Best combo guitar amp under $1000
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Best combo guitar amp under $1000

whtup

I'm looking to get a nice combo guitar amp under $1000 (preferably under $700) for me to use, and to record with if it sounds nice enough.

I'm probably going to buy a PRS to play through it unless you guys have any better suggestions in the same price range, I know there are a lot of PRS haters but it may or may not suit what I'm going to (try to) play.

The sound range I'm looking for is something like (don't necessarily like these bands in particular, just the sound btw) Finch, Thrice, Folly (okay I like some thrice and a lot of folly), maybe Taking Back Sunday, you know, those type of sounds. Heavy but not really heavy metal metallica type stuff. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to get a tech-metal type sound too...like Psyopus if you've ever heard those guys...or Knife The Glitter (pretty obscure).

So basically I want to spend around $1500 on the best/most versatile (for what I'm doing) guitar and combo amp I can afford with that. If you guys have any suggestions for speakers and pickups that would be cool too. Also, if you guys know any other forums that might be more help I'd love to know!

I appreciate it guys!
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Check out plexipalace.com ......lots of cool info there.

I just got into a slightly modified Fender Deluxe Reverb 65 reissue that I love, but I don't know if that is the sound you are looking for. For $1500 I'd go get a new Vox AC30 with alnico blues in it and call it a day. Good luck.
Sean
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

BTW, this is Knife The Glitter if you are interested...interesting band (tech-metal, but my dad, a classical guy, loves them)...the point is they get a crazy guitar sound (at least pretty unique-might be mainly due to playing though) and I'd like to have the versitility to do this kind of stuff too.

one of my old "mixes," man how times/skills have changed... *leaves after trying to defend horrible amateurish mix...*
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

ahh what happened to the file

it won't load, just go to myspace.com/knifetheglitter and listen to "rough mix 1" (medical oats)
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hughes & Kettner Tube 20 $700 or so and as good as it gets at that price.

it's also called the edition tube I think.
It sounds GREAT and all reviews give it top marks. A great company too.

Last edited by dlmorley; 12th May 2006 at 08:35 AM..
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

also keep in mind whatever I get I will try to get used, so I'm really looking for used prices here.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Koch amps look interesting, any experience with them? Which ones? And what about that pedaltone + a small combo?

I'm checking out the Hughes & Kettner Tube 20 right now.
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants
also keep in mind whatever I get I will try to get used, so I'm really looking for used prices here.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Koch amps look interesting, any experience with them? Which ones? And what about that pedaltone + a small combo?

I'm checking out the Hughes & Kettner Tube 20 right now.
Engl are another great company.
The Tube 20 wins on price and covers most ground but Engl might suit you as they can be real gain monsters.
Koch I jear very good things about but have never played one.
PS: here you can hear a demo of the tube 20

http://www.planetguitar.net/tests/hk_ediTube/index.html

click "hören" and there are 2 tracks to listen to.
All guitars done on the tube 20
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

any Engl amp in particular?

I'm liking what I'm reading about the Tube 20, and it looks like you can get them for very cheap (I saw one for like $250 on ebay), do you think that and something like the pedaltone or something else would be the most versatile solution?

Any other pedal - type suggestions?
Any guitar suggestions?

I'm so glad I have access to you people, you rock
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm looking at the Engl Thunder 50 combo right now, looks pretty sweet...

Anyone had any experience with this?

If anyone has any guitar/pickup suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm getting excited...
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

ahhh sorry to throw all these questions out...

anyone have any experience with the Ibanez Jet King 2? The reviews I read on Harmony Central say it's not so good with distortion but how expensive would it be to put in, say, EMG pickups or something else (recommendations?), and could I do it myself? I need some expert advice here!
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
whtup

I'm looking to get a nice combo guitar amp under $1000 (preferably under $700) for me to use, and to record with if it sounds nice enough.

I'm probably going to buy a PRS to play through it unless you guys have any better suggestions in the same price range, I know there are a lot of PRS haters but it may or may not suit what I'm going to (try to) play.

The sound range I'm looking for is something like (don't necessarily like these bands in particular, just the sound btw) Finch, Thrice, Folly (okay I like some thrice and a lot of folly), maybe Taking Back Sunday, you know, those type of sounds. Heavy but not really heavy metal metallica type stuff. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to get a tech-metal type sound too...like Psyopus if you've ever heard those guys...or Knife The Glitter (pretty obscure).

