SOundcraft ghost 32 vs Midas venice f32 or alternatives
insect1
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

SOundcraft ghost 32 vs Midas venice f32 or alternatives

My ghost is developing major problems and will prob cost at least 1k to fix, plus carriage and loss of work etc...wondering if i should bite the bullet and buy a new console..Really like the Ghosts accessibility, mic pres, eq and warmth..but thinkin the midas looks good due to the firewire connection, and have used it live and find the eqs to be musical and the sound heavy....Anyone experience the pair ? Any obvious drawbacks of goin from scraft to f32 ?
Any alternatives in a similar price range ???
insect1
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear maniac

Bump bump..
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

I saw this thread yesterday and meant to write you. Sorry you had to bump it.

You've stated that it would cost only about $1k to go through the board. All the companies that modify the Ghost charge about $5k for it and while I've never worked on a modified one, I hear some quite good things about it when finished.

It would cost about as much for a decent board, even a used one to compete with what you already have. If you know what the problem is, I'd send individual channels or busses in to Creation Audio Labs(Creation Audio Labs - Boutique Gear and Pro Audio Upgrades - Upgrade Mod Soundcraft Ghost Studio consoles) and have them deal with your issue at hand. If you're used to working on that board, you may or may not get the results you're looking for by going with a live board like a Midas over a Ghost which is intended for studio workflow.

So ultimately, at least by reading your original post, it sounds like you may just be looking for a change, possibly out of boredom or maybe not, and what's dangerous about that is that like relationships, the grass is almost never greener on the other side. If you know the board well, know the EQ well, know its gain staging, etc....you may just need to dismiss your boredom with what you have, bite the bullet and fix it for $1k which is a whole lot better and cheaper than spending what you'd need to spend on something that will event compete with it(midas/toft).

I hope I've give at least some food for thought...best wishes in your search...
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear maniac

I'm curious to know what the major problems are that you're having. There are TRS insert connectors that came stock on that board that are total garbage - but extremely cheap and easy to change out. All the channels, subs and 2 buss outs normal through these connectors so if they're the source of the problem it can seem really ominous - but it's actually a very simple fix.

I've been upgrading my Ghost for about 6 months or so two or three pieces at a time.
So far I've swapped out the master section, 3/4 of the sub-masters and half of the channels and I'll certainly vouch for the CAL mods. The board sounds MUCH better than a stock Ghost. It's really a pleasure to hear.

If you're not uncomfortable opening up the board and working on it (and you shouldn't own a board that you're uncomfortable opening - any board is going to need periodic maintenance and repair that it simply isn't practical to farm out) you'll find it's extremely inexpensive and easy to do. Folks often site that $5000 price tag for the upgrade but it isn't nearly that expensive...unless you insist on having the whole thing done in one swoop. If you pace yourself and do the refit incrementally it's actually very reasonable and you don't have to take the board out of service. Start out by changing out the parts you have problems with first and move through the rest of the board one or two modules at a time.
insect1
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear maniac

Hi, thx to both of you for the words/advice...
My main enemy is time as i have to complete an album within weeks..and am way behind..
There are major problems with increasing distortion/disintegration and finally silence, randomly and periodically via the output masters..also the headphone socket which is also linked to output controls is cutting out..the problems have gotten worse in the last couple of weeks....I am pretty sure dust, humidity and circuit contamination are the main culprits which have led to this persistant cutting out of levels(When i reboot the desk, it returns to normal for varying periods of time)..It started with just the left out, but now the right out has begun doing it unpredictably too...
Unfortunately i dont know anyone who does ghost mods in the uk, and also unfortunately it would take time and serious effort to get the unit looked out/diagnoed/fixed by soundcraft..so i was thinkin of just cutting my losses and using the time to go for the midas f32....(I have used the standard 32 for live work many times, and i reckon the eq/sound and performance are cool in that enviroment....)..But as stated at the head, i absolutely need to be workin not waiting for the repairs..pressure is on...
So really just wanting to know who has used both and if anyone can compare, or open me up to a new alternative....
thx again
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Tough boat you're in my friend. Any chance of mixing the project on someone else's console just for this project so you get it done and don't ruin your reputation of timeliness? I'm lucky, if my board goes does down, I have a friend that lets me rent his 9000J room for $40/hr. Any way of striking a deal with someone to help you out in a pinch?
12th January 2012
Old 12th January 2012
Gear maniac

Don't get discouraged. About a year ago I was in the same boat; I was pretty sure my ghost was ready for the scrap heap too. But I was pretty surprised to learn just how easy they can be to service and how much more fun they are to use after you hot-rod them. No hiccups, a LOT less noise and just a more pleasing, musical tone.

I would give the folks at Creation Audio Labs a call and see if they can talk you through trouble shooting it so you can at least finish the project you're working on and put off any drastic decisions for the moment.

I think what you describe might actually narrow down the problem a little. It may just be a problem in the monitor section. If you're seeing the VUs on the stereo buss bounce even though you aren't hearing anything from your monitors it's possibly the TRS connector on the headphone jack; for some reason they made the entire monitor output normal through that connector. The first thing I would try is to figure out if anything is actually coming out of the left and right outputs - as opposed to your CRM output. If there is then all you might have to do is replace that trs connector and maybe even the monitor volume pot. Not too big a deal. You could even finish your project by monitoring the output from your mixdown deck.

If the VUs aren't bouncing it may point more toward the mix insert. Do you have anything strapped across the inserts?

See if you can route through mix B and get any kind of result there.

Best of luck & keep us posted!
12th January 2012
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
Don't get discouraged. About a year ago I was in the same boat; I was pretty sure my ghost was ready for the scrap heap too. But I was pretty surprised to learn just how easy they can be to service and how much more fun they are to use after you hot-rod them. No hiccups, a LOT less noise and just a more pleasing, musical tone.

I would give the folks at Creation Audio Labs a call and see if they can talk you through trouble shooting it so you can at least finish the project you're working on and put off any drastic decisions for the moment.

I think what you describe might actually narrow down the problem a little. It may just be a problem in the monitor section. If you're seeing the VUs on the stereo buss bounce even though you aren't hearing anything from your monitors it's possibly the TRS connector on the headphone jack; for some reason they made the entire monitor output normal through that connector. The first thing I would try is to figure out if anything is actually coming out of the left and right outputs - as opposed to your CRM output. If there is then all you might have to do is replace that trs connector and maybe even the monitor volume pot. Not too big a deal. You could even finish your project by monitoring the output from your mixdown deck.

If the VUs aren't bouncing it may point more toward the mix insert. Do you have anything strapped across the inserts?

See if you can route through mix B and get any kind of result there.

Best of luck & keep us posted!
THIS! When I got mine - this is the first thing the tech at Soundcraft told me.. and promptly had me order an extra one.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search