, and so when computer based recording first appeared, it made sense to allow the software to seamlessly integrate with existing ADAT based studios. It was so handy that it is still in use, even though the ADAT kind of went the way of the dinosaur as a tape based format.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Guru

ADAT Out adds value to the mixer:

Many firewire interfaces use ADAT lightpipe as the protocol for expansion inputs. If you already had a FW interface, you could use the A&H mixer to send 8 more channels into your interface.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Also, as an 8 channel digital connection, it takes up less real estate on a device's input/output panel than AES/EBU. A pair of ADAT lightpipe connectors takes up far less space than a DB25 connector or 8 XLR connectors for 8 channels of digital I/O.

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

...And Doze Lazers! They are so scifi! What's more cool than working with lasers!

And then seriously... Really handy way of transferring multitracks from one place to another.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Guru

Kind of ironic that the communication protocol is far outlasting the device it was invented for.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

I recently blew the dust off my old ADAT (which no longer works as a Digital Tape machine) and Alesis Mixer to route drum mics through the ADAT converters into the "light pipe" and directly into my interface to free up a bunch of interface channels. I gained 8 audio channels and a fairly decent set of meters that respond very quickly and accurately for setting drum mic levels. That can be iffy when just trying to use the "clip lights" on most pro-sumer interfaces. It was an improvised work around at the time, but I am liking it more and more.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search