Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So much gear, so little time! (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   the steve albini sound (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/705195-steve-albini-sound.html)

Hans Island 1st March 2012 12:51 AM

the steve albini sound

i recently discovered this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMwRWsj80g

and after a few listens, thought i recognised that unique room kind of sound and i was right, it was albini -- so apart from In Utero and Attack On Memory (the album the youtube link features on)

could anyone else point me in the right direction of some good rock music with similar albini room styled tones?

oh and ofcourse feel free to post/rant about albini's infamous production techniques

hasbeen 1st March 2012 01:03 AM

I did not see a link

audiogeek 1st March 2012 01:08 AM

Neither did I.

But Oh God, you haven't heard a real record until you'd listened to P.J Harvey's Rid Of Me. Albini recorded it in 1992 I believe. Apart from being a great ****ing album of great ****ing music, sonically it's also my holy grail.

Real simple, just a trio of guitar bass drums, and it's just teeming with intensity. Do it up.

RhysC 1st March 2012 03:36 AM

I could list a ton of amazing sounding albums by Albini, but here's one he didn't record that has a similar kind of sound;
Spiderland by Slint

godotzilla 2nd March 2012 07:14 PM

Man, when Albini is matched with a good, like-minded band--like PJ, the Pixies, or the Breeders--the results are pretty effin' electrifying.

And then there's Bush ...

lostwars 2nd March 2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Island (Post 7622215)
i recently discovered this band

Cloud Nothings - No Sentiment - YouTube

and after a few listens, thought i recognised that unique room kind of sound and i was right, it was albini -- so apart from In Utero and Attack On Memory (the album the youtube link features on)

could anyone else point me in the right direction of some good rock music with similar albini room styled tones?

oh and ofcourse feel free to post/rant about albini's infamous production techniques

Chisel. Drill. Hammer. was a band in the late 90s that Albini recorded rather well.

RhysC 2nd March 2012 09:12 PM

Some of his best work.

j2dafo 2nd March 2012 10:40 PM

if you like that band, go back and listen to Albini's band, Shellac.

John Congleton does some Albini techniques, try his work and his band The Paper Chase.

bee 2nd March 2012 10:43 PM

There's a great article with Albini on Sound on Sound, you should do a search for.

superwack 2nd March 2012 10:47 PM

I Love Steve Albini but, even by his own words, he's an engineer trying to CAPTURE a band's sound and support what they do, he's not trying to change it... I have 2 friend's who've done albums with him (both bands were really happy with the outcome) but there was a lot of discussion in the studio that would go "Hey Steve, what do you think of my guitar tone" Steve: "That's what your guitar/amp sounds like, that's how you played it..." I agree with Shellac - that's probably really "his" sound.

James Meeker 2nd March 2012 10:49 PM

The best advice to sound more like Albini is to discount about 90% of what Albini says about sounding Albini. :)

nicpope 2nd March 2012 10:54 PM

Don Caballero American Don is my favorite piece of Albini's work. Great tones that really work for the music.

Jazz Noise 2nd March 2012 11:07 PM

No one going to mention The Breeder's Pod or any of the Shellac albums? Pod in particular is a stunning album, a sort of sincerity to the songwriting that the production allows be. Many a man would have made the mistake of stuffing them full of syrupy garbage but let's, like, the space "Be", man, you know?

bambony 2nd March 2012 11:13 PM

The Frames - "For The Birds". Not their greatest selection of songs but terrific sounds...

Tony

audiogeek 2nd March 2012 11:26 PM

Someone who never ever seems to get attention around here is Bob Weston. He plays alongside Albini in Shellac and is a huge talent as RE and ME as well. Sometimes achieves similar results as the "Albini" sound.

He recorded most of the catalog of Polvo, some of his best work. I highly recommend the album Exploded Drawing, prob my favorite album of all time, for both it's songwriting and production. And I'm not prone to hyperbole.

NF Audio 2nd March 2012 11:27 PM

Check out the 'Paradise' record by My Disco. Room sounds on the drums are fantastic!

mattqualls 3rd March 2012 01:30 AM

+1 for the my disco post! same goes for the Jesus lizard goat post! albini rules and you can absolutely tell that he is a big proponent for making a band sound how they do live. check out neurosis "times of grace" and "a sun that never sets" two phenomenal sounding recordings that are also quite sonically different.

RhysC 3rd March 2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicpope (Post 7627517)
Don Caballero American Don is my favorite piece of Albini's work. Great tones that really work for the music.

Such a good album and it really does sound incredible. There's photos from the sessions and info on mics used here- American Don recording session pictures

chout 3rd March 2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiogeek (Post 7627647)

He recorded most of the catalog of Polvo, some of his best work. I highly recommend the album Exploded Drawing, prob my favorite album of all time, for both it's songwriting and production. And I'm not prone to hyperbole.

One of my faves too.kfhkh

LimpyLoo 3rd March 2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiogeek (Post 7627647)

It's about time Polvo got some play on GS.kfhkh

Jayrawk 3rd March 2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhysC (Post 7628064)
Such a good album and it really does sound incredible. There's photos from the sessions and info on mics used here- American Don recording session pictures

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

bcgood 3rd March 2012 06:02 AM

I've gotta say, I really don't like the "Albini sound"

chout 3rd March 2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameal (Post 7628745)
actually albini did that one too, he just didn't credit himself

Brian Paulson recorded Spiderland.

sameal 3rd March 2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chout (Post 7628747)
Brian Paulson recorded Spiderland.

i forgot he did tweez not spiderland. crap! i'm never wrong!

dvonche 3rd March 2012 07:32 AM

He did a tons of records !
There's a great ITW in the last Tape op

Tape Op Magazine > Articles > Steve Albini

thenoiseflower 3rd March 2012 07:39 AM

Greatness..

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiogeek (Post 7622265)
Neither did I.

But Oh God, you haven't heard a real record until you'd listened to P.J Harvey's Rid Of Me. Albini recorded it in 1992 I believe. Apart from being a great ****ing album of great ****ing music, sonically it's also my holy grail.

Real simple, just a trio of guitar bass drums, and it's just teeming with intensity. Do it up.

Agreed about a personal sonic holy grail, top 5 for sure. the room sound of her voice and the way the loud passages seem to bow the room when played louuuuud is craziness(great way to laugh at physics in a room with ridiculous monitoring). the vocal, the space its in! emotionally the shit ****in' slays my heart , like, 17 years later, but most of her next 3 records do that too...

I think it was recorded in the same stay at pachyderm as when he did In Utero. like, feb 1993.

wreckordist 3rd March 2012 08:45 AM

My favorite Albini recordings were the Jesus Lizard albums.

RhysC 3rd March 2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreckordist (Post 7628879)
My favorite Albini recordings were the Jesus Lizard albums.

Here's the channel list for Goat, with all microphones used- Channel List for "Goat" | David Wm. Sims

The highlight is definitely the SM98 he supposedly taped to David Yow's head while the band was tracking live and he was doing scratch vocals.

Hint 3rd March 2012 05:06 PM

Not mentioned yet -

Low's "Things We Lost In The Fire" is one of my favourite Albini recordings.

Ward Pike 3rd March 2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgood (Post 7628630)
I've gotta say, I really don't like the "Albini sound"

I agree. It's never been my cup of tea either, but it is interesting. You have to give then man that!

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.