So basically I want to spend around $1500 on the best/most versatile (for what I'm doing) guitar and combo amp I can afford with that. If you guys have any suggestions for speakers and pickups that would be cool too. Also, if you guys know any other forums that might be more help I'd love to know!

I appreciate it guys!
Are you looking for something all tubes, or will you go with amp simulator?
THe Vetta II combo is very versitile.
If your set on tubes, forget it.
http://line6.com/vetta_ii/US/
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
The Koch amps look interesting, any experience with them? Which ones?
There is a newer version of the Studiotone -> Studiotone II, the articles in some magazines are very positive.
Take a closer look to it, if you are primary interested for a recording amp.
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose
Are you looking for something all tubes, or will you go with amp simulator?
THe Vetta II combo is very versitile.
If your set on tubes, forget it.
http://line6.com/vetta_ii/US/

hmmm I can't decide
I'm leaning towards tubes, I have a line 6 pod and I don't like how it sounds really, I'd assume the Vetta is much better but is it the same kind of thing?
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbam
There is a newer version of the Studiotone -> Studiotone II, the articles in some magazines are very positive.
Take a closer look to it, if you are primary interested for a recording amp.
thanks I'll check it out
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
any Engl amp in particular?

I'm liking what I'm reading about the Tube 20, and it looks like you can get them for very cheap (I saw one for like $250 on ebay), do you think that and something like the pedaltone or something else would be the most versatile solution?

Any other pedal - type suggestions?
Any guitar suggestions?

I'm so glad I have access to you people, you rock
The Engl's in your price range are the thunder and screamer I think. Very similar as far as I can recall.
I'd say a tube 20 and a great pedal would be an extremely good idea. H&K just don't have the brand name, so prices are low compared to others.

I would stick with valve amps to be honest. Not that I don't like somne modelling amps, but I still find they lack something. Very useful, but no classic tone.
I did like the old Yamaha DG80 as it didn't try to be something else. Most try and be marshall, mesa, fender etc etc instead of just trying to be great amps.
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've said it before and still stand by it. You ca't really go wrong with a Boogie mark series. I paid around $500 for my last Mark III.
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by covert
I've said it before and still stand by it. You ca't really go wrong with a Boogie mark series. I paid around $500 for my last Mark III.
I love boogies, but they are an acquired taste and not so easy to set up.
With the above amps, I recommended them because you plug in and the sound is there but still flexible.
You can make a real dogs dinner with a mesa boogie.
Great amps though (most of them)
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
I'm looking at the Engl Thunder 50 combo right now, looks pretty sweet...

Anyone had any experience with this?

If anyone has any guitar/pickup suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm getting excited...
The Engl Thunder is my favourite amp for over ten years now. It lacks nothing: brilliant clean and crunch sounds. The high gain sounds are with the best ones the market, I think. Go for it!

Michael

BTW: I could never stand H&K´s distortion and crunch sounds. Much to "clean" in my book.
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Hartlieb
The Engl Thunder is my favourite amp for over ten years now. It lacks nothing: brilliant clean and crunch sounds. The high gain sounds are with the best ones the market, I think. Go for it!

Michael

BTW: I could never stand H&K´s distortion and crunch sounds. Much to "clean" in my book.
Even on the tube 20? !!
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Hartlieb

Michael

This seems to be the direction I'm leaning. I'm drooling over the Thunder right now. I guess it depends on if I can get a used one or not, I can't afford a new one.

Since you've used it for so long, do you recommend any particular pickups to match it? Like I said, I'm looking at the Ibanez Jet King 2 but the reviews I'm reading say it's sound is not so great for hi-gain stuff so I was considering putting EMG 89's or 85's in there. I'm a newbie so I don't even know if this is possible or will work right, but I don't see why not. Couldn't I replace the bridge pickup with the EMGs and leave the other one stock for a totally different sound, like for cleaner stuff? Or would I have to do some other kind of mod?
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Gear interested

Pickups are always a tough question. There are so many variables (your playing style, different kinds of guitars and so on). I have always been a Strat guy, so I can say definately that they work brilliantly with Engls. But also Teles and Thinlines do sound great.
My advice: go to a decent shop and try several guitars on an Engl. It is just not possible to say: buy this and that pickup and you will have that sound in the end. Good luck!
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley
Even on the tube 20? !!
Sorry, I was talking about the H&K sound in general. I tried the tube 20 once, but I didn´t like it that much. Amps are as highly subjective as guitars in the end.

