Login / Register

Mains Cable as Speaker Wire !
New Reply
Subscribe
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

also use mains cable from amp to speakers ( ns10s) here.

sounds great...

moving on.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
Absolutely amazing!!!!!

Just completed rewiring my monitors with solid core. Positioned myself in the sweet spot and I can say without any trace of exaggeration that I’ve had the listening experience of a lifetime! I was listening to an album called ‘The Nightfly’ and for the very first time I could clearly hear that Donald Fagan was wearing a navy coloured shirt: 10% acrylic, 75% viscose. But I still feel I’m missing that elusive 15% ...
I was the same until I tried ceramic insulation, now I can hear his pants.
pqlia
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I was the same until I tried ceramic insulation, now I can hear his pants.
That's the first laugh i've had all day!
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

The 'open secret' of audio cable manufactures is that speaker cable IS power cable, but with a different coloured plastic coating around it, put in a fancy package and sold at a stupid price.

There are only some five or six wire-makers on Planet Earth and only two left in Europe (Alcatel and Pirelli). The audio cable manufacturers order in bulk and either just do the coating themselves, or they order the cable, ready coated with clear plastic, or whatever fancy covering they require.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
The 'open secret' of audio cable manufactures is that speaker cable IS power cable, but with a different coloured plastic coating around it, put in a fancy package and sold at a stupid price.

There are only some five or six wire-makers on Planet Earth and only two left in Europe (Alcatel and Pirelli). The audio cable manufacturers order in bulk and either just do the coating themselves, or they order the cable, ready coated with clear plastic, or whatever fancy covering they require.
SHOCKing!
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear nut

If you really want to improve the sound of your system, what you need to do is buy a felt-tip pen and draw some arrows on the cable pointing to the amp. Then disconect the cables turn them around so that the arrows are pointing in the right direction. The difference is like night and day. Seriously, if you can't hear it you shouldn't be in this business. Honestly.

Also I have some tea-bags that I've pre-used to extact the bitter tanins and increase by some tenfold the energy vibrations inherent in the Camellia Sinensis micro-pores and so now will produce the finest, smoothest most deliciousest tea on the planet. And because this is a limited-number offer ( five per day, max) I can let you have them for, er, £25.00 each. Deal?
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I forget the science of it [if I'm not mistaken its something about "shell effect"] but I'm under the impression that stranded is better for audio... but solid wire will certainly work.

Peace
You mean skinning. Seems to me that for every knowledgable dude who thinks this is an issue, I can find another who dismisses it.

I read of a few A-list mastering engineers who swear by solid core wire. I asked the owner of Cable Factory about this, and he derided the idea.

Who knows?
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
You mean skinning. Seems to me that for every knowledgable dude who thinks this is an issue, I can find another who dismisses it.

I read of a few A-list mastering engineers who swear by solid core wire. I asked the owner of Cable Factory about this, and he derided the idea.

Who knows?
If one of those mastering engineers happened to be Herb Powers, . . i'd be inclined to believe him! ;¬)
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear addict

Open your speaker box and check the cables used to connect the speakers internally. What does that tell you?

Sean
pqlia
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
Open your speaker box and check the cables used to connect the speakers internally. What does that tell you?

Sean
Ya know ... I've thought that very same thing many a time! ...... although i did once have a set of very respected monitors which were wired internally with Van De Hull hi-fi speaker cable!?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search