Choosing 2 HighEnd Mics- 1x Utility & 1x Character
New Reply
Subscribe
dismaus82
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear maniac

Choosing 2 HighEnd Mics- 1x Utility & 1x Character

I want to buy 2 (two) new microphones to add to the collection at the studio. I'm looking for one to be a character/colorful microphone, and the other to be a utility 'one size fits all' kind of microphone. Versatility!

Looking for a/an condenser(s) and/or ribbon(s). Have a good selection of dynamic microphones already.

Functions include but aren't limited to- Drum OH/Room, with close micing capabilities as well (can handle a reasonable amount of SPL), as well as guitars and vocals. Acoustic instruments too. Pretty straightforward.

Just as a frame of reference, I'm mostly recording rock subgenres - punk, hc, post punk, glam, powerpop, indie rock/pop. Essentially, NOT Jazz/R&b/etc and very little Metal.

* LOVE vintage sounds-- but I'm tracking on 2" --so I don't necessarily NEED something that normally would be bought by a digital engineer to specifically soften/"warm" (hate that word) up the digital recordings.

I have access to a good, treated room, and my outboard selection is fine.

This is coming from a real, independent engineer who hasn't committed to any higher-ticket items in the mic department yet.
This is because I've had access to a good list of rental mics in the past and haven't worked consistently enough in the past to justify spending in the quadruple digits on microphones.

Cost of microphones is not a concern, just some straightforward advice on a character mic (higher end) and a utility mic (higher end as well).

Thanks in advance friends!
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

a bit predictable, but C414B-uls and U47 fet (or any of a number of modern takes on it).
dismaus82
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dafo View Post
a bit predictable, but C414B-uls and U47 fet (or any of a number of modern takes on it).
I'm assuming the fet47 would be the 'character' mic of the two? Thanks
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Guru

hard to beat the 414 in the "utility" category, IMO

I love my old EBs

AEA R84 is a favorite character mic of mine
it might be a bit too much character for some

this would be assuming you have one more LDC with more character than the 414, but maybe not so specific and unique as the AEA

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
dismaus82
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post

this would be assuming you have one more LDC with more character than the 414, but maybe not so specific and unique as the AEA
To your *ears*, which LDC's fall into that category? Just trying to gather up as many educated opinions as possible.
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismaus82 View Post
Just trying to gather up as many educated opinions as possible.
try a search for "mics with character"
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Character combined with very, very high sound quality (no noise, superb sensitivity, high SPL): Brauner Valvet X. It has a very upfront sound with airy highs and deep, transparent lows. A rare beast.

And yes, AKG C414 is a real work horse in almost every field. If you can do with cardioid-only, a Violet The Globe will work in a lot of situations too.
dismaus82
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dafo View Post
try a search for "mics with character"
I want to interact with people directly instead of flipping through pages of opinions that turn 180º from post to post. I already know about tons of character mics. I want to get advice from real engineers who understand my criteria and situation.
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismaus82 View Post
I want to interact with people directly instead of flipping through pages of opinions that turn 180º from post to post. I already know about tons of character mics. I want to get advice from real engineers who understand my criteria and situation.
try listing a specific microphone then. tons of mics have "character." your post is so broad that it is hard to establish a discourse. it would be easier if you narrow down your lists to a half dozen or so of each category, consider the applications you want to use them in, and post specific questions or do specific searches about those mics.

ps. a budget for each would actually help narrow the field quite a bit.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search