Login / Register

Are your DAW converters a factor with VST samplers?
New Reply
Subscribe
skiroy
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to skiroy
Are your DAW converters a factor with VST samplers?

Obviously when you record live instruments its a factor,but if I were using VST samplers like reason or Kontakt for certain elements in a track does my interface's converters effect the sound?

Does a M-audio vs a Apogee interface matter when recording midi parts via VST samplers?

I know the converters effects whats recorded in as audio and how you hear the playback. But when you bounce VST sampler parts are your converters also responsible for the VST sampler's audio or is the conversion to audio done by the VST's sound engines? Or is it done by Protool's(or whatever DAW) sound engine?

Just curious with all they Reason and all in the box producers,which I record live instruments and use reason as a tool, if it even matters whether they have a Apogee or a M-Audio interface?
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

No.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Obviously when you record live instruments its a factor,but if I were using VST samplers like reason or Kontakt for certain elements in a track does my interface's converters effect the sound?

Does a M-audio vs a Apogee interface matter when recording midi parts via VST samplers?

I know the converters effects whats recorded in as audio and how you hear the playback. But when you bounce VST sampler parts are your converters also responsible for the VST sampler's audio or is the conversion to audio done by the VST's sound engines? Or is it done by Protool's(or whatever DAW) sound engine?

Just curious with all they Reason and all in the box producers,which I record live instruments and use reason as a tool, if it even matters whether they have a Apogee or a M-Audio interface?
You say samplers as opposed to sample playback engines. Obviously, if one is sampling, one's ADC will be a factor. If one is simply playing back 3rd party samples, no.

With regard to bouncing -- if you bounce within the digital domain -- via software, if you will -- your DAC will have no effect on the final product (although, of course, your mix decisions may well be influenced by what you hear through your DAC). If, OTOH, you are bouncing 'out' via DAC and then back [through a patch cable] in through ADC, then both 'sides' of your converter will be affecting the sound.

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

This brings up a controversial issue about whether the clock of your interface is affecting the quality of the sound when doing a real time bounce to disc. My ears tell me that, yes, it does make a difference.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Or the fact that what the converters are doing before the monitors... I would venture to say that the D to A should be as clean as possible.. Which is kind of hard to get with most M-Audio interfaces.

What you are hearing is super important to how you tweak the sounds and then therefore how others hear those same sounds.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search