Good guitar delay for distortion?
New Reply
Subscribe
ChaosCreation
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Most delays dont handle distortion that well i like long tails and some spaceage stuff ? What do u guy recommend on a budget? Reverb delay combo would be good ?
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Head

The Nova Delay is a great pedal. The analog emulation or "tape" sounds good. A Keeley nodded DL-4 is also great.
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Ive never really had an issue with finding a good delay for distorted guitar sounds, even the stock on in cubase doesnt sound so bad.. And sometimes Ill just record with my delay pedal instead of trying to add it later.

But for a budget, have you looked at ValhallaDSP yet? His latest plug could be perfect for you. Check the thread in the new product section.

ValhallaDSP
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

What do you mean most delays don't handle disortion? How are you distorting? Generally - barring the exceptions - you want the delay to come after distortion. So most delays sound good after a pedal into a cleanish amp. But generally - barring the exeptions - most delays sound crap if you then follow it with a distortion pedal or a cranked amp.

So if you want to use amp distortion, you would generally want to insert the delay into the effects loop to avoid this problem.

The Line6 FX are rather good for delays - plenty of models to choose from. Sometimes a simple clean digital delay works best with distortion ... sometimes you want modulation ... sometimes you want a darker analog or tube or tape sound - Line6 can do it all, with tap tempo if you need it. I use Pods but you might consider an M series.

If you are too cool for digital then there are plenty of analog options with far less options and possibly a little more mojo, if you find a lucky combination. Frankly, I would rather have a range of digital options first up, and IF you find yourself only ever using the analog models then perhaps buy the real thing. But digital delays have been part of many classic guitar tracks for decades.
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCreation View Post
Most delays dont handle distortion that well i like long tails and some spaceage stuff ? What do u guy recommend on a budget? Reverb delay combo would be good ?
most delays i've used sound fantastic with distortion. some pedals might clip if you feed em too much gain.

what's the budget? mono-stereo? what's your power supply situation look like?

for <$150 new i like:
Line6 Echo Park - stereo, reverse, tape emulation, tap tempo is a lil tricky to learn as it shares the same switch as off
Akai E2 Headrush - mono, looper, does an ok tape emulation, tap tempo, GC was blowing these out for $100 before xmas but i think that deal has passed.

if yer willing to spend a lil more there's Boss Re-20 Space Echo, some great delay pedals from Strymon, & the grandaddy of them all the EHX Memory Man.

Reverb on a budget i'd look at the Boss Rv-5, TC Hall of Fame, & EHX Holy Grail. all 3 should pair ok with any of the above.

shop around, watch some yt demo's. look up some musicians you admire & see what they use.
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Live or studio? Real amp or virtual? The original post gives us no clue ...
ChaosCreation
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Here is the deal
I like to play thru my blackstar 20w
I tried the tc nova and it wasnt as good as my plugins .

So than i ran my plugin thru the amp thru its inserts from
The duet and it just didnt sound great loss of quality but it sounds what i wanted the psp 84 sounds great but thru my guitar samp from the effects loop there is a loss.

I want a pedal w many options spacey reverb and delay that really lets my have long repeats , i noticed the mxr carbon copy worked w clean not distortion , howeer when it comes to pure delay while tecording the plugs do great ,

So whats a gooddelay reverb combo that has lots of out if the ordinary options
Cave settings long tails etc ?

Budget 300 max i cant have my delay more than my amp!
ChaosCreation
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

This is just for use w my guitar amp playing i have the plugs i want on my computer
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

why not have the delay cost more than the amp? This is about making music, not balancing a spredsheet. The cost of things is irrelevant if it sounds good.

A Line6 Pod or M series will give you want you want, and much more. The older models are fine, since you will probably be disabling the amp models. I say probably, because the combination of digital and analog can be amazing ....

Personlly, I would go for a floor version Pod, because the wahs and volume etc are brilliant too. Plus it puts the tap tempo switch where you need it.
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear maniac

as mentioned, you should run the delay in the effects loop of the amp if you use any amp distortion.

it should not be difficult to get good delay sounds if you do this.

the boss dd-20 works great in the effects loop and has tons of options, and is well under $300.
ChaosCreation
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

how about the mxr carbon copy? i ran it from guitar to distortion to delay but not effects loop?

would it of been better?
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
how about the mxr carbon copy? i ran it from guitar to distortion to delay but not effects loop?

would it of been better?
If you were getting most of your distortion from the pedal then you've probably heard it at it's best. What didn't you like about the sound? Real analog is IMO nicer on cleanish character stuff, where the dull fuzzy echo sounds more real and rootsy sounding. If you are wanting a more modern sound you will probably prefer a digital delay. Try the Line6 stuff - its hugely popular for good reason.

Does your FX return operate in series/insert or parallel/send? The most ideal is parallel, so you can use a delay at 100% wet and layer it over your amp sound. Not all delay pedals can do 100% wet though ...
ChaosCreation
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

the boss re 20 looks like what im looking for? spacey? reverb long tails? just wanna check before i purchase
ChaosCreation
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

what im looking for is big cavern revbs combined with long delay times..........
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
what im looking for is big cavern revbs combined with long delay times..........
Like I said ... check out a fcking Line6 Pod or M series FX pedal ...

