New Reply
Subscribe
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
i think he's wondering how a 32ft long soundwave can fit into a 12ft long car...
You hear the edge of the waveform, not the entire thing. It's like standing in the ocean, you feel the edge of the wave, not the entire wave at once.
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear addict

The way I see subwoofers set up in cars (and in many home environments, too), they're not there to amplify really low frequencies like 35Hz. Those frequencies are almost entirely absent in modern recordings anyway because they've been traded away for more volume in the mastering process--even in hip hop and dance music.

I think people like subs because they exaggerate the 80-100 range. Or possibly even higher. Hardcore home theater and classical dudes may use the subwoofer to reproduce just the lowest frequencies not covered by their main speakers, but I don't think car stereo systems are set up that way.
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Standing waves aren't necessarily evil. It's their distribution throughout the frequency range that we need to be mindful of. This is how we end up with 'golden ratios' for rectangular room design. Their intent is to achieve the most consistent spacing between the frequencies of the room modes.

Big rooms tend to sound more 'even' since their fundamental modes are at lower frequencies, which means that in the mid-bass range the mode 'density' (from all the harmonics of the modes) is pretty high.

Cheers

Kris
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at here... but I've never, ever, ever heard of someone designing a rectangular room using the golden ratio for listening purposes. Every room I've seen that was designed to augment accurate reproduction of audio or minimize standing waves has used non parallel walls and ceiling/floor -- and often using curved surfaces as well to further minimize standing waves. But I'm certainly not an acoustician.
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
Wait a second is it ok for the guy to ask a bloody question. Step down flyboy.
It was not the question that set me off. It was some of the answers. But you're right, I allowed my frustration to get the best of me.

21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Subs in cars work because they have to, the driver of that car ain't got no job.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Let's get those guys organized... we can hire them as part of a viral music promo network. Load them up with our clients' deathless tunes and send them out into the streets.

Sort of payola on wheels...
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
I'm thinking of getting a sub at home for my Adam A7x's and was doing the math and realize a 35hz wave is over 32 feet. Why do Low frequencies and sub woofers work in cars?? I've heard some car systems that have crystal clear tight low end.
a lot of cabinets i see in cars are sealed. my guess is that has to do a lot with it
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at here... but I've never, ever, ever heard of someone designing a rectangular room using the golden ratio for listening purposes. Every room I've seen that was designed to augment accurate reproduction of audio or minimize standing waves has used non parallel walls and ceiling/floor -- and often using curved surfaces as well to further minimize standing waves. But I'm certainly not an acoustician.
Non parallel walls still develop standing waves. They are just more difficult to predict, and are generally longer (lower frequency) than in rectangular rooms as they often couple into to more wall/ceiling surfaces.

Many studios have non parallel false walls built around a rectangular shell. At low frequencies these are still rectangular rooms, and the the non parallel surfaces simply help create a reflection free zone at the mix/listening position. Other studios have slightly skewed side walls, but their modes end up looking a whole lot like rectangular room modes.

Cheers

Kris
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
The other mysteries of the auto audio universe are:

1. Why does a kick drum always sound best in a Ford F150

and speaking of which...

2. Why does the floor of a Ford F150 make an amazing kick drum sound?
Which brings us to the age-old question, "what's the best mastering compressor for a Ford F150?" I'm thinking the Shadows Hills would be a good choice to go with the Massive Passive I've already installed in the center console.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Let's get those guys organized... we can hire them as part of a viral music promo network. Load them up with our clients' deathless tunes and send them out into the streets.

Sort of payola on wheels...
Not a completely bad idea, use satellite radio to organize the playlist and have about 1000 cars cruse down town LA blaring the same song. Market saturation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App

The mix is ALLLLLLLLLLMOSSSTTTT 'perfect'.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search