Login / Register

Better monitor isolators than Auralex MoPads?
New Reply
Subscribe
dickiefunk
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Better monitor isolators than Auralex MoPads?

Could anyone recommend a better monitor isolators than the Auralex MoPads?
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Primacoustic Recoils.
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Gear addict

Yup - here you go!

This is the best thing for ya. i don't know why everyone doesn't do it. For eons they've been decoupling speakers from the floor with spikes in the "audiophile" world. The cost is nothing, i think these were $10 and they completely place the speaker in its own space, devoid of contact with anything. i have my Adams AND my Gene's on them. Perfect solution.

Try it. So cheap, if you ain't into it, you can move on to something else with little guilt. You won't though.
Attached Thumbnails
Better monitor isolators than Auralex MoPads?-1.jpg  
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

What is that? How do I do it? Looks like they'd slide off easily!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

http://soundcloud.com/thingstocome/born-this-way-the-horrorist
SRS
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Yeah, monitor/speaker isolation spikes are the exact opposite of what the recoiled stabilizers are trying to accomplish. The recoils are attempting to take the forward/rearward movement (however slight) and "stabilize" it with a massive steel platform covered with rubber. Mopads are more in line with the spike theory, as the open celled foam makes an effort to isolate the monitors from the surface they sit upon. I would be very concerned (living in southern California - earthquake territory) with any monitor or speaker sitting on skies without them having some reliable means to keep them from hitting the floor or console in a decent sized shaker.

That being said, I have both, the Mopads on one set of monitors and Recoils on another. They both decouple the monitors from the stands well, and in the end, that's really what the goal is, so the bass does not get transmitted to/through the monitor stands/console/meter bridge/whatever.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Primacoustic Recoils.
They made a huge difference in my monitoring.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Office Max mouse pads.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Primacoustic Recoils.
+1
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Primacoustic Recoils.
Huge difference using these.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

+1 on the Primacoustic Recoil stabiliser. But as mentioned, speaker spikes are a good option.

www.aisle6.com.au
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

25 lb. theatrical sandbags with a piece of rubber on top.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick View Post
This is the best thing for ya. i don't know why everyone doesn't do it. For eons they've been decoupling speakers from the floor with spikes in the "audiophile" world. The cost is nothing, i think these were $10 and they completely place the speaker in its own space, devoid of contact with anything. i have my Adams AND my Gene's on them. Perfect solution.

Try it. So cheap, if you ain't into it, you can move on to something else with little guilt. You won't though.
hahah thats awesome

Are monitor isolation pads actually worth it? or just a gimick?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear nut

I just bought the m-audio bx5 d2 monitors and they have isolators with them but they seem to be too thin (more like mouse pads). Are these isolators good? Or would I be better off buying isolators such as the MoPads?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick View Post

Actually, spikes couple a speaker to the surface NOT decouple like mopads. Big difference.

I never heard talk of spikes actually helping with mechanical isolation until very recently; when they first came out it was considered a good thing to be coupled to the floor (you do get more bass that way.... I said more bass not better bass). I suppose when pro audio guys started trying to do the opposite the audiophile marketing talking points flipped to match.

Quote:
...a cone or spike might not reduce the amount of actual force transmission, but actually help ensure effective transmission. Hence spikes and cones – far from “isolating” – might sometimes give a more effective link for vibrations to pass though.

In some recent issues of the audio magazine, ‘Hi Fi News’ [ref 1], Keith Howard used an accelerometer to measure the levels of vibration in various objects. When he tried measuring the vibrations produced in a loudspeaker stand by playing the speaker he found a result that surprised him. With the speaker unit sitting on cones the level of vibration of the stand was over one hundred times greater than if the cones were replaced with small rubbery feet. This indicates that cones are of doubtful use if the intention is to stop vibrations passing from the speaker to the stand, or to any other solid objects against which the speaker may sit.
Speaker Spikes and Cones – What’s the point? — Reviews and News from Audioholics

This would not be a surprising result to any physicist, but it seems that sometimes audiophiles need to really be hit over the head with something before they can accept that the overpriced and needlessly gold plated pointy headed screw they bought is not doing what they think it is.

As for the original question:
- mousepads or whatever foam you have on top of a phone book
- a pc of wood on top of a sandbag (sand will act like a fluid - in theory a gel pad would also work but sand is usually cheaper and easier to DIY) on top of another pc of wood
- 2 tennis/raquetball/squash balls cut in half and used as 4 dome feet under the unit (better for audio components, such as turntables, than speakers as speakers vibrate a lot more, but should be adequate for smaller/lighter speakers that don't go too low )

Absorbtion = mechanical compliance + sheer mass and NOT concentrating the vibrations that would otherwise be spread over a much larger area into 3 or 4 tiny points

and the band I was in before that: Pacific Trash Vortex
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for ceasing up the spikes theory. I must admit that although never having used them, I just blindly assumed that the folklore was true. Cheers.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

phone books and mouser catalogs...

cheaper = better, free = good

seems to work well, to me
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Chesler View Post

Prepare your wallet: Ardan Audio
Aren't those the turret guns from the Imperial Battleships in Star Wars?
3rd July 2012
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear interested

I am putting a pair of 5" monitor on my cheap computer desk. And the position of the tweeter is way too low to my ears, and the desk was vibrating and resonance.

I have tried a piece of wood, phone book/commercial catalogues, and I finally settled with.........rolls of packing tape.

I got some rolls of tape which are 2 inches wide, and place 3 rolls under each monitor. make sure you get the good quality of tapes so the height (width of tape) is exactly the same for each roll.

I found that the tape rolls are stiff enough to support the monitor, and with very good damping factor to isolate the vibration from the speaker to the desk. When the monitor is properly placed on the tape rolls, it feels "sticks" onto the tapes when my hand try to shake it.

Pros: Cheap, sound quality is much better than phone books.
Cons: Looks cheap. Photo will be uploaded later
3rd July 2012
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Monitor placement, room design and acoustic treatment will make huge differences in the sound and effectiveness of your monitors. In my experience with mopads and recoil stabilizers I felt like I was just rearranging the deck chairs.

I have my ADAMs sitting on my console furniture but have taken to trouble to stuff bags of pink in all the crevices and fill all the racks with double screwed gear or blank panels with pink behind them. Under the console I have several bags of pink insulation rolls in garbage bags to trap bass and dampen vibrating surfaces.

-R
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

IsoAcoustics stands have been really helpful for me.
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear addict

Dr Scholl's 'Gell' shoe inserts.

You can get them cheap at the $ollar $tore.

Cut off the heal section, and cut that into 4 pieces.

Works great ... much cheaper than Sorbethane.
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I have my ADAMs sitting on my console furniture but have taken to trouble to stuff bags of pink in all the crevices and fill all the racks with double screwed gear or blank panels with pink behind them. Under the console I have several bags of pink insulation rolls in garbage bags to trap bass and dampen vibrating surfaces.

Consider covering the undersides of your desk with this stuff, it'll dampen it to something akin to lead:

Dynamat XTREME

I've used it on every car I've owned, it's a bit of a miracle worker. I also lined the inside of a JBL LSR sub with it, it tightened the sound up considerably, it was a bit weird because you couldn't feel much vibration on the cab even when it was pounding away.

Don't let it come into contact with/adhere to walls, carpet or hardwood floors, it's absurdly difficult to remove once the adhesive cures!

Gregory Scott - ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Gear addict

Has anyone said Triton Audio NeoLev yet? ... Incredible!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search