Mbox 3 vs Apogee Duet 2: Pros and Cons
New Reply
Subscribe
MetaLeecA
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Mbox 3 vs Apogee Duet 2: Pros and Cons

I'm very new to music production, so please go easy on me if this is a common question.

I've just bought my own copy of Pro Tools 10, but unsure on what interface to go with. I've been recommended Apogee One or Apogee Duet (1 or 2), though upon doing some research it seems although Apogee is of high quality, the new Mbox may be just as good for a better price.

Being new to it all, I'm after some advice!

(A) What are the Pros and Cons of the Mbox 3 and Apogee Duet 1/2 compared to each other?

(B) I may be completely misguided, in your opinion what is a very good quality/price interface for a beginner? I'm hoping to record electric guitars/bass', possible vocals, aswell as implementing drum machines and synthesisers (may not be applicable, once again I'm very new to this!).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I sold my Duet (1), and now have an Mbox 3 (standard USB).

Advantage of Mbox:
MIDI i/o
S/PIDF i/o
Direct monitoring w/ Reverb/Delay in Cue Mix
Built in tuner app
Separate knobs for input and monitor levels
No breakout cable
Works with Mac or Windows OS
Price (I paid $379 for my Mbox on Amazon w/ the 15% off deal they have right now).

I use it with my Macbook Pro 2.53 Core 2 Duo with PT10HD (I have and HD system as well). I regularly use 32 sample buffer for very low latency using Eleven, and a bunch of Avid instruments. I don't miss the Duet at all.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

In addition to the things Joe mentioned, I have personally compared the Mbox 3 and the Duet 2 for sound quality and in my opinion the the Mbox 3 sounds better in every way.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

I looked very long and hard at both of these and ended up with the MBox 3. IMO the Duet 2 had slightly better converters but the difference to my ears was pretty small and the items Joe Porto mentioned made it a pretty easy decision for the MBox.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear interested

richpjr:

can you elaborate more on the duet 2 converters being better? Are you talking about the DA output or AD? How did you listen and compare them?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplans View Post
richpjr:

can you elaborate more on the duet 2 converters being better? Are you talking about the DA output or AD? How did you listen and compare them?
I only got to compare the DA output in an semi-treated room for about a half hour comparing the two on a pair of HS80M monitors (same ones I have at home). Not a huge different between the two at all and the mbox easily wins on features and price - for my needs.
2nd September 2012
Old 2nd September 2012
Gear interested

No Offense To any poster, but the apogee Duet 2 A/D/A are miles above any avid product (other then the HD line) No Mbox Product comes close to comparison. I am talking straight converters here though. I have ran both, MBOX3, Apogee Duet 2, Symphony, Avid 192, and Ensemble.

In order of convertors.

1) Symphony
2) 192
3)Duet 2 (Same convertors as Rosestta Series, but using technology taken from the new Symphony series)
4)Ensemble
5)Mbox 3

Now this i just A/D/A PS there are better A/D/A then either of these. (Benchmark or the top of my head)

Never use the A/D/A Pres if you are serious about any recordings. When looking for an i/o only think convertors. Mbox's are noisy , sloppy , loose bottom end. Who ever says different has never done an honest A/B the only one that may raise a legitimate argument would be the Symphony Vs The 192 (But if you have either you really cannot go wrong) The Duet 2 are on par with the Rosetta's and are miles above any mbox series.

Though, Mic, Pre and performance is where the real sound comes from!
3rd September 2012
Old 3rd September 2012
Gear Head

RazerVoicals LOL i wanted to get an Mbox Pro but your post just made me think twice...just taking everyhing into consideration and not just the quality of the converters, what do you think is the best interface between Mbox Pro, Mbox 3 and Apogee Duet?
mds
3rd September 2012
Old 3rd September 2012
mds
Lives for gear

As a counter argument, my testing has shown me that the Mbox 3 Pro is a really good sounding box. Compared to several far more expensive A/D/As it held its own just fine. It gets a bad rap because of previous generation Mboxes. If the Mbox 3's feature set and price fits your criteria, don't skip it for the A/D/A.
3rd September 2012
Old 3rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to awhitebeats
My Mbox 3 just quit working. Beware of the static issue as well. I just dumped it
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qronik_dakid View Post
RazerVoicals LOL i wanted to get an Mbox Pro but your post just made me think twice...just taking everyhing into consideration and not just the quality of the converters, what do you think is the best interface between Mbox Pro, Mbox 3 and Apogee Duet?
I have AB'd the Duet with various Mbox in AD and DA, and I have to say the difference is quite present. You have a way more controlled low end and the clarity is outstanding. I would say Mbox is noisier as well.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search