Play as you pay... Zzounds?
Creami
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear interested

Play as you pay... Zzounds?

Has anyone used this feature "play as you pay" from zzounds? Is it really just the small up front fee with no interest? Do you have to have excellent credit or something ? Is there even a credit check? I am thinking about using it, but want to make sure I'm not over looking anything.

To my understanding you make the first payment out of four payments right off, and then they withdrawal the following payments on 30, 60, & 90 day marks from your debit, or credit card, right?
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear addict

I've used them and AMS many times this way...no problems.
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, it's the only way I've been able to afford some of my equipment. I use it two or three times a year. They do a credit check, though I don't know the minimum credit score.
Creami
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear interested

Hey thanks for sharing the knowledge. I appreciate it! I think I'll give it a try.
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear addict

A fee is interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creami View Post
Has anyone used this feature "play as you pay" from zzounds? Is it really just the small up front fee with no interest? Do you have to have excellent credit or something ? Is there even a credit check? I am thinking about using it, but want to make sure I'm not over looking anything.

To my understanding you make the first payment out of four payments right off, and then they withdrawal the following payments on 30, 60, & 90 day marks from your debit, or credit card, right?
If there is a small upfront fee, then that is the interest. I would do the math to determine what the APR is and compare that with other options, such as a credit card or a personal loan from the bank. Or, consider saving up for the purchase (but, I understand how painful that can be waiting to play).

14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

I use it all the time the fee is minimal, the selection is very limited. I have used my paypal debit card without problems.
They are helpful and understanding with the useual stuff that happens like credit cards expireing or being closed in the middle of a payment plan, even when a large transaction put my card at it's daily limit, one phone call they put it through 24 hours latter!
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear maniac

I've used it several times and it's as straightforward as it seems.
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for food

Doesn't Guitar Center own Zsounds? I always get confused on who owns who.
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Doesn't Guitar Center own Zsounds? I always get confused on who owns who.
I think youre confusing it with musicians friend.com

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear
Any audio store that does something like this in UK>?
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstudios View Post
I think youre confusing it with musicians friend.com

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
I think Guitar Center also owns and runs Zzounds and a couple of others too. Or maybe it was AMS that owns zzounds. There was a chart one time that showed who owned what.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Gear addict

The selection had gotten limited than when I first tried it...my first score was a Distressor from AMS or ZZounds (they seem to be the same business, am I wrong?)...not that many things I even want anymore.

I'm actually paying off a pair of mixcubes right now.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Zzounds and AMS are part of the same company. The only GC connection is the guy who founded AMS sold is prior company to GC.

The thing is they will run a credit report if the purchase is over $949 other wise if you have valid MC or Visa your good to go!
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

kind of limited in selection but zzounds is great if you want to split something up into 4 payments. I use them for that sometimes.
Creami
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Zzounds and AMS are part of the same company. The only GC connection is the guy who founded AMS sold is prior company to GC.

The thing is they will run a credit report if the purchase is over $949 other wise if you have valid MC or Visa your good to go!
Ddageek, thanks for this. *I really didn't want to have them pull my credit and risk knocking off points. *Since what I was going to purchase is around $600 I guess I am good for them not to pull? *I sort of figured they have a limit that they check your *credit, I just didn't know what it was.
PDC
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I think Guitar Center also owns and runs Zzounds and a couple of others too. Or maybe it was AMS that owns zzounds. There was a chart one time that showed who owned what.
They are not the same.
Jtt
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Jtt
Gear nut

Save your money, pay cash. Use what you've got until then. I might be alone on this, but putting gear on any kind of credit is a dangerous road to go down.

Jtt
Creami
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
Save your money, pay cash. Use what you've got until then. I might be alone on this, but putting gear on any kind of credit is a dangerous road to go down.

Jtt
Words of wizdom Jtt. Usually I always do but since I already have more than half the funds I figured i would make an exception.
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Gear interested

I have used ZZounds pay as you play: its great! It amazes me that I can select an item and a few days later its on my doorstep with a payment plan I can live with.
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creami View Post
Words of wizdom Jtt. Usually I always do but since I already have more than half the funds I figured i would make an exception.
I have used AMS multiple payment plan several times over the years. There is a small fee on the first payment and no interest. The fee is not interest, it is a processing fee.. and again, very small. I bought a Yamaha MOX6 late last year splitting the payments and the processing fee was like $3.95. The MOX6 is around $1,200 new. Also, since I had most of the money, instead of 3 or 5 payments, I asked them to just split it into two. Absolutely no problem. I don't recall a credit check, but I am returning customer and had other things split in the past. So they must have done a credit check on my years ago for this. It is a great deal if you don't have the full cash right away. They aren't greedy and charge interest -- is the best part.