The Boss delay is just delay. The Line6 gves you choices of delay types, with choices of reverb types. Also phasers and flangers and chorus and very spacy FX ... the ability to store and recall your sounds is priceless, plus you can control pedals if you want, and tap temp becomes important if you need to sync with other players ...
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

ooops - Sorry - the RE20 is better than the small Boss pedals I was thinking about. I don't thnk it has reverb, and its only trying to be a specific Tape Delay machine. You owe it to yourself to check it out, but also compare with the Line6 stuff which offers a lot more.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Gear addict

15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Very happy with the TC Electronic Flashback, even without the tone print stuff. The tape delay is very, very good and plays well with overdrive/fuzz before it.
mBox Pro 3, Pro Tools 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.2
Radial JDI x 2, ProD2, ProRMP
'59? Bogen Challenger CHA-33, '65 Fender Tremolux, Bandmaster & Showman; '74 Princeton, '77 Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z. Mini Z, pedals, George L's cabling
'65 Farfisa Compact Duo
www.facebook.com/thetoysband
ChaosCreation
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

I tried the line six spider amp stuff and thought the delays were weak and the amp sounded plastic, so would running a line 6 effects thru my tube amp soound better or just crumble the sound ?
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried the line six spider amp stuff and thought the delays were weak and the amp sounded plastic, so would running a line 6 effects thru my tube amp soound better or just crumble the sound ?
The Spiders are low end toys for a particular market ... that's not the FX units I was talking about.

Have a look at the hugely famous guitar players who actually use Line6 FX in their rigs ... Some Boss stuff is ok too. TC and Eventide are nice if you have money.

To a certain extent ALL digital FX inserted into an amp loop will make your sound smaller. Especially if you don't know what you are doing. You say you want huge cavenous delay and reverbs ... the absolute best way to do this is actually a three amp system. Keep your tube amp dry and up the middle, and use a stereo pair just for the 100% wet FX. Could be a pair of cheap solid state amps.

Is this for stage or studio? Normally for studio you would apply the reverb at mix time. Delay can work best before the speakers so the player can interact with it. But delay can be applied in the mix. Different strokes.
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
the old Boss Analog Delay is great! the EHX ones are great, the memory man especially. I'm a huge fan of the darker analog delays, although there are some great digital ones in stompbox form too.

the boss dd7 is very versatile

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

I just use a Holy Grail Reverb going into an Ibanez Analog Delay (the big black and purple one) and it does the trick for me. I generally get distortion out of my amp (Gibson SG > Vox AC-30 Reissue) but sometimes I'll goose it with an Analog-Man King of Tone or MXR Micro Amp.
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

So u think i should try the line 6 stop box stuff? Dnt compare it to the amps?

Im
No pro , im
Not even a great guiarist i just like to hear what i enjoy playing thru my amp ! I hate using my duet amd sending it out thru amp
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Gear maniac

The boss re-20 is a great delay pedal.... IF you like the sound of the old Roland space echo.
It is a pretty accurate model, yes I have compared them side by side and I was impressed enough that I now have 2 boss re-20s... They just work well for me.

If you don't like the Roland space echo sound, do not get one.
It works well in an effects loop, which is where I run mine, and I run mine 100% wet in a parallel mixer. Some of the modes include reverb, just like the original.

The boss dd-20 has presets, the re-20 does not.
The dd-20 also works well in the fx loop, and has alot more modes to choose from.

Both very useful.

The delays that I use with my various guitar rigs are:
Boss re-20 (x2)
Boss dd-20
Boss dd-5
Boss dd-7
Boss rdd-20
Boss dm-2 (mn3005 version)
Electro harmonix deluxe memory man w/tap tempo

I also have
Diamond memory lane 2
Line 6 echo pro
But I only use them for recording as the options they afford me don't work well in a live performance context, although I do find them very usable for recording applications.

For what you have described, the re-20 would probably work well.
I have never used the line 6 pedal delays myself, the feature set just doesn't work for me.
I don't think they sound bad though.
ChaosCreation
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Ok
I think i need a separate verb pedal and delay

What reverb can give me sounds similar to logics space designer canyon settings ? And tree tops
The tc hall of fame is to natural sounding .......

I also
Dont think the earthcrushers reverb was big enough ?
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

DD 20 - best I've used. The repeat image is almost exactly like the original sound. Many delays have rolled off Hi EQ and the repeat is muffled. The DD20 keeps the repeat intact for the intial few repeats.
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear addict

I'm a big fan of the dd-20, I really like how you can set the bpm when recording with it. Sounds really good to me!
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Gear addict

One thing to your consideration. Stereo sounds very different than mono. Especial reverbs. I dont think one box would fit your need. Especial at your price range. Digital reverbs also have alot of high end information, which doesnt translate too good on limited guitar speakers.

I dont understand the part of delays not working with high gain.....
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I don't understand any of it.
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search