Plugin for finding the BPM of audio?
New Reply
Subscribe
Devon8822
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear addict

Plugin for finding the BPM of audio?

Is there a plugin out there that can tell me the exact BPM of audio recordings of guitar riffs?
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

A stopwatch?

-R
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
Is there a plugin out there that can tell me the exact BPM of audio recordings of guitar riffs?
I don't have an answer to the question, but it's an interesting one! I would be really impressed if you could run a solo'd guitar riff through a plugin and get a more accurate BPM than a human could estimate. If the guitar riff is extremely rhythmic, that's one thing, but guitar riffs are often NOT..

If you've got an effects processor that has tap tempo, it takes about 5 seconds to get a BPM. And for that matter, I would say it would be pretty accurate. I use my Kurzweil Rumour for that all the time. If you tap for about 10 seconds and you've got a constant number on display, I'd bet on those results!
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Guru

I have a tap tempo app for the iPod, and tap tempo buttons on a couple of effect boxes

how much more "exact" than tap tempo do you need?

if the guitar riff was performed "at" a tempo, to a click, it will likely be an integer

and if it was not, then it will likely vary anyway, so close is close enough.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear addict

I have the tap app on my iPhone, but Logic has a BPM Counter built in. I've used it a couple of times with imported files and it's been very handy!
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear maniac

If you are using Pro Tools, you can identify beats and it will tell you the tempo. I'm not sure what other DAWs have similar features, but my guess is that there are many.
Devon8822
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear addict

I need it because my acoustic tunes generally vary in tempo riff by riff by up to 5 bpm up and down, and i want to be able to have these tempo variations with my click track. When i record without a click there is also tempo swaying that is not favourable, which is why i'd like the best of both worlds. hmm the built in logic bpm counter didnt seem to work for guitar riffs.
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
I need it because my acoustic tunes generally vary in tempo riff by riff by up to 5 bpm up and down, and i want to be able to have these tempo variations with my click track. When i record without a click there is also tempo swaying that is not favourable, which is why i'd like the best of both worlds. hmm the built in logic bpm counter didnt seem to work for guitar riffs.
Cut the measures up by hand.

Adjust tempo by locators.

Tweak the Klopfgeist click in the tempo conductor manually.

It'll get you pretty damn close, and won't take forever, once you learn how to do it.

SM.
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
maybe you could try playing a cowbell or drum along with the guitar and recording that. The software might have an easier time generating a Tempo Map from something sharp and percussive like the cowbell, but have difficulty with something like guitar.
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search