Michael
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The sound range I'm looking for is something like (don't necessarily like these bands in particular, just the sound btw) Finch, Thrice, Folly (okay I like some thrice and a lot of folly), maybe Taking Back Sunday, you know, those type of sounds.
Sounds to me like you might be better suited with a head & cab. Someone mentioned the Mesa Mark series - that or a Rectifier, but that's probably out of your price range. A Mark III would definitely do the trick. A Marshall JCM 900 would also do the trick. 800's are too mid-rangey for Thrice tones and 2000's sound like plastic no matter what IMO. The Hughes & Kettner Tube 20 would also get the job done, but I really think you're gonna want 4x12" to play hardcore. I'd honestly suggest a Mesa Mark III with some sort of 4x12" cab with Celestion Vintage 30's.

As far as guitars go - no single coil under any circumstances for what you're gonna play. A Les Paul or an SG with just standard ol' humbuckers will do the trick. You can upgrade the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan for hotter output if you want. Keeping to your budget, get an Epiphone. I honestly think bang for your buck, there's no beating them. Get an intonation job done on them and they're comparable to a Gibson. They're not gonna feel quite the same, but compare $400 to $1200 for a Les Paul.

Hope this helps ya and doesn't further frustrate you!
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY
Sounds to me like you might be better suited with a head & cab. Someone mentioned the Mesa Mark series - that or a Rectifier, but that's probably out of your price range. A Mark III would definitely do the trick. A Marshall JCM 900 would also do the trick. 800's are too mid-rangey for Thrice tones and 2000's sound like plastic no matter what IMO. The Hughes & Kettner Tube 20 would also get the job done, but I really think you're gonna want 4x12" to play hardcore. I'd honestly suggest a Mesa Mark III with some sort of 4x12" cab with Celestion Vintage 30's.

As far as guitars go - no single coil under any circumstances for what you're gonna play. A Les Paul or an SG with just standard ol' humbuckers will do the trick. You can upgrade the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan for hotter output if you want. Keeping to your budget, get an Epiphone. I honestly think bang for your buck, there's no beating them. Get an intonation job done on them and they're comparable to a Gibson. They're not gonna feel quite the same, but compare $400 to $1200 for a Les Paul.

Hope this helps ya and doesn't further frustrate you!
I just don't think I can afford a half stack, and I def. don't have the room for it. I'd rather get a smaller amp that I can get a broader range of sounds from, and that I could keep in my bedroom - with my little (albeit high end) bedroom setup there's not much more room left, I'd pretty much have to sleep on the 4X12!

As for the Epiphone, do you recommend any particular one? And what basis do you recommend them on, feel, sound, both? Have you ever played the Jet King's I've been mentioning?

So is there any other reason you recommend the Seymour Duncan pickups other than hotter output?

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm loving this!
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Epiphone....hmmm
play before you buy. I have seen some very bad ones and some decent ones.
Just mentioning it!
Poopants
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone used a Fernandes Monterey Elite?
Poopants
13th May 2006
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

nobody?
13th May 2006
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

5150 2x12 -- it rocks the house!

When I saw A.I.C. on "Dirt" opening for Ozzy, Jerry was using 5150's...fattest guitar tone I've ever heard in a large venue, esp. considering it was a one-guitar band...

The COMBOS go for $500-600 regularly. And, for the style of music you're looking for, they're the s^&t.

Just get a f^&'n dolly before you try to move it. And keep the gain below "5," even if you're playng super-heavy. It's a little overbuilt in the gain department.

Or get a Mesa "Heartbreaker" amp if you see one. I used to see Butch Walker playing the 2x12 with Marvelous 3.

Seriously, though, if you can't get the 4x12, get a 2x12 cab and a separate amp head, unless the combo thing is absolutely what you want. You'll have more choices (most high-end amps are head-only), and you'll be able to split them if your needs change.
13th May 2006
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano

Seriously, though, if you can't get the 4x12, get a 2x12 cab and a separate amp head, unless the combo thing is absolutely what you want. You'll have more choices (most high-end amps are head-only), and you'll be able to split them if your needs change.

There are loads of high end combos around and he is looking for an amp under $1k, so I'd say a decent combo is the way to go. You can always add a 4x12 later.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search