How to open my Toft ATB?
notbillcosby
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Head

How to open my Toft ATB?

Google has been strikingly unhelpful when it comes to showing me how to open my Toft ATB16 so that I can spray out some switches and pots that are getting way too noisy. Can anyone help? I don't want to dismantle a whole bunch of stuff and find out later that I don't need to; I'd really like to do this with as little unplugging as possible. If anyone can shine a light on this, i'd really appreciate it!
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

use compressed air
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Blow the hell out of it ...make sure there is no moisture in the air lines..and use ear plugs

You'll be surprised how well it works.
notbillcosby
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Head

How can compressed air clean out scratchy pots, especially without getting at the back of them?
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbillcosby View Post
Google has been strikingly unhelpful when it comes to showing me how to open my Toft ATB16 so that I can spray out some switches and pots that are getting way too noisy. Can anyone help? I don't want to dismantle a whole bunch of stuff and find out later that I don't need to; I'd really like to do this with as little unplugging as possible. If anyone can shine a light on this, i'd really appreciate it!
I've taken my ATB24 apart a few times for various reasons (a few changed pots, VU bulb replacement, etc), and it's not fun. You need to take off every knob/nut for the particular bucket, which can take forever. If compressed air won't do the trick, you can carefully spray through the top. Take the knob off the pot that's giving you trouble, as well as the nut, and use your spray on a low setting, carefully right where the pot comes through the chassis. There is just barely enough room for the spray to get through, and you don't want to use too much, but it should work (I've helped along a few scratchy pots). Clean up any excess. I've never tried with the switches. It's a quick way to do it if you don't have the time to pull the console apart between sessions. The way I see it, if I'm opening the console, I'm going to replace the parts, not spray them.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

for god's sake DO NOT open your toft, all the little monkeys will escape and you will spend forever rounding them up and trying to settle them back in under each fader. Smearing some banana in under there will help lure them back.....

(sorry, I know this is absolutely no help, but crazy wet day here in SE Australia and I am going stir crazy. Good luck, surprised to hear the Toft's are so difficult where simple maintenance should be concerned.)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search