Avalon 737 through Blackbird
rubbersole
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Avalon 737 through Blackbird

Hey guys,

Need some advice with upgrading. My current setup is as follows

Onyx Blackbird (interface/convertors/preamps)
2 AT 4050
1 AKG 414
4 Sm57
1 Beta 52

I have some cash to spend on upgrades and my question is this, do i spend money on a great channel strip (used avalon or used UA 610) or get a good dedicated vocal mic (blueberry) or upgrade my interface/convertors before OR just expand my mic collection (Re20/pencil mics/whatever).

I record mostly rock music (60s stuff to be specific) but have recently been getting jobs where i actually get paid haha! I occasionally run out of mics doing live stuff with drums but have some super shitty mics (random aphex and cheap akg stuff) that i have on hand when that happens that get the job done.

Hope it isn't too confusing! What would you guys do? i have about 1000 to spend, will the new strip even make a huge difference on vocals/snare/guitar with the blackbird convertors going through the inserts (the only way to byspass the pres)?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Let me know if i didn't clarify anything enough to receive proper advice.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

So you want to expand your amount of channels using the Avalon? Could be an idea, or you could get another Blackbird and have some spare cash left over for some better drum mics!
rubbersole
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

should have mentioned im not looking to get more channels (i have access to a second blackbird whenever i need it)

Im looking at the avalon just because there is a used one in my town for cheap. Looking for better vocals and just overall sound quality increase. I record a lot track by track and with scratch tracks.

I could get better drum mics but usually use mostly overheads (mono) with kick and room mic (60s music). any other suggestions?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Depending on where you live (economically) if I were you , I'd keep your $1000 as 'reserve' cash. If you're being paid for gigs, maybe rent some gear specific to the session, ensuring your fee pays for gear plus extra. That way you get to try out various mics, pre's etc.

Not a sexy suggestion but without knowing your specific situation, the economic climate suggests caution.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz App
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search