Where to hear preamps.
New Reply
Subscribe
FnSquirrel
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

Where to hear preamps.

Hey guys this is my first post so i'll make it short and to the point. Thanks in advance for your comments/answers.

I'm a vocalist and recording into a mac running sonar. Everyone that i talk to says that a preamp is something worth investing in (great river or avalon yadayada). But upon reading everything about these two many have said "You need to listen to different preamps using your voice to see which one you like best." MY QUESTION IS where can i go to try things like this out? Is this even possible?

Thanks
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear addict

First of all, do you have a mic that you like for your voice? If so, find a nearby studio that has many of the options you're looking at, pay for a couple of hours of studio time, and hear back the choices at hand (using your microphone, and perhaps auditioning a handful of prospects while you're there). That's probably the best way to hear the competition in a controlled environment without having to pay tons of shipping charges on gear you may not wind up liking.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnSquirrel View Post
I'm a vocalist and recording into a mac running sonar.
I don't know about auditioning preamps, but how do you run SONAR on a Mac?

--Ethan
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Zen Pro Audio has the Clipalator on their website...pretty good for listening comparisons
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

--Ethan
Bootcamp.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Zen Pro Audio has the Clipalator on their website...pretty good for listening comparisons
Yeah, useful for general impressions - but it's very difficult to select something specific for your own voice without trying firsthand.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave gross View Post
Yeah, useful for general impressions - but it's very difficult to select something specific for your own voice without trying firsthand.
yes that is clearly the best option. I guess you have to have an idea of where to start, though, finances being what they are for trying probably one thing at a time or two
FnSquirrel
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

--Ethan
+1 for bootcamp. Running a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 so i can use the firewire. Works like a charm with windows 7.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys this is my first post so i'll make it short and to the point. Thanks in advance for your comments/answers.

I'm a vocalist and recording into a mac running sonar. Everyone that i talk to says that a preamp is something worth investing in (great river or avalon yadayada). But upon reading everything about these two many have said "You need to listen to different preamps using your voice to see which one you like best." MY QUESTION IS where can i go to try things like this out? Is this even possible?

Thanks
Some times if you tell us where you are located, we will offer you a chance to come by and try out some pres for free. If you are near Boston, I will be the first!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

+1 Zen Pro Audio

Then again, I've rarely heard night and day differences between preamps in the Clip-a-lator....Your mic will make more of a difference in tone than your pre.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
member no 666

Quote:
But upon reading everything about these two many have said "You need to listen to different preamps using your voice to see which one you like best." MY QUESTION IS where can i go to try things like this out? Is this even possible?
Pretty simple actually... you establish a relationship with a supplier for them, then have them sent to your studio for you to audition on your own time / on the material you work on most.

You take a good few weeks with them - get used to what they will and won't do best - then return the unused portion for a full refund. After a while, if you establish a good working relationship with a company that can provide a good selection of said products - you might actually be able to get a worthwhile recommendation or two.

Anything you hear on anything else but a production in which you're directly involved is total and complete bullshit. The only way to judge these tools is on your music, in your room, and over a good period of time.

Peace

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search