And I think the processing fee is cheap. Afterall, they have to pay a worker to take the time out and process your payment each time it is due. It is not a computer processing it. And if there are any problems, they contact you and allow you to straighten it out. I personally think it is a great offer... which makes me shop at AMS before any other online store. I'll go elsewhere if they don't have the product I need. Otherwise, their prices are always competetive and I can split up the payments (interest free).
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Gear addict

I've done it before as well. I just wish they carried more products that I was interested in.
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Gear maniac

I have used AMS a few times, they price match, i bought my DM 4800 with the if-fw card in it. I found both items for less and they knocked around 400.00 total off the price
24th August 2012
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

From what I understand, there is no credit check on the 3 payment plan, but there is on anything higher (5 payments, 8 payments, etc.).
22nd October 2012
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear interested

Just purchased some items using their four payment plan. Bought $300 worth, but tried it out to see how this payment plan fared. Ordering was simple. To request the 4 payment plan, all you have to do is check the 4-payment plan checkbox and supply your SSN. That was it. I have bought other things fron zZounds and have always been happy!

**I actually saved a total of $98 on their price matching for this order! Please try it! All you have to do is Google what you want, and if you find it cheaper, let them know, zZounds will match it and even reduce the price a bit more. Out of 7-8 price matches, they have matched all of them.
22nd October 2012
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
From what I understand, there is no credit check on the 3 payment plan, but there is on anything higher (5 payments, 8 payments, etc.).
No. the credit check is based on the order total amount, not number of payments. I believe anything below $1000 there is no credit check. Anything $1k and above, there is. Unless they changed the rules recently, that is the going rule for those that split up the payment. And instead of making 8 payments, if you want to make less, just call them. They are pretty reasonable. Ordering online gives you less options.

Again, in this fast paced capitalized world, it is difficult to find reasonable financing anymore. With this... no interest and a small $3.95 fee on the first payment... dang, you can't beat that! I just purchased an Ovation 1865 Balladeer with 3 payments. Simple, easy and reasonable. And it is the first guitar I bought new online that had the luthier name who checked the guitar before packing. Unlike expensive Martins I bought, this needed zero adjustments when it arrived. I love Martins, but I always wanted a decent Ovation since my younger days watching Glen Campbell show! I think Mac Davis had a show and didn't he play an Ovation too? The great thing about Mac Davis show... was... he would stroll out to the audience (LIVE on air) and ask someone in the audience for a subject... and literally write, compose a song before your eyes... and each one sounded professional, rhyming and sometimes funny. Great show! Sorry to ramble...
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear interested

Hey im also wondering about this...

i used this payment plan a few years back and it was great. however i forgot if the approval was instant? or not? because i don't wanna have to wait around just to know if i got approved. i made the order today. and my order details says Order Recieved. also for everyone who says the payment plan will approve you if its less than 1000 are you sure. because im pretty sure a while back my gf tried to get something that i don't believe was over 1k and she got denied?

Last edited by TATZU; 10th February 2013 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: typo
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post

Jtt

the only exception I make to paying cash for all gear, is if I have an upcoming GIG, that REQUIRES this piece of gear.

that's GIG as in a paying job
(as opposed to upcoming freebie benefit show)

and REQUIRES as in I can not be hired for this job if I do not own this equipment or its equivalent
(as opposed to "sure would be great to have a shiny new mic for this session")
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes credit is something to be careful with, like alcohol. But for any website that takes PayPal there is Billmelater.com I have had good luck with them so far. It was easy to sign up, and easy to use.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Since the fee is only $4 it is nothing like using credit. More like the old lay away plans. Buying like this is smart money as long as you can afford it. I did an 8 pay on a $2800 guitar for a fee of $3.95...pretty cool.

The only problem I see is you can start to over buy when it is this easy/affordable.

I do believe the credit requirement or score needs to be pretty good.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear interested

i have done zzounds

I have done sweetwater, AMS and zzounds .. and zzounds by far has the very best financing... I have purchased orders anywhere from 300.00 to 1500.00 and never once did they run my credit ... I just actually placed another order with them today for 1300.00 and they will ship it out tomorrow and since i live in PA, it will be here friday ( the next day ) ... If you never ordered from zzounds.com all i personally will ask of you is make your payments.. i have read where ppl arent making their payments and they are burning zzounds for payments and all they are doing is ruining it for the rest of us ... i have used zzounds ALOT for the past few yrs, that is the only way i can afford what I have. the order today for 1300 included a bass guitar that was listed for 10 payments so everything in that order gets split in 10 payments as well. half way through this order, i will again make another order, except that order will be 2,000... i am sure they wont run my credit or anything since all they have to do is just look at my history with them and see that I have paid off everything i have ordered on time. i just wish zzounds would go public and have a brick and border store so they can put guitar center out of business ...

by the way, from what I have heard, zzounds is NOT owned by AMS ... Both founders of zzounds and AMS once worked together for the same company and now are competitors....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search