Hear Everything through Headphones
undream
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Hear Everything through Headphones

I've been struggling to find different solutions to my simple problem. Here is a simple question:

As an on-board card user, when I use a DAW software; it takes the control of my card and I can not hear anyting ELSE than the DAW itself through my headphones (skype, youtube, or anything else running in the background).

All I want to do at this moment, is to be able to hear everything, plus my DAW at the same time through my headphones. Is this possible with an external audio card ? (An M-Audio, or anything) ? If it is, how do you set the levels of seperate audio (from softwares) coming to the headphones seperately ?

I guess this time I have a clear question on the table ! Ideas anyone ?!
IRA
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
IRA
Gear nut

Are you using windows or Mac? With my current set up in Win7 I can select under sound preferences in windows and in my DAW to use either the computers card or my external audio card. When both use the external, I hear everything through my card. I can even have my computer's card play windows stuff and only have my DAW use the external card.

Short answer: yes, an external will play all sounds.

To adjust the levels (in windows) the bottom right sound options gives you a mini mixer type of faders to adjust each application volume (works even if using external audio card).
undream
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Thank you for the reply... I hear: I need an audio interface with multi-client support. Is this true ?
What is your audio-card ? (brand and model please